Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
uber

UberPOOL Launches in Scarborough and Brampton with $5 flat fares to and from 4 transit stations

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 4:38 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

UberPOOL Launches in Scarborough and Brampton with $5 flat fares to and from 4 transit stations

Deal Link:
Price:
$5
Expiry:
June 1, 2017
Retailer:
uber
It’s been 1 year since uberPOOL launched in Toronto and it’s incredible to see riders across the GTA embrace carpooling and share their ride. More people in fewer cars means less congestion on our roads. To date, uberPOOL riders in Toronto have already contributed to saving over 4.6million kilometres driven and cut a potential of 500,000 kgs of CO2 emissions in our city.

Starting today, uberPOOL will also be available in Brampton and Scarborough. Now people on the go in these cities will have the option to share their ride with others heading the same way at the same time. With more people in fewer cars, riding becomes more affordable and there is less time between trips for drivers.

To help riders in the GTA get around with ease and celebrate the expansion of uberPOOL, trips to or from 4 major transit stations (up to 10km) are now a $5 flat fare*.
  • Brampton GO Station
  • Mount Pleasant GO Station
  • Scarborough GO Station
  • Kennedy TTC Station

How it works:
  1. Set your destination on the “Where To?” bar, anywhere in the uberPOOL service area
  2. Select uberPOOL and request your ride
  3. Enjoy a ride to any of the above transit stations for $5 flat*

Learn more about uberPOOL here.

Have questions? Get answers to frequently asked questions about uberPOOL here.

Expanded uberPOOL coverage area
Screen-Shot-2017-04-11-at-12.30.31-PM.png

*Available for a limited time, until June 1, 2017. Trips must be taken within 10km of transit station. No promotion code required
Last edited by tk1000 on Apr 12th, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17115 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
anyone take uberpool before?

my coworker took it and he told me a 5min drive takes abt 30 min since they detour to pick up ppl along the way and you have to wait for ppl outside their house... while u wait they get more detour requests and so on.

anyone corroborate?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6054 posts
2494 upvotes
actng wrote: anyone take uberpool before?

my coworker took it and he told me a 5min drive takes abt 30 min since they detour to pick up ppl along the way and you have to wait for ppl outside their house... while u wait they get more detour requests and so on.

anyone corroborate?
Sounds about right. A passenger who takes UberPool is usually one who's gambling that they don't get matched or previously used public transit to get around.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... -lyft-line
Nov 27, 2004
214 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
I took Uber Pool once a few months ago, from my home to Pearson Airport with a friend. It cost $33 and no one was picked up on the way. This same trip is $65 plus tips by taxi. I would try it again if I have the slack time to get somewhere.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
actng wrote: anyone take uberpool before?

anyone corroborate?
I'm interested in knowing what kind of vehicle your friend was picked up in? Was it a school bus or a limousine type car?

Reason I ask is most cars carry 4 passengers that's a maximum of 3 other detours if you get picked up first.
Why was he using Uber for a 5 minute drive anyways. Doesnt make any sense.
Oct 24, 2004
829 posts
192 upvotes
I hope they bring it to Vaughan with the new subway coming.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2927 posts
1515 upvotes
North York
actng wrote: anyone corroborate?
yes it's awful.

the matching algorithm is very aggressive now.

sometimes you'll turn away from the direction of your destination, even go past where you were picked up, now driving farther from your destination, do multiple u turns going back and forth up and down an artery in busy traffic to fill the car.

oh and the worst is in a small car. it can be difficult to even physically fit 5 adults in some cars!

i've also had pools never arrive. like 5 mins turns to 10 mins after waiting 5 mins already, watching the car get farther and farther from you, and then it turns into 15 mins after 5 more.

i very rarely use pool now. only when it seems reasonable to gamble that there won't be multiple other stops.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I hope taxi drivers and the city transit authorities fight this and ban UBER.

The race continues to lower everyone's standard of living
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
If you are thinking taking uberpool to work, just know you will be late.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8035 posts
8606 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Most drivers dont pick up uber poo and ignore poo requests. It doesn't make them money.
Telus $50/120GB + $0 200 USA LD (min) +$0 VVM X 1 lines
Telus $60/150GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 4 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1293 posts
1643 upvotes
ottawa
I used Uberpool in LA and was really convenient. Somehow I don't see that working in Toronto though.
Dec 2, 2014
458 posts
186 upvotes
London, ON
flyingnurse wrote: I hope taxi drivers and the city transit authorities fight this and ban UBER.

The race continues to lower everyone's standard of living
By providing an alternative you don't have to use?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
StarScream1337 wrote: By providing an alternative you don't have to use?
Uber drivers don't have to pay the same overhead as taxi drivers and then the issues with insurance are still unclear.

Transit runs routes that are unprofitable to ensure people can get from A to B. If Uber does this then it is potentially eliminating this and could end up costing transit users a lot more in the long run.

Besides, when taxi's are gone you think your going to enjoy that $5 dollar ride? No, Uber charges vary and I guarantee you that the $5 dollar ride will end up costing you much much more.

I am all for more competition but who draws the line? You want taxi drivers to make $10/hour? You want transit to eliminate unprofitable routes?

As I said, the race to the bottom continues
May 5, 2016
535 posts
547 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: Uber drivers don't have to pay the same overhead as taxi drivers and then the issues with insurance are still unclear.

Transit runs routes that are unprofitable to ensure people can get from A to B. If Uber does this then it is potentially eliminating this and could end up costing transit users a lot more in the long run.

Besides, when taxi's are gone you think your going to enjoy that $5 dollar ride? No, Uber charges vary and I guarantee you that the $5 dollar ride will end up costing you much much more.

I am all for more competition but who draws the line? You want taxi drivers to make $10/hour? You want transit to eliminate unprofitable routes?

You shouldn't bother with these people. they're very easily distracted by shiny objects to be capable of nuanced thought like that.
May 5, 2016
535 posts
547 upvotes
I also don't understand how this is a hot deal at all, its free advertising
Dec 2, 2014
458 posts
186 upvotes
London, ON
flyingnurse wrote: I am all for more competition but who draws the line? You want taxi drivers to make $10/hour? You want transit to eliminate unprofitable routes?
Bolded for lols. I've never said any of that, it seems you've made up an entire argument in your head based on what seems to be questionable assumptions like Uber suddenly gaining an airtight monopoly, so I don't know how to help you. If you want a better quality of life just leave the GTA, like I did, or stay and continue to complain that Uber is somehow driving down wages.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21628 posts
17281 upvotes
Markham
Anyone hear about someone suing UberPOOL because the person they shared a POOL with stabbed them and she felt that UBER should vet the other customers you're POOLing with.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

I think the City should encourage Car2Go car sharing (it currently only goes up to Eglinton) and people can arrange their own pools on their street or neighbourhood on a regular basis.

Imagine four neighbours taking a carshare instead of taking transit. Cost is $0.47/min (for a Mercedes Benz GLA or CLA vehicle) and that rate covers gas, parking, insurance! A 20 min ride is less than $10 shared 4 ways = $2.50 per person.

In Vancouver the the BCAA (CAA for BC) runs their own car share called EVO. If Car2Go can't be convinced to expand their coverage, perhaps get CAA to step in.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
fboybcb wrote: If you are thinking taking uberpool to work, just know you will be late.
Their routing algorithm is horrible. It will drive me almost half way to my destination, then drive back to a few blocks from my house where I was picked up, then drive me 3/4 to my destination and has to back track again. A 15-20 min ride to work could take an hour with pool and the pool discount isn't even significant anymore. $15-16 UberX or $11-12 Pool? Enough people take pool now that you more than likely will be paired with at least one other person.

Another time they routed my driver to pick someone up where you turn into the DVP. The driver couldn't stop and the other rider had to cancel.i ended up making a huge detour north until the next exit. Uber ended up sending me a bill of 22$ for my 12$ pool when I could've UberXed it for $16. When I sent them a message about it clearly stating that it wasn't my fault for the detour and that I should be charged the quoted amount, they replied that they wanted to assure me that I was indeed charged correctly and the charge is directly related to time and distance travelled. Had to send the send them another even more detailed message and got a 10$ credit.

Smart Uber drivers will ignore out of the way Pool pickup requests but Uber gives incentives to drivers who have a higher pool acceptance rate so some drivers will pick up anyone and everyone.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Does UberPool still do the $6 rush hour pools? I took one earlier this year but can't find them recently.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
flyingnurse wrote: Uber drivers don't have to pay the same overhead as taxi drivers and then the issues with insurance are still unclear.

Just to make it clear, there are no "profitable routes" in public transit.
There are less and lesser money losing routes. I think you meant rarely used routes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)