• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 3:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 4, 2009
2 posts

UFile Online 2016

I have reached out to UFile support but I am having a hard time understanding their responses. Is there anyone on this forum that can explain it to me in simple terms.
I get very flustered when it comes to tax time. Thank you

Back in 2012 when I first started doing my own taxes using UFile Online, there was an area where you could enter a rental charge of a safety deposit box. At that time, I was renting a safety deposit box and someone had told me to enter the amount. I did the same for 2013. I had entered $57.49 for 2012 and 2013. Since then this area has been eliminated. Each year afterwards, I always see this amount carried forward by UFile Online. I did have capital gains dividends in 2014 and 2015 that I reported off an issued T5.

T936 - Cumulative net investment losses (CNIL's)
Total federal CNIL expenses at the end of 2015 $114.98 ($57.49 x 2)

Total federal CNIL income at the end of 2015 $$$$

TP-726.6 - Cumulative net investment losses (CNIL's)
Quebec CNIL balance at the end of 2015 $$$$

My questions are:

1) Do I just leave this alone year to year?

2) What does this CNIL do for me?

3) Where does the $$$$ amount in the Total federal CNIL income at the end of 2015 come from?

4) Where does the $$$$ amount in the TP-726.6 - Cumulative net investment losses (CNIL's)
Quebec CNIL balance at the end of 2015 come from?

5) Is this CNIL just for information purposes so I could see these figures in future years?

I had capital gains dividends in 2014 and 2015 that I reported off an issued T5. On my CRA NOA from 2015 it does indicate I have unused net capital losses from other years. No clue from where because I was not responsible for past finances. I am trying to learn over the years so I will not be in these kinds of situations again.

1) I am asking why did this section appear on the left side of my screen with this information already filled in and should I just leave it there?

2) Is this area just for information purposes so I could see these figures in future years?

3) How should I handle the unused net capital losses?

The name of the section that appeared is called Capital gains and ABIL.

And under that I see 2 other sub sections:

Capital gains inclusion rate for tax year 2000
Inclusion rate for the year 2000 50% <--never entered this percentage

Other capital gain history
Other capital gains (losses) 2015 $$$$ <-- there is an amount filled in here which I did not enter
Ineligible taxable capital gains included in CNIL $$$$ <-- there is an amount filled in here which I did not enter

The amount that UFile entered in the other capital gains history is related to my capital gains dividends I entered from my 2015 T5.
2 replies
Jan 19, 2007
470 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Is anybody able to submit tax data - I see that CRA has a major outage:
Notice – Service temporarily unavailable
Ensuring that your personal information is not compromised is a priority for us.
Upon becoming aware of an internet vulnerability that affects some computer servers used by websites worldwide, we took down our online services, including electronic filing, and are taking steps to ensure that all information and systems remain safe.
At this time, we are not aware that any personal information has been affected; however, we continue to assess and remedy the situation.
You can still complete your tax forms, but will have to wait before filing.
We are working to bring our online services back up as soon as possible. Updates will be ‎posted as they become available.
Thank you for your patience.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel