Home & Garden

Unbreakable Window Glass??

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2006 1:58 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Mar 31, 2003
204 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Unbreakable Window Glass??

My new home is closing in about a month, and as I am researching for home security systems, I kinda remember that I saw a segment on CP24 a few months ago about a product that can make the glass on windows unbreakable. when you strike the glass with a hammer or a baseball bat, the glass will crack but it won't be shattered and falls out of the frame. I remember the product is some sort of transparent film. Does anyone know/remember what this product is? Thanks in advance.
44 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 3, 2003
14315 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Where are you moving to?
Regent Park?

Sheesh, thats american style fear gripping you, bud.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
3M security glass or 3M Scotchshield. Probably will cost you a fortune to install.
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2003
204 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks guys. I'll look into them. I'm moving Richmond Hill, around Yonge & Elgin Mills. There are just a lots of glass windows all around my house. Some of my buddies who live around the area claim that either their house or their next door neighbors' houses have all been broken into. After seeing the segment on CP24, I thought this is one of the better affordable solution to prevent break-ins from windows.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
I think most break ins are done by forcing windows and doors, not smashing glass. The latter is loud, burglars don't like loud, they want to get in and out undetected.

So I'd say you're likely wasting your money with such a product. If you're really worried, get some window/door sensors that set an alarm off if they are opened or broken.
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2003
204 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bullseye wrote:I think most break ins are done by forcing windows and doors, not smashing glass. The latter is loud, burglars don't like loud, they want to get in and out undetected.

So I'd say you're likely wasting your money with such a product. If you're really worried, get some window/door sensors that set an alarm off if they are opened or broken.
Oh yeah, I definitly get the whole 9 yards of security setup, including sensors, motion detectors and wireless cameras. I guess I should have thought about it before I bought the house, now that's it's finally built, looking at that many windows makes me feel really insecure :)

Maybe I should just get a mean dog, who's probably the best home security system
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
18134 posts
1043 upvotes
wow, I live in Richmond Hill, didn't know the area further north from me was so bad in terms of burglars.

Have you thought of double-pane glass ? My uncle's house in Scarborough was broken into and he decided to retro-fit all his windows with double-pane glass. I think that is what it is called, very difficult to break, pry open. He also got a dead-lock bolt for his main door, locks from the inside.

I will try and find out more info from him if you want.
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2003
204 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ji2o0k wrote:wow, I live in Richmond Hill, didn't know the area further north from me was so bad in terms of burglars.

Have you thought of double-pane glass ? My uncle's house in Scarborough was broken into and he decided to retro-fit all his windows with double-pane glass. I think that is what it is called, very difficult to break, pry open. He also got a dead-lock bolt for his main door, locks from the inside.

I will try and find out more info from him if you want.
Actually the troubled area I was referring to was not in mine, most of my buddies who live in Richmond Hill are all in the grid north of Major Mac to Elgin Mills, West of Woodbine to Bayview. Before I heard stories from them, I always thought the area as one of the safest to live. Then again, bullets flew about a month ago in Bayview Hills, along Boak Trails where most of the houses are over million dollars...I really don't know the area I'm gonna move in very well, so I thought it's better be safe then sorry, always assume the worst.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 3, 2003
14315 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
assume the worst....what a way to go about your life.

If lots of houses are being broken into in an area, why not buy somewhere else, rather than building a fortress?
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2003
2878 posts
10 upvotes
That's what tempered glass does.........
Stalker wrote:My new home is closing in about a month, and as I am researching for home security systems, I kinda remember that I saw a segment on CP24 a few months ago about a product that can make the glass on windows unbreakable. when you strike the glass with a hammer or a baseball bat, the glass will crack but it won't be shattered and falls out of the frame. I remember the product is some sort of transparent film. Does anyone know/remember what this product is? Thanks in advance.
Member
Feb 14, 2005
367 posts
8 upvotes
I don't understand why some are actually deterring the OP from installing it. My family had this stuff installed as well, and it is just for a sense of security, even though it may or may not work very well.

If, god forbid, that the OP does get a window smashed and followed your advice, will you pay for all the damages?

To the OP, it was the 3M stuff pandaharo mentioned. We had it installed by the same people who installed the alarm system, IIRC. I'm sure you can find it somewhere and do it yourself.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 24, 2004
8635 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
Richmond Hill is WAY safer than many places in GTA-ish.

As posters have stated, making glass unbreakable is costly and not really worth it. I'd invest in LIGHTS. If you have motion activated 1000W BRIGHT MOTHERS lighting your front, side, back of your house... I wouldn't worry too much about thieves :)
Jr. Member
Feb 10, 2005
161 posts
Nothing works better than a big dog and one of those "Warning...Guard Dog On Duty" signs with the really, really vicious looking dog pic on them.

Your dog doesn't even have to be vicious. Just BIG. :lol:
Stalker wrote:Oh yeah, I definitly get the whole 9 yards of security setup, including sensors, motion detectors and wireless cameras. I guess I should have thought about it before I bought the house, now that's it's finally built, looking at that many windows makes me feel really insecure :)

Maybe I should just get a mean dog, who's probably the best home security system
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
If you have motion activated 1000W BRIGHT MOTHERS lighting your front, side, back of your house... I wouldn't worry too much about thieves

except for the more than FIFTY percent (!) or so that break in during the day.
hehe
× < >

Top