Shopping Discussion

The Ulitimate Best Buy Extended Warranty Nightmare (videos and pics attached )

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2015 2:18 am
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
336 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

The Ulitimate Best Buy Extended Warranty Nightmare (videos and pics attached )

Chronological Sequence of Events. 61" samsung DLP.

November, 2005 , bought HLR6168 61" DLP and 5 yr PSP from Whitby, ON Best Buy store.

November, 2006 : Bulb Exploded with 1400 hrs usage , Samsung sends
Service rep and replaces lamp. Task is completed within 10 minutes. Excellent service under Samsung factory warranty.

December 6th, 2006 : Light Engine Failure, Samsung Factory Warranty Expired, PSP kicks in.

see Left Shadow jpeg:

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122 ... shadow.jpg[/IMG]

December 7th: Best Buy Extended Warranty dispatches discount repair service. XXXXX Ltd sends Dodge Caravan to transport DLP unit to service facility. XXXXX places DLP face-down. Both XXXXX and BB Customer Service insist that TV must be taken in for diagnostics despite my protest that this type of service can be performed in home

December 8th
: Contact Mr. Troy at Samsung Tech support and he confirms that service does not require diagnostics and can be performed in house. States that service people are totally incompetent for transporting DLP face down in minivan. It can result in damage to screen and projection optics. Told me to contact BB Corporate Office to ensure that such methods are not repeated.

Spoke to Mr. Steve, BB Customer Service supervisor and informed him of the mis-handling of my DLP. Tried to educate him on the detrimental effects of face down transport . Admits he lacks technical background on HDTV
458 replies
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
336 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Here's the letter. Needed to seperate it because total characters would have exceeded 10,000.

Subject:Insignificant Canadian BestBuy Customer Pleading For Intervention

Dear Mr. Anderson and Honorable Associates:

As a loyal customer of Best Buy since your expansion into Canada, I am writing this letter to you with two primary goals in mind. First and foremost, it is to convey to you the immense magnitude of frustration I am feeling and secondly, my greatest hope that you can help me resolve my problem so I can continue to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere and the great products that your retail stores offer. Please keep in mind that all my efforts to resolve this through Canadian contacts have been exhausted.

In November of 2005, I purchased a 61 inch Samsung DLP HDTV along with a 5 year Performance Service Plan (PSP) from the store located in Whitby, ON, Canada. During the final month of the factory warranty, the lamp module on this unit exploded and Samsung dispatched a local technician within 48 hours of my call. It took the serviceman less than 10 minutes to replace the bulb and I was very impressed with the turn around time.

However, four weeks later, after the factory warranty expired, the light engine began to fail and the PSP came into effect. This marks the point where my customer experience declines exponentially which would lead to 3 service calls in a six week period.

This all begins when Best Buy PSP hired a highly questionable service company named XXXXX Ltd that came to transport my 61 inch HDTV to their service facility using a DODGE CARAVAN. My initial reaction was one of suspicion for obvious reasons and I requested to see their credentials. As it turns out, these were the people that Best Buy entrusted my television to. I was informed by the 2 men in this vehicle that my TV had to be transported to their service facility mainly because diagnostics had to be performed. I immediately protested this course of action because XXXXX and Best Buy never asked me any specific details of the malfunction so why were they so certain that diagnostics were required. Secondly, I knew for a fact that light engine/colour wheel failure can easily be repaired in home. But as I expected, my request for a technician to perform an in-home repair fell upon deaf ears. So the 2 men proceed to wrap my 61 inch widescreen with a filthy looking cloth and duct tape. Yes, DUCT TAPE. When this improvised covering was complete, it was then transferred into this passenger mini-van in the only position that would fit,
Jan 3, 2005
689 posts
105 upvotes
Damn.........that really sucks.

I've never trusted any of those PSP's. Although I agree it's peace of mind, when the time comes to use it you're at the mercy of whoever BB (in this case) sends out.

I really hope they give you a new TV, even if yours is salvageable.

Good luck!.....and be sure to post the outcome.

Edit: Might I add that was a very well-written letter.
Aug 5, 2004
179 posts
goodluck man. you state at the end of your letter you'll cover extra fuel costs, but isn't that included in the PSP? or does the PSP imply you have to take the product back to the store?
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
336 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Rokkin wrote:
Jan 15th, 2007 4:28 pm

I've never trusted any of those PSP's. Although I agree it's peace of mind, when the time comes to use it you're at the mercy of whoever BB (in this case) sends out.

Thanks, the light engine replacement alone is approx $1000. The 5yr PSP cost $600. But you're right, never knew that the PSP would hire the cheapest and most clueless service company.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1470 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
damn.. sorry to hear man.. maybe u should point them out to this thread.. maybe then they might get scared and actually do something to help u for a change..

hopefully it'll all work out in the end.. let us know how things are progressing..
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
May 9, 2002
263 posts
30 upvotes
I worked at the head office when BB came and bought FS. Not that it means anything really, but you are making progress by going now to HQ. The stores don't give a crap about you.

Being on the east coast you have 3 hours on us. At least when she doesn't call back, you can go home and call us here on the west coast and it will be 3 hours behind.

Good luck, and don't give up! They will eventually break. Get the press involved, that always helps :)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41872 posts
2705 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Rokkin wrote:
Jan 15th, 2007 4:28 pm

But consider this, if he didn't buy the PSP, he wouldn't even have anything to complain about. At least now, he knows that Best Buy is obligated to service his TV.

But I don't understand. Best Buy KNOWS that they have to get your TV to functioning order. The company couldn't fix your TV, so you should get a new unit, no?
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7487 posts
40 upvotes
Pickering
Sorry to hear about this. I work at the Best Buy in Richmond Hill, and it bothers me that you are getting treated like this, because then people have a very negative opinion of service plans.

For the most part, they are well worth it on a lot of items. A friend of mine had it on his old ipod photo, had to be repaired several times, the no lemon kicked in, and they gave him a 30gb video, which he then spent a bit more, and upgraded to an 80gb video. Quick and painless.

If they don't give you a new TV, take legal action. All of your documentation will help.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
336 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Icerian wrote:
Jan 15th, 2007 4:40 pm
goodluck man. you state at the end of your letter you'll cover extra fuel costs, but isn't that included in the PSP? or does the PSP imply you have to take the product back to the store?
They keep insisting that XXXXXXX Ltd is the only repair company in my area. Which is BS. I live in the Oshawa area.
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 15th, 2007 5:34 pm
But consider this, if he didn't buy the PSP, he wouldn't even have anything to complain about. At least now, he knows that Best Buy is obligated to service his TV.

But I don't understand. Best Buy KNOWS that they have to get your TV to functioning order. The company couldn't fix your TV, so you should get a new unit, no?
They keep forcing XXXXXX Ltd down my throat. If I want a functioning TV, it must be XXXXXX. I don't want does tards touching my TV and taking it away in that freaking mini-van for another 2 weeks. Who knows what else they'll screw up.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
336 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
MrWizard wrote:
Jan 15th, 2007 5:45 pm
Sorry to hear about this. I work at the Best Buy in Richmond Hill, and it bothers me that you are getting treated like this, because then people have a very negative opinion of service plans.

For the most part, they are well worth it on a lot of items. A friend of mine had it on his old ipod photo, had to be repaired several times, the no lemon kicked in, and they gave him a 30gb video, which he then spent a bit more, and upgraded to an 80gb video. Quick and painless.
That's exactly why I got it. But from what I've experienced so far, the discretion for granting lemon policy replacement changes drastically when the value of the item exceeds $5000.

One thing I should point out. My beef with BB is directed at management. Almost every worker I've dealt with are great. Some of them in the Whitby store even warned me about the 2 managers in question and they all agree I'm getting reamed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7487 posts
40 upvotes
Pickering
esoxlee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2007 6:09 pm
That's exactly why I got it. But from what I've experienced so far, the discretion for granting lemon policy replacement changes drastically when the value of the item exceeds $5000.

One thing I should point out. My beef with BB is directed at management. Almost every worker I've dealt with are great. Some of them in the Whitby store even warned me about the 2 managers in question and they all agree I'm getting reamed.
Yeah, they usually want to avoid giving you a new unit (for obvious business reasons), but it usually results in extremely low customer satisfaction. The service plan is profit to the company until the customer uses it, at which point they make pretty much no money.

Yeah, management is jerking you around, it's not acceptable. Good luck.
Jan 4, 2004
257 posts
1 upvote
Well, IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) your claims are handled by the insurance company that BB/FS runs the PSP program with. Once the warranty is sold, invoking the warranty is to indirectly get a payout from that insurance company.

If I understand the system properly, BB does get a cut when the warranty is sold to the customer but then all payouts/exchanges/repairs are paid by the parent insurance company.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4843 posts
276 upvotes
Don't give up dude, make them cave. This is why I would never buy a PSP and instead just put the purchase on a credit card that has extended warranty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)