• Mar 22nd, 2017 7:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14526 posts
1408 upvotes
Oshawa

Ubiquiti experts please weigh in

Ok, I'm migrating from consumer gear to prosumer gear. So far, I've installed a Ubiquiti APACLR, and I'm shopping for a new router. The choice isn't too obvious, however. Here's what I need:

- actual Gigabit WAN speed
- 4 ports on same switch
- management of AP through a UniFi Cloud Key
- POE to power the AP and the CloudKey
- fully functional web interface (I'm not learning a CLI)
- rackmount equipment not an option

So, here's my thinking, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

- My hatred of CLI eliminates the Unifi Security Gateway
- The EdgeRouter X SFP can't actually provide full gigabit WAN speeds (or can it?)
- The ER3-Lite is the fastest, but I sacrifice PoE and I still have to use a switch
- The ERPoe-5 *may* be fast enough (If I don't bridge ETH1 with 2-4) but will it PoE the CloudKey? And can I easily access whichever device is on ETH1 without bridging?

Help. Thanks.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9004 posts
187 upvotes
Are you sure the EdgeMax will work with the cloud key? I bought an ERX the other day and assumed it would just show up in the UniFI controller software. It doesn't. I have to log into the router separately from the Unifi controller software.
it's me ramin.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14526 posts
1408 upvotes
Oshawa
golden_m wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:22 pm
what is your budget for the router?
how about this model - https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-poe/
has 5 PoE ports and no need to learn CLI ;-)
Yeah, that's the leading option, IF it will do true gigabit WAN and IF I can access the CloudKey on ETH1 without bridging.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14526 posts
1408 upvotes
Oshawa
B0000rt wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:56 pm
Are you sure the EdgeMax will work with the cloud key? I bought an ERX the other day and assumed it would just show up in the UniFI controller software. It doesn't. I have to log into the router separately from the Unifi controller software.
Actually, I discovered it won't, but I still want to power it from the router and control my AP with it. The specs say it supports passive PoE. One thing I'm finding is Ubiquiti has lousy documentation.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2308 posts
234 upvotes
Ottawa
JAC wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:00 pm
Yeah, that's the leading option, IF it will do true gigabit WAN and IF I can access the CloudKey on ETH1 without bridging.
you should be able to.
why don't you chat with their support and explain exactly what your concerns are:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us

you will find their chat in the right bottom corner
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.