• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2018 8:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
90 posts
14 upvotes

Ucmas vs Kumon

Which one do you guys suggest for 4-5 year old kid.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1732 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
membrs wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 3:35 pm
Which one do you guys suggest for 4-5 year old kid.
Following! Same question.....same age kid (SK, going to Grade 1). I get the impression that kumon is more of a remedial thing while UCMAS is more for math enrichment.....but looking for more feedback too.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1281 posts
486 upvotes
OTTAWA
Kumon does not need to be remedial. ( Don't know anything about Ucmas.) Kumon can bring your kid well above grade level. If this has any purpose is another question.The good thing is it is all memorization whereas the Ontario curriculum is all inquiry and thinking the problem through. I think they compliment each other well.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1784 posts
461 upvotes
Woodbridge
Not familiar with ucmas. Kumon's goal is to basically turn students into calculators. Speed and accuracy above all else. It's fine to get knowledge across but not necessarily understanding. The problems arise when students see questions that don't have an obvious solution. They still need to think. Kumon is basically a big toolkit. Kids still need to know which tool to use and when. Kumon can supplement a math program, but not replace it. Too many people think that if a kid can recite their times tables, they're good at "math." That's like saying if you can hammer a nail in a board, you're good at carpentry. It needs to go way beyond that stuff. I'm also not sure what the research says about supplemental math instruction at such a young age. My gut instinct is that a kindergarten-aged kid doesn't really need it; however, that's not really based on much, so do your own research.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)