• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2017 2:59 pm
[OP]
Feb 1, 2016
68 posts
24 upvotes
Windsor, ON

Ultrasound or Nursing BScN?

I'm debating which program will be better for me in the long run. I feel i've always been driven towards healthcare and both careers.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
726 upvotes
Both have very different roles. What do you enjoy doing?

Of course, some of the roles may eventually blend. Look at Ultrasound, yes, right now it is very specialized, but companies like GE, Philips and Butterfly (amongst others) are coming out with POC ultrasound (or much better than what they had) that are based on tablets or phones. Yes, they are somewhat limited, but it is very possible that preliminary scans will be done not by sonographers...but by doctors, nurses, EMR etc. Of course Nursing is in for changes too: different roles, the effects of Technology (HEWS/EWS) may do for the wards what autovalidation did for the labs years ago.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2016
68 posts
24 upvotes
Windsor, ON
nalababe wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 3:26 pm
Both have very different roles. What do you enjoy doing?

Of course, some of the roles may eventually blend. Look at Ultrasound, yes, right now it is very specialized, but companies like GE, Philips and Butterfly (amongst others) are coming out with POC ultrasound (or much better than what they had) that are based on tablets or phones. Yes, they are somewhat limited, but it is very possible that preliminary scans will be done not by sonographers...but by doctors, nurses, EMR etc. Of course Nursing is in for changes too: different roles, the effects of Technology (HEWS/EWS) may do for the wards what autovalidation did for the labs years ago.
I do enjoy the aspect of patient care and have always wanted to go into RN for over 10 years always debated but I had people always tell me not to go into nursing. I went for ultrasound and really liked it but I don't know if I can imagine myself scanning patients for the next 30 years and I got shoulder pain from it just as a student :( the shoulder pain has gone since I am no longer scanning but I know alot of sonographers had issues with joint l, neck or shoulder pain. It does seem like a very interesting career tho for sure.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
726 upvotes
Ivgotsunshine51 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 3:45 pm
I do enjoy the aspect of patient care and have always wanted to go into RN for over 10 years always debated but I had people always tell me not to go into nursing. I went for ultrasound and really liked it but I don't know if I can imagine myself scanning patients for the next 30 years and I got shoulder pain from it just as a student :( the shoulder pain has gone since I am no longer scanning but I know alot of sonographers had issues with joint l, neck or shoulder pain. It does seem like a very interesting career tho for sure.
And what reason are they saying not to go into nursing. Like any other profession it is what you make of it. When I attend conferences like CACCN, the nurses we meet love their jobs...at least dealing with patients. It can also be a stepping stone into other areas. I have met a number of former nurses in the corporate world: Sales, Marketing, Clinical Support, Modality Management...and of course, if the competencies are there: Leadership positions.

Does the same exist with Sonography...to an extent. The difference is that there are far more options to branch out in Nursing.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2016
68 posts
24 upvotes
Windsor, ON
nalababe wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 8:42 am
And what reason are they saying not to go into nursing. Like any other profession it is what you make of it. When I attend conferences like CACCN, the nurses we meet love their jobs...at least dealing with patients. It can also be a stepping stone into other areas. I have met a number of former nurses in the corporate world: Sales, Marketing, Clinical Support, Modality Management...and of course, if the competencies are there: Leadership positions.

Does the same exist with Sonography...to an extent. The difference is that there are far more options to branch out in Nursing.
This is very true thank you for the response! as much as I love sonography I do get bored easily so I feel nursing may be more suited to me.

By the way you attend CACCN are you an RN?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
726 upvotes
Ivgotsunshine51 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 12:23 pm
This is very true thank you for the response! as much as I love sonography I do get bored easily so I feel nursing may be more suited to me.

By the way you attend CACCN are you an RN?
Not a nurse...I work for one of the vendors on the tradeshow floor....