• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 8:30 am
[OP]
Oct 18, 2014
965 posts
367 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Ubereats driver ... is it worth it ?

Thinking about supplemental income as an ubereats driver ... How's the pay ? How much can you make an evening /lunch typically ... is it worth it ? Flexible ? What's your experience ? Insurance implications ? Not looking for uber regular drivers SPECIFICALLY ones experience on UBEREATS to see if it's something remotely worthwhile.
48 replies
Sep 14, 2012
263 posts
65 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Would like to hear this either. Especially the insurance implications, since yes you're still using the car for "commercial purposes", but it's far less of a liability to transport food than people.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2014
965 posts
367 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm in the suburbs bike isn't realistic things are way to spread out where bike courier for ubereats doesn't make sense. However , question still really hasn't been answered typically an hour how much can uo expect to make ? You get a t4 from über ? And yes what about insurance considered commercial or you can bypass it ... seems to be a huge grey area
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2374 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
IMHO, the way to get real answers to your questions is take an Uber and ask the drivers.
They're always very open to discussion and have always answered this questions in detail when I've asked.
None of these questions are trade secrets but to right to the source. If you've taken an Uber, you'd know these answers already to be honest.

Ps.
Google is your friend. Please use it.
https://uberpeople.net/threads/want-to- ... ons.22518/

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/ta ... -1.3462006

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/ ... uit-argues

Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2036 posts
110 upvotes
North York
Depends on how much your primary jobs pays (**taxes**). I have heard of people earning extra cash for small Chinese restaurants or pizza shops. Cash. Working part time hours. On the more legitimate route, I have a friend who delivers for UberEats and says he makes close to $20/hour.He bikes during the summer. Good exercise + get around downtown faster than driving + little vehicle maintenance cost. You can drive your bike downtown. Park your car somewhere and start work like he does sometimes. He will also do a couple of pick ups using his car if he is on call or waiting for a client for his primary job. Just sign in and wait for a request anywhere. Using your car pays a bit more because you cover more distance but please do weigh it against your mileage/gas cost. But parking can be a pain if you do plan to deliver downtown. Away from downtown or in the suburbs, parking is almost a non-issue. It doesn't hurt to sign up and give it a go. You work on your own schedule and the application process is quite simple and quick. Let us know how you find it.
Apr 21, 2009
846 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
UberEats is great. I do it only when they have "promotions" going on.

These promos usually occur when it's gonna be really busy, or when its crappy weather...or when a special event is going on in the city which is gonna cause a lot more orders than usual.

These promotions typically give UberEats couriers a couple of extra bucks per order (for me its usually an extra $4), and sometimes they just give you a guaranteed rate per hour no matter how many orders you do, so
sometimes they might say like do deliveries during this time frame and get a guaranteed $30 an hour, etc.

Also promos vary from person to person, like I might get an offer saying I will get an extra $4 per delivery, while someone else might get an extra $3 per delivery. They have algorithms to determine who gets what offer.

A few days ago they had an extra $4 per order promo going on, and I earned around an average of $37 an hour after dividing what I made that night by the number of hours I worked.

I do Eats on bike in the summer as its a good way to get paid to do cardio, and the rest of the year I just do it in a car because its cold.

But if you plan on doing Eats when theres no promo going on, you can expect to earn an average of ~$4.xx - $6.xx per delivery.
If theres promos going on you typically earn $7.xx-9.xx per delivery.

YMMV

Also, to answer your questions

How's the pay ? --> Read above

How much can you make an evening /lunch typically ... is it worth it ? I don't really do lunch as I like to avoid traffic + I prefer driving at night when its dark and roads are typically dead... If I do EATS I head out around 7pm. By car you can typically do 3-4 deliveries per hour, and with no promos that comes out to about low 20s an hour, depends on how far each order was and stuff. And sometimes you get lucky with double orders (2 orders from same restaurant)

Flexible ? Super flexible...turn on the app whenever you want, turn it off whenever you want...

What's your experience ? Great way to make some side income, and in the summer, if you do it on a bike, your literally getting paid to exercise...

Insurance implications ? Not really. I didn't tell my insurance company I do UberEats...it's not like your transporting people (like you do in UberX)....so no complications there.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2014
965 posts
367 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Sounds good... what are the insurance implications however ?
[OP]
Oct 18, 2014
965 posts
367 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Oh my bad you answered that... great post
Jul 22, 2015
172 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I started doing UberEats in Toronto. So Far worked 3 days and I've made $193.25 in 14 hours online :O
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1102 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
TorontoTacos wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 7:06 am
I started doing UberEats in Toronto. So Far worked 3 days and I've made $193.25 in 14 hours online :O
How much gas?
[OP]
Oct 18, 2014
965 posts
367 upvotes
Oakville, ON
How much data usage for those 14 hours ? Approximately how many pick up/drop offs ?
Jul 22, 2015
172 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
30 hours, 67 Trips, $420.20 net pay. I now have about one week under my belt and I now know what time to work and where to work in Toronto. The amount stated before should go up and the hours should go down.
Mar 13, 2017
133 posts
60 upvotes
I'm currently in Brampton. Would I have to venture downtown for more fares? I don't think that many people know about Uber Eats.

Is there a lot of waiting around? How much gas and wear and tear? My car is an
Last edited by RoyDavisG on Apr 24th, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)