Udemy Black Friday Sale - Courses @ 12.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
November 23, 2018
Retailer:
Udemy
Hey everyone,

Udemy is having a sale where many courses are currently marked down to 12.99.

Didn't see this up here so I figured I'd drop it in.
8 replies
Jul 5, 2018
216 posts
804 upvotes
As someone who's used Udemy I'd like to mention a few things. The courses are almost always marked down. This deal might be slightly lower but not by much for most courses. Also the courses can be hit and miss. I had a course where the creator actually engaged people regularly and was available the entire time (it makes economic sense in some countries to give this type of availability). I also had courses where they were put together really badly and I felt learning the course that way actually caused me more issues long term trying to correct misconceptions that stuck in my mind.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1176 posts
384 upvotes
i agree. If you're selective and filter by reading reviews, you can usually avoid errant purchases. Note that 10-15% cashback is typically from your favourite site as well.

I would recommend Lynda.com as a superior training site. It's expensive ($300+/yr) but available free through many library systems. Check your local library site and see if your card includes free access. For me, it's worth. by itself, the money I pay in library taxes.
Apr 6, 2018
80 posts
55 upvotes
IMO Udemy is a great resource. Just make sure to check the reviews and take a look at the course preview to see if you are ok with the instructor and style of the course before you buy.
Sep 29, 2008
792 posts
134 upvotes
Mississauga
You can find courses for around $10 all year.
Mar 7, 2011
120 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
MyUsernameDoesntMatter wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 3:07 am
As someone who's used Udemy I'd like to mention a few things. The courses are almost always marked down. This deal might be slightly lower but not by much for most courses. Also the courses can be hit and miss. I had a course where the creator actually engaged people regularly and was available the entire time (it makes economic sense in some countries to give this type of availability). I also had courses where they were put together really badly and I felt learning the course that way actually caused me more issues long term trying to correct misconceptions that stuck in my mind.
what is the name of the economy course you took? I am interested in taking some courses as well. thanks
Jul 5, 2018
216 posts
804 upvotes
popup wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 5:18 pm
what is the name of the economy course you took? I am interested in taking some courses as well. thanks
No economy course. What I meant was in some countries devoting a lot of time to courses can be beneficial. For example in the west if you make a course and sell it for $12 how do you profit if you want $25 an hour? If it took you say 100 hours to develop or longer you'd need to sell at least 350 times just to break even after udemy cut etc. To continually sustain it would take even more. In say India for example where the wage is much lower it makes much more economic sense for someone whom develops a course to be more invested in it as there is a larger upside to them as it is more competitive in relation to local wages. Someone there may be happy at say 2.50 an hour for example. For a Canadian to give even 30 minutes of support is pretty much a loss. While someone in India they feel a benefit from supporting the course on an ongoing basis. Same time though there are some really bad courses as well due to the relative low cost of them. It all depends.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1170 posts
257 upvotes
Any idea if Linux academy will have a BF promo ?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1164 posts
365 upvotes
Prof wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 12:58 pm
I would recommend Lynda.com as a superior training site. It's expensive ($300+/yr) but available free through many library systems.
I personally find Pluralsight very good compare to Lynda. No doubt Lynda is free via most public library. But if you want quality content I find Pluralsight well worth it.