• May 6th, 2014 10:35 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
tonysoprano wrote: Which ultrabook or lenevo laptop compares to a macbook pro retina? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread...
The MacBook Pro isn't comparable to Ultrabooks for the most part as they use more powerful CPU/GPUs, rather than the ultra-low voltage ones used by Ultrabooks and the Air.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
1517 posts
1957 upvotes
tonysoprano wrote: Which ultrabook or lenevo laptop compares to a macbook pro retina? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread...

What version of the MacBook Pro Retina?
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey
rainor94 wrote: What version of the MacBook Pro Retina?
The newest version which was released, I believe it's haswell.
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
MacBooks have the best trackpad, keyboard IMO. I'm selling my mac air and going to an ultra book. I want a 14" high res display and slightly more power than an air can provide me without busting the bank! Personally I don't really like OSX, can't seem to get use to it after having windows for so long.

Acer isn't bad, not as bad as they use to be. If I were you I'd look into a lenovo offering.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
I have a toshiba z930 ultrabook from 2 years and i love it. Thin, light, powerful and long battery life
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Solsearchin1 wrote: MacBooks have the best trackpad, keyboard IMO. I'm selling my mac air and going to an ultra book. I want a 14" high res display and slightly more power than an air can provide me without busting the bank! Personally I don't really like OSX, can't seem to get use to it after having windows for so long.

Acer isn't bad, not as bad as they use to be. If I were you I'd look into a lenovo offering.
MBA's have pretty much the same processing power as most Ultrabooks...

Also, personally I find the ThinkPad keyboards to be the best, although MacBooks are pretty decent in comparison to most.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Scycotic wrote: MBA's have pretty much the same processing power as most Ultrabooks...

Also, personally I find the ThinkPad keyboards to be the best, although MacBooks are pretty decent in comparison to most.
The pre-island Sony keyboards were pretty good, too.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
216 upvotes
gilboman wrote: widi, touchscreen. can't go back to any laptop without those.
Which one do you currently own?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
1517 posts
1957 upvotes
tonysoprano wrote: The newest version which was released, I believe it's haswell.
Thanks
MacBooks are customizable. Saying it's comes with a Haswell is like saying it's the 2014 version. CPU, screen size, ram, graphic card/no graphic card, etc.

You sound like the type of user who really has no idea what they are buying. Are you really looking to drop over $1500 on a new laptop? What exactly are your needs and why are you even looking at a MacBook?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2148 posts
2171 upvotes
Toronto
I am interested to know what others recommend... I bought a Macbook Pro and didn't like the OS so I sold it after using it 3-4 times. Lost $400 but what can you do.

Now looking for a similar Ultrabook in the $1000-$1500 price range as well
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
1517 posts
1957 upvotes
desm0nd wrote: I am interested to know what others recommend... I bought a Macbook Pro and didn't like the OS so I sold it after using it 3-4 times. Lost $400 but what can you do.

Now looking for a similar Ultrabook in the $1000-$1500 price range as well
MacBook Pro is not an UltraBook. A really nice ultrabook is the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro or a Lenovo X1 Carbon.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
leaves wrote: Which one do you currently own?
a lenovo touch (forgot model number)..but touch screen with windows 8 is great and I do use widi all the time for streaming since I have widi/miracast dongle to my tv. IMO, windows 8 really needs a touch screen and having it is so much better than the old school non touch screens
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey
rainor94 wrote: MacBooks are customizable. Saying it's comes with a Haswell is like saying it's the 2014 version. CPU, screen size, ram, graphic card/no graphic card, etc.

You sound like the type of user who really has no idea what they are buying. Are you really looking to drop over $1500 on a new laptop? What exactly are your needs and why are you even looking at a MacBook?
I never wanted type it all out. My wife has a 2013 macbook 13 inch Retina haswell, 512ssd, 8gig ram. I am either going to take hers and get her something else, or get a Windows based laptop that is made as well as a macbook . and yes I don't care about the money, I'll just be surfing the Internet ms Word and possibly some photo editing
Aug 25, 2011
41 posts
4 upvotes
I currently have an 11" MBA, previously having a 13" MBP. If you're doing lots of excel I would say get the 13" MBA but have a bootcamp partition with Windows on it as the OSX version of Excel is not nearly as powerful. I would still suggest getting an apple notebook because the build quality is fantastic and if you buy 3 years of apple care, you hvae one of the best warranties on the market.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
joenguyen1990 wrote: I currently have an 11" MBA, previously having a 13" MBP. If you're doing lots of excel I would say get the 13" MBA but have a bootcamp partition with Windows on it as the OSX version of Excel is not nearly as powerful. I would still suggest getting an apple notebook because the build quality is fantastic and if you buy 3 years of apple care, you hvae one of the best warranties on the market.
build quality and materials on the mac's aren't anything special and pretty meh if you compare it to similarly priced pc's. it only seems fantastic if you compare it to the $299 HP specials.

compared to a Samsung 9 series, fujitsu's etc.... it's not that good.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2148 posts
2171 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry - I meant similar to what the OP wants

What would you suggest for a touch laptop? (not ultrabook) ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)