Expired Hot Deals

[uber] UberPOOL Launches in Scarborough and Brampton with $5 flat fares to and from 4 transit stations

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 4:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25057 posts
5548 upvotes
GTHA

UberPOOL Launches in Scarborough and Brampton with $5 flat fares to and from 4 transit stations

Deal Link:
Price:
$5
Expiry:
June 1, 2017
Retailer:
uber
It’s been 1 year since uberPOOL launched in Toronto and it’s incredible to see riders across the GTA embrace carpooling and share their ride. More people in fewer cars means less congestion on our roads. To date, uberPOOL riders in Toronto have already contributed to saving over 4.6million kilometres driven and cut a potential of 500,000 kgs of CO2 emissions in our city.

Starting today, uberPOOL will also be available in Brampton and Scarborough. Now people on the go in these cities will have the option to share their ride with others heading the same way at the same time. With more people in fewer cars, riding becomes more affordable and there is less time between trips for drivers.

To help riders in the GTA get around with ease and celebrate the expansion of uberPOOL, trips to or from 4 major transit stations (up to 10km) are now a $5 flat fare*.
  • Brampton GO Station
  • Mount Pleasant GO Station
  • Scarborough GO Station
  • Kennedy TTC Station

How it works:
  1. Set your destination on the “Where To?” bar, anywhere in the uberPOOL service area
  2. Select uberPOOL and request your ride
  3. Enjoy a ride to any of the above transit stations for $5 flat*

Learn more about uberPOOL here.

Have questions? Get answers to frequently asked questions about uberPOOL here.

Expanded uberPOOL coverage area
Screen-Shot-2017-04-11-at-12.30.31-PM.png

*Available for a limited time, until June 1, 2017. Trips must be taken within 10km of transit station. No promotion code required
Last edited by tk1000 on Apr 12th, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14825 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
anyone take uberpool before?

my coworker took it and he told me a 5min drive takes abt 30 min since they detour to pick up ppl along the way and you have to wait for ppl outside their house... while u wait they get more detour requests and so on.

anyone corroborate?
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3514 posts
445 upvotes
actng wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 11:03 pm

my coworker took it and he told me a 5min drive takes abt 30 min since they detour to pick up ppl along the way and you have to wait for ppl outside their house... while u wait they get more detour requests and so on.

anyone corroborate?
Sounds about right. A passenger who takes UberPool is usually one who's gambling that they don't get matched or previously used public transit to get around.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... -lyft-line
Nov 27, 2004
72 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I took Uber Pool once a few months ago, from my home to Pearson Airport with a friend. It cost $33 and no one was picked up on the way. This same trip is $65 plus tips by taxi. I would try it again if I have the slack time to get somewhere.
Sep 29, 2008
749 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
actng wrote:

anyone corroborate?
I'm interested in knowing what kind of vehicle your friend was picked up in? Was it a school bus or a limousine type car?

Reason I ask is most cars carry 4 passengers that's a maximum of 3 other detours if you get picked up first.
Why was he using Uber for a 5 minute drive anyways. Doesnt make any sense.
Oct 24, 2004
520 posts
67 upvotes
I hope they bring it to Vaughan with the new subway coming.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2027 posts
623 upvotes
North York
actng wrote:
anyone corroborate?
yes it's awful.

the matching algorithm is very aggressive now.

sometimes you'll turn away from the direction of your destination, even go past where you were picked up, now driving farther from your destination, do multiple u turns going back and forth up and down an artery in busy traffic to fill the car.

oh and the worst is in a small car. it can be difficult to even physically fit 5 adults in some cars!

i've also had pools never arrive. like 5 mins turns to 10 mins after waiting 5 mins already, watching the car get farther and farther from you, and then it turns into 15 mins after 5 more.

i very rarely use pool now. only when it seems reasonable to gamble that there won't be multiple other stops.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1314 posts
326 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I hope taxi drivers and the city transit authorities fight this and ban UBER.

The race continues to lower everyone's standard of living
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2808 posts
574 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
If you are thinking taking uberpool to work, just know you will be late.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2369 posts
1414 upvotes
Most drivers dont pick up uber poo and ignore poo requests. It doesn't make them money.
Apr 7, 2011
385 posts
109 upvotes
I used Uberpool in LA and was really convenient. Somehow I don't see that working in Toronto though.
Dec 2, 2014
368 posts
102 upvotes
London, ON
flyingnurse wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 12:48 am
I hope taxi drivers and the city transit authorities fight this and ban UBER.

The race continues to lower everyone's standard of living
By providing an alternative you don't have to use?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1314 posts
326 upvotes
Brampton, ON
StarScream1337 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 8:50 am
By providing an alternative you don't have to use?
Uber drivers don't have to pay the same overhead as taxi drivers and then the issues with insurance are still unclear.

Transit runs routes that are unprofitable to ensure people can get from A to B. If Uber does this then it is potentially eliminating this and could end up costing transit users a lot more in the long run.

Besides, when taxi's are gone you think your going to enjoy that $5 dollar ride? No, Uber charges vary and I guarantee you that the $5 dollar ride will end up costing you much much more.

I am all for more competition but who draws the line? You want taxi drivers to make $10/hour? You want transit to eliminate unprofitable routes?

As I said, the race to the bottom continues
May 5, 2016
172 posts
119 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 10:25 am
Uber drivers don't have to pay the same overhead as taxi drivers and then the issues with insurance are still unclear.

Transit runs routes that are unprofitable to ensure people can get from A to B. If Uber does this then it is potentially eliminating this and could end up costing transit users a lot more in the long run.

Besides, when taxi's are gone you think your going to enjoy that $5 dollar ride? No, Uber charges vary and I guarantee you that the $5 dollar ride will end up costing you much much more.

I am all for more competition but who draws the line? You want taxi drivers to make $10/hour? You want transit to eliminate unprofitable routes?

As I said, the race to the bottom continues
You shouldn't bother with these people. they're very easily distracted by shiny objects to be capable of nuanced thought like that.
May 5, 2016
172 posts
119 upvotes
I also don't understand how this is a hot deal at all, its free advertising