• Sep 4th, 2007 8:16 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
35 upvotes

Uccb Nccb Cctb ?

Hi, my wife and I are expecting our first child next month.

I am trying to get things arranged and realized that I forgot about potential benefits that we are eligible for ?

I went through a couple of CRA websites, but I am still a little unclear as to exactly what us three will be eligible for.

Here is our basic info:

Both Students
Residents of Ontario
Net Income for 2006: $ 22000

I know of the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB), the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), the National Child Care Benefit (NCCB) and the Ontario Child Care Benefit (OCCB), but I dont know how they relate to each other, or which ones are even still available ?

What benefits if any are we eligible for and how do apply for them ?

Its a bit stressful right now trying to get everything arranged and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
4 replies
Oct 17, 2004
343 posts
14 upvotes
G-Yo wrote:
Sep 4th, 2007 1:40 am
Hi, my wife and I are expecting our first child next month.

I am trying to get things arranged and realized that I forgot about potential benefits that we are eligible for ?

I went through a couple of CRA websites, but I am still a little unclear as to exactly what us three will be eligible for.

Here is our basic info:

Both Students
Residents of Ontario
Net Income for 2007: $ 22000

I know of the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB), the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), the National Child Care Benefit (NCCB) and the Ontario Child Care Benefit (OCCB), but I dont know how they relate to each other, or which ones are even still available ?

What benefits if any are we eligible for and how do apply for them ?

Its a bit stressful right now trying to get everything arranged and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi there,

I'm from BC so I don't really know anything about the OCCB..but I do know that they look at your previous years income, not your 2007 family income. For example, my son was born in Feb 2007 and back then, they looked at mine and my husband's income of 2005..even though we weren't married back then. Then they used both our incomes from 2005 to decide what benefits we got. Then in June, we received a letter that our benefits were not to be determined by LAST YEAR's (2006) income...

so what I'm guessing is..the benefit your child acquires will be based on you and your spouse's income of 2006 since he/she is born after June. Our family income for 2005 when my son was born was under $36 000 and we still received the monthly $100 as well as an additional benefit of $221. Then once June passed, they reassessed our incomes for 2006 and our benefits got cut down from the $221 to $127...but we still got the $100.

Good luck on the baby! Don't worry too much about applying for these benefits...when your child is born, the hospital should give you a package including all the forms to apply for the benefits, the birth certificate, and the medical card (OHIP in Ontario). Once you register your child with revenue canada, they'll start sending you the benefits
[OP]
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
35 upvotes
kaimui22 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2007 1:51 am
Hi there,

I'm from BC so I don't really know anything about the OCCB..but I do know that they look at your previous years income, not your 2007 family income. For example, my son was born in Feb 2007 and back then, they looked at mine and my husband's income of 2005..even though we weren't married back then. Then they used both our incomes from 2005 to decide what benefits we got. Then in June, we received a letter that our benefits were not to be determined by LAST YEAR's (2006) income...

so what I'm guessing is..the benefit your child acquires will be based on you and your spouse's income of 2006 since he/she is born after June. Our family income for 2005 when my son was born was under $36 000 and we still received the monthly $100 as well as an additional benefit of $221. Then once June passed, they reassessed our incomes for 2006 and our benefits got cut down from the $221 to $127...but we still got the $100.

Good luck on the baby! Don't worry too much about applying for these benefits...when your child is born, the hospital should give you a package including all the forms to apply for the benefits, the birth certificate, and the medical card (OHIP in Ontario). Once you register your child with revenue canada, they'll start sending you the benefits
Doh...

Just realized I meant Net Income for 2006, not 2007. Its the stress...

Thanks for the info. It seems like if you're below $ 30000 they tend to pour on the benefits. $ 300 + a month should be more than enough to cover ALL the babies expenses, for the short term atleast.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
If you are that stressed now, what are you going to do when the baby comes??
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9489 posts
613 upvotes
Muskoka
They will give you a package at the hospital, but you can also use the calculator here to estimate monthly government goodies;

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits/menu-e.html

With such a low income, you will be getting basically everything they give. My quick and dirty calculation gave $275 for CCTB and NCBS, plus $100 for UCCB, every month.