• Dec 10th, 2017 6:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
470 posts
55 upvotes

UltraViewer instead of team Viewer

Hi
I was planning to use team Viewer for a small business for remote login and wanted to use it legitimately but when I check the pricing it was outrageous for Team Viewer. I know I can still sue it if I select Personal or home use but I don't want to use it that way. Then I found this Ultra Viewer and it is a freeware. Just wanted to get an input from you guys out there if some used it or any experience with this or a similar product that can be used free.....
Thanks in advance.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25876 posts
2881 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don't trust TeamViewer and after looking at UltraViewer I am even more concerned.

Any reason why you don't use a VPN and Remote Desktop? This way you don't need to give a third party access to your computers.
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
Teamviewer is very capable, but I agree that it's outrageously overpriced (we have a 2-simultaneous-session commercial portable licence, and I think it cost something like $1500 to upgrade from our old $800 single-session one-computer licence). Not only that, they start badgering you AND your customers to upgrade to the next version in less than a year at additional outrageous cost. I recommend them for free personal use, but not for commercial use.

There are many other options. The free ones don't perform as well, have trouble with more complex network architectures, and are missing some functionality. Most of the other paid ones have opted for some sort of subscription model (e.g., Splashtop), so the price trade-offs are a little different than with Teamviewer. I've seen free-trial giveaways for periods like 6 months for some packages on sites like sharewareonsale.com, but I don't really want to invest a lot of effort in testing something for that short a time.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
470 posts
55 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:20 am
I don't trust TeamViewer and after looking at UltraViewer I am even more concerned.

Any reason why you don't use a VPN and Remote Desktop? This way you don't need to give a third party access to your computers.
Thanks, Gee. I never thought about it. But I never used VPN before. I use VPN on my work laptop and only thing I do is connect and rest, I have no idea. I am running Merlin on Asus Router and never set up/used VPN before so please let me know can I do this. A link or small hint will be sufficient meaning would I use VPN Client or VPN server on my Router etc. Please and thanks :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25876 posts
2881 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
w11x22 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 5:03 pm
Thanks, Gee. I never thought about it. But I never used VPN before. I use VPN on my work laptop and only thing I do is connect and rest, I have no idea. I am running Merlin on Asus Router and never set up/used VPN before so please let me know can I do this. A link or small hint will be sufficient meaning would I use VPN Client or VPN server on my Router etc. Please and thanks :)
Merlin supports OpenVPN, here is a quick tutorial to set it up

https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/asustwrt-merlin/openvpn/

But there is a caveat, you need to know the user name and password for each computer you want to access. If your small business has 10 computers, you either need an account on each PC or know the login and password of each user. You can not use a blank password with Remote Desktop. If you want to screen share, you would use Remote Assistant.

One other note, Remote Desktop is only available on Windows Pro, not the Home version
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25876 posts
2881 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TitusBobby wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 4:40 am
Vnc?
It is not about the application. It is getting access past firewalls and routers.

TeamViewer requires no working knowledge of networks.