Careers

Ubereats driver ... is it worth it ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 12:12 pm
Jan 23, 2017
428 posts
254 upvotes
Calgary
Biggest turnoff to this in my opinion is dealing with parking. Many places downtown you simply can't park for 5 minutes to pick-up​ or drop off that are within reasonable distance or are legal/won't get you ticketed.

One ticket and you'll walk away from it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36791 posts
2599 upvotes
Toronto
OKSpring wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 5:44 pm
Biggest turnoff to this in my opinion is dealing with parking. Many places downtown you simply can't park for 5 minutes to pick-up​ or drop off that are within reasonable distance or are legal/won't get you ticketed.

I remember there is a by-law that exempts people on business doing deliveries. They give the ticket, but it can be thrown out easily.

I wonder if that's true... I'm too lazy to look up by-laws. But this was indeed the case.

I wonder if this bylaw can be applied here? Or is it another case of laws not catching up with technology... They might not recognize uber as a real delivery service since its not something like... Pizza pizza or Fed EX.
Mar 13, 2017
146 posts
75 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Do you think I'd get fares in somewhere uptown maybe by Eglinton area? I really don't think that there'd be fares in Brampton for Uber Eats
Mar 25, 2017
210 posts
104 upvotes
Don't waste your time. You are better of delivering PIZZA where you'll get tips. Delivering with UberEats is a minimum wage job after you subtract gas. If you aren't driving a Corolla, Civic or a low fuel consumption vehicle its a big no no. Your best times are 5PM to 7PM and 11:30 AM to 2:PM. It was okay for a student like me to work with my moms car without flipping burgers in McDonalds. Evenings during rush hour are the worst. During those times you'll make about $15/hr. Outside those hours you are looking at $10/HR. Did it for few months, they changed the pay structure and made it hard. Past week they made it even worse. Working in rush hours meant you got double orders and that is what made it worth driving.When you get 2 double orders from one restaurant you got paid for the pick up and distance from restaurant to both locations, now the second destination is just added from your first destination which will always be closer and meaning you will be making even less. You won't be covered for the distance you travel to pick up the food. Basically you are looking at $5 to $7 per pick up LOL. Always do outside of Downtown to avoid traffic and parking tickets.

Customers are morons, the best people are old people who treat you like humans, followed by mothers. I hate delivering it to young adults. Millennials are cheap, self-entitled and always ordering from a wrong location and asking me to deliver much further for which I won't be paid. Morons can't understand why I can't take the elevator to their 43rd floor and deliver to their door for the $5.63 I got paid for. I used to send professional update texts when I pick up the food and giving them an estimation of when I'll be there and etc then I found out it was a waste of time. Some people will order food, fall a sleep on you, some won't pick up their call or reply to text. Some order food from their sibling's account without their knowledge and amount of drama I had to deal was not worth it. UberEats made me inhumane, my tolerance for stupidity became very thin. I went from a dormant to an aggressor with stupid people. I once got to a destination, called the guy to help with finding his townhome as I couldn't find it. He replied with "Find it yourself". Guess who didn't get their Wings that night ? Yup you got it. One of the best thing I like about UberEats is that transaction between the restaurant and the customer is done through Uber which has one of the worst customer supports. If a customer decides to fall a sleep after ordering food, I give a text, call and 10 minutes later I'm gone. The customer has to deal with Uber and not me or the restaurant. This helped me avoid bullshit.
Mar 13, 2017
146 posts
75 upvotes
worldpositive wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:41 pm
Don't waste your time. You are better of delivering PIZZA where you'll get tips. Delivering with UberEats is a minimum wage job after you subtract gas. If you aren't driving a Corolla, Civic or a low fuel consumption vehicle its a big no no. Your best times are 5PM to 7PM and 11:30 AM to 2:PM. It was okay for a student like me to work with my moms car without flipping burgers in McDonalds. Evenings during rush hour are the worst. During those times you'll make about $15/hr. Outside those hours you are looking at $10/HR. Did it for few months, they changed the pay structure and made it hard. Past week they made it even worse. Working in rush hours meant you got double orders and that is what made it worth driving.When you get 2 double orders from one restaurant you got paid for the pick up and distance from restaurant to both locations, now the second destination is just added from your first destination which will always be closer and meaning you will be making even less. You won't be covered for the distance you travel to pick up the food. Basically you are looking at $5 to $7 per pick up LOL. Always do outside of Downtown to avoid traffic and parking tickets.

Customers are morons, the best people are old people who treat you like humans, followed by mothers. I hate delivering it to young adults. Millennials are cheap, self-entitled and always ordering from a wrong location and asking me to deliver much further for which I won't be paid. Morons can't understand why I can't take the elevator to their 43rd floor and deliver to their door for the $5.63 I got paid for. I used to send professional update texts when I pick up the food and giving them an estimation of when I'll be there and etc then I found out it was a waste of time. Some people will order food, fall a sleep on you, some won't pick up their call or reply to text. Some order food from their sibling's account without their knowledge and amount of drama I had to deal was not worth it. UberEats made me inhumane, my tolerance for stupidity became very thin. I went from a dormant to an aggressor with stupid people. I once got to a destination, called the guy to help with finding his townhome as I couldn't find it. He replied with "Find it yourself". Guess who didn't get their Wings that night ? Yup you got it. One of the best thing I like about UberEats is that transaction between the restaurant and the customer is done through Uber which has one of the worst customer supports. If a customer decides to fall a sleep after ordering food, I give a text, call and 10 minutes later I'm gone. The customer has to deal with Uber and not me or the restaurant. This helped me avoid bullshit.
Thanks for the great insight.

But what happened to the guy who didn't get his wings? LOL. Do you get to keep the food if it's not delivered?
Jan 23, 2017
428 posts
254 upvotes
Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 5:53 pm
I remember there is a by-law that exempts people on business doing deliveries. They give the ticket, but it can be thrown out easily.

I wonder if that's true... I'm too lazy to look up by-laws. But this was indeed the case.

I wonder if this bylaw can be applied here? Or is it another case of laws not catching up with technology... They might not recognize uber as a real delivery service since its not something like... Pizza pizza or Fed EX.
There are designated delivery/courier zones for parking downtown. You need to have signage in your car.
But the likelihood of these parking zones being close enough to the restaurant OR destination won't be in your favor.

The "Sharing Economy" is really quite self serving. Initially the company launches, offers a fair deal to both parties, but then slowly starts eroding the incentive for the seller/driver.

The amount of liability these companies put people in is pretty concerning.
I've driven for Uber to see what it was all about, and do use it as a rider fairly frequently still.
Mar 25, 2017
210 posts
104 upvotes
RoyDavisG wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:48 pm
Thanks for the great insight.

But what happened to the guy who didn't get his wings? LOL. Do you get to keep the food if it's not delivered?
We are supposed to "dispose the food"(throw it away). If the order is unusually large then I return it to the restaurant to avoid any non-existing unnecessary problem, I also return food back to the restaurant if i picked up a food from restaurant i'm very familiar with. Apart from these 2 exclusions, I eat it or I take it home and then eat it. Restaurants don't like dealing with those food, so they usually tell me to "take it". You can only contact the customers when once you pick up their food through their app via text or a call. As soon as you end it, you have no connection/communication with the customer. I have no idea what happened to the guy who didn't get his wings, often time customers lie about not getting food in order to get full refund from UBER. I'm guessing he called them, they probably told him to deal with Uber or order again. He probably ordered again and disputed the earlier order. It takes at least several hours to 24 hours for them to reply. I could care less about the guy who told me "find your self". During my early UberEats days (August 2015) bunch of ghetto teens orderd $200 worth of food from Popeyes in rounds of 3. At one point I had to put on emergency signals and drive at 40KM/H to prevent the extra large drinks from spilling everywhere. Ratchet boys never came down from the apartment for 25 minutes. I waited. I can't even believe I tolerated that BS. Never deliver in a ghetto, there is a reason why some people never progress in life.
Mar 13, 2017
146 posts
75 upvotes
worldpositive wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:13 pm
We are supposed to "dispose the food"(throw it away). If the order is unusually large then I return it to the restaurant to avoid any non-existing unnecessary problem, I also return food back to the restaurant if i picked up a food from restaurant i'm very familiar with. Apart from these 2 exclusions, I eat it or I take it home and then eat it. Restaurants don't like dealing with those food, so they usually tell me to "take it". You can only contact the customers when once you pick up their food through their app via text or a call. As soon as you end it, you have no connection/communication with the customer. I have no idea what happened to the guy who didn't get his wings, often time customers lie about not getting food in order to get full refund from UBER. I'm guessing he called them, they probably told him to deal with Uber or order again. He probably ordered again and disputed the earlier order. It takes at least several hours to 24 hours for them to reply. I could care less about the guy who told me "find your self". During my early UberEats days (August 2015) bunch of ghetto teens orderd $200 worth of food from Popeyes in rounds of 3. At one point I had to put on emergency signals and drive at 40KM/H to prevent the extra large drinks from spilling everywhere. Ratchet boys never came down from the apartment for 25 minutes. I waited. I can't even believe I tolerated that BS. Never deliver in a ghetto, there is a reason why some people never progress in life.
Lmfao at driving at 40 kph....

Thanks for all the insight. I never knew that so many problems could arise and I'll definitely keep what you said at the back of my head. I'll probably give it a try, but if things get rough ill just ditch it after s couple of nights.

Although 200 dollars worth of Popeyes does sound good...
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2167 posts
534 upvotes
Mississauga
worldpositive wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 6:41 pm

I didn't think there was anything worse than retail :o
Feb 19, 2017
776 posts
367 upvotes
Viperoni wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 7:44 am
Agreed right there...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Mar 25, 2017
210 posts
104 upvotes
RoyDavisG wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:59 pm
Lmfao at driving at 40 kph....

Thanks for all the insight. I never knew that so many problems could arise and I'll definitely keep what you said at the back of my head. I'll probably give it a try, but if things get rough ill just ditch it after s couple of nights.

Although 200 dollars worth of Popeyes does sound good...
It was stupid of me to do what I did for ******** customers.
Viperoni wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 7:44 am
Never worked in retail due to my anti-social awkward behavior. I didn't want to confront people, or have people mad at me. Now that has all changed, I'm not an A-Hole but I no longer tolerate BS. I can see myself getting into verbal altercation with customers now. This was probably the only positive thing I gained from delivering for UBER, I realized that not everyone in this world treat another human being like a human being, therefore you don't have to respect them either. On the positive note, I once delivered to a house where College/Uni girls were drunk and walking around in booty shorts and thongs. I got to see the glimpse of it when the receiving girl kept the door open. It was like a hot frat party you see in movies movies except it was several girls having good time. I don't generally rate women, but they were all 9 to 10. That was probably the only thing kept me going for a while to be honest. There was a time where I called a customer to tell him/her to open the door as I was outside and I heard a voice compliment my look on Uber Profile pic and told me to" open the door, leave the food on the table and come straight up to the first room on right (or left can't remember)". I left the food at the door and got the f*** out of there. The voice sounded like an old man pretending to be a woman.

The most humiliating thing I went through was having to stand outside a pub/club (&Company and Restro Bar) in Mississauga, waiting for the chef to come outside and give me the food as I wasn't allowed to go in. I stood beside the bouncers while smoking hot girls were eyeing me up and down as if I'm some disgusting creature. If you guys are wondering what kind of girls go there, just look up pics on Instagram using " &Company and Resto Bar" as the checked in place. I got PTSD from that night. There is no way I can afford to be looked down upon like this.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2019 posts
979 upvotes
Oakville, ON
OKSpring wrote:

I work downtown Toronto and happened to be talking with a bicycle courier today waiting for the elevator. He just does courier but has a friend that seems to do OK doing Uber Eats on a bicycle.

Parking is never an issue and no parking tickets. No gas, oil, insurance, and car depreciation so operating costs are basically zero. Between people t work ordering food for lunch,?or dinner if working late + the large number or condo dwellers he said he keeps pretty busy.

Of course you have to be fit and willing to work (not to mention put yourself at the mercy of obnoxious drivers) but maybe this is an option for some.
Jul 22, 2015
176 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you don't want to work a part time job at a warehouse, retail, security, etc. Start doing UberEats. I currently work 7PM-7AM on my days off (Wed/Thu) and make about $375-$425. You literally set your own hours because you turn on the APP and start delivering. If you are going to start, here are some tips:

Use a bike or low fuel vehicle
If you don't know Toronto streets (have a good amount of Data for Google Maps)
Be very friendly (Good morning, afternoon, evening, enjoy your food, have a good night, etc.) (Overall feedback should be 95%+).
Use the delivery bag to keep the food warm!
Deliveries on Sat/Sun 7AM-1PM will net you the most money! (Downtown Toronto).
Mar 13, 2017
146 posts
75 upvotes
TorontoTacos wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 3:06 am
If you don't want to work a part time job at a warehouse, retail, security, etc. Start doing UberEats. I currently work 7PM-7AM on my days off (Wed/Thu) and make about $375-$425. You literally set your own hours because you turn on the APP and start delivering. If you are going to start, here are some tips:

Use a bike or low fuel vehicle
If you don't know Toronto streets (have a good amount of Data for Google Maps)
Be very friendly (Good morning, afternoon, evening, enjoy your food, have a good night, etc.) (Overall feedback should be 95%+).
Use the delivery bag to keep the food warm!
Deliveries on Sat/Sun 7AM-1PM will net you the most money! (Downtown Toronto).
What is the process? They are inviting me to an open house but they're saying that I need to bring a safety inspection certification from a Ministry mechanic. Do I even have to attend the open house?
Jul 22, 2015
176 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RoyDavisG wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 3:18 am
What is the process? They are inviting me to an open house but they're saying that I need to bring a safety inspection certification from a Ministry mechanic. Do I even have to attend the open house?
I sent in my documents (I think it was just driver license, insurance and ownership). I also went through some background check (signed for it through uber app) and just waited for my account to be activated. This is for UberEats Only.