• Mar 8th, 2011 4:21 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga

Under cabinet light LED warm white with direct wire

Hi there, I am looking for under cabinet that is (1) LED, (2) gives warm white (yellowish tint like traditional incadescent bulb) or multi-color and more importantly (3) it can be "direct wired" (so don't need to use plug). For some reason, cannot find any under cabinet light with all three requirements. Most LED lights seem to be cool white.

I've checked the usual spots, Home Depot, Rona and Ikea for their LED lineup and either they are not warm white color (or not clear from website), or do not have direct wire option. it has to be LED, not Xenon / halogen. Not as concerned about the brightness as much as will be using as accent lighting more than task lighting. Price is not a concern either.

Any thoughts or places that are worth checking out?

Thanks
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
Try Kichler: Design Pro LED. These have a colour temperature of 3000K (per the brochure) and seem to meet all your criteria (LED, direct wire, warmish colour). Check out pages 18-19 of the Cabinet Systems brochure you can download from here.

We're happy with our Kichler direct wire 12v xenon strips (colour temperature of 2700K - per page 26 of the brochure). The downside of xenons is the heat they throw but it's doesn't seem to be a great problem with this model.
Apr 27, 2009
178 posts
18 upvotes
Maritimes
You could just cut off the plug and hard wire the light that way.

Or, you could connect a wall switch to the outlet the lights are plugged into.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
I considered doing that using a junction box, but was told in some forum, that it is not advisable as wire gauge may be different. Also, then I would need to hid the stupid junction box. Would rather get one pre-built with low profile. There is already a direct wire with switch that was created by my old contractor, so might as well use it.

noahboady wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2010 4:14 pm
You could just cut off the plug and hard wire the light that way.

Or, you could connect a wall switch to the outlet the lights are plugged into.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2010 3:22 pm
Try Kichler: Design Pro LED. These have a colour temperature of 3000K (per the brochure) and seem to meet all your criteria (LED, direct wire, warmish colour). Check out pages 18-19 of the Cabinet Systems brochure you can download from here.

We're happy with our Kichler direct wire 12v xenon strips (colour temperature of 2700K - per page 26 of the brochure). The downside of xenons is the heat they throw but it's doesn't seem to be a great problem with this model.

Thanks a lot. Found another brand maxim lighting led mx-l series with direct wire option and warm white. Available from Canada lighting experts (maybe USA site pretending to be canadian but doesn't matter as long as they ship here). They also seem to carry kichler brand which is what I was trying to find originally.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2005
6915 posts
358 upvotes
http://www.barlighting.com

very low profile undercabinet LED's compared to the puck size Home Depot ones...I install these under my cabinets...great look.......
[OP]
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks Gizmo. I did check this site out as well and I liked many of their products for different accent light around the house - but it doesn't say anywhere that they have a direct wire option (do they?). Did they ship to Canada?

Prefer LED as it is not hot. One of places that I want to direct wire is in enclosed niche made of MDF, so very tight space.

For the kitchen, I can certainly go with xenon, but i like the fact, that i can leave the LED on for a long time (all night) - i don't think i would do that for xenon which does run hot. Again using it as accent light, not really task lighting for kitchen.
gizmo8 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2010 12:31 pm
http://www.barlighting.com

very low profile undercabinet LED's compared to the puck size Home Depot ones...I install these under my cabinets...great look.......
Oct 24, 2006
112 posts
13 upvotes
We recently installed hardwired LED puck lights under the kitchen cupboards.

They are warm white light and come in matte nickel,white,chrome and black finish. They were purchased at a electric whole sale store. Looked at Home Depot and Rona without success. They were a new product just arrived in the store.You can plug them in or purchase an optional hardwire box.

The company is Liteline Corporation in Brampton On. Technical support 1-866-730-7704. You can look up the product on their website: liteline.com using these numbers;three puck lights in package #UCP-LED3-MN and hardware box #LED-HWB12-WH. The price was ~$55.00 for 3 pucks and ~$35.00 for the hardwire box. Max of 10 pucks on one hardwired box.

VERY pleased with the soft light and no heat. Hope this is of some use to you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
Just so I understand the whole led/adaptor technology, is the transformer plugged into a switched receptacle? In other words does a switch turn on power to a receptacle that the adaptor is plugged into to turn the led lights on/off?
[OP]
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
For LED cabinet lighting, the transformer is typically a separate low-profile box (if using pucks) which can be hidden, or sometimes it is integrated into the light housing. There is typically a ON/OFF switch (also need to be hidden) and then it is either hard wired via low profile junction box (what I am looking for), or can connected to a receptable. You can certainly connect it to a switched receptable, so you don't need to find the ON/OFF switch provided with most cabinet LED lights.
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 8:08 am
Just so I understand the whole led/adaptor technology, is the transformer plugged into a switched receptacle? In other words does a switch turn on power to a receptacle that the adaptor is plugged into to turn the led lights on/off?
[OP]
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks Porcina. This may be it. Which electric wholesale store did you get it? I would much rather pick them up rather than order other brands online and wait as long as 4 weeks.
Porcina wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 12:36 am

They are warm white light and come in matte nickel,white,chrome and black finish. They were purchased at a electric whole sale store. Looked at Home Depot and Rona without success. They were a new product just arrived in the store.You can plug them in or purchase an optional hardwire box.

The company is Liteline Corporation in Brampton On. Technical support 1-866-730-7704. You can look up the product on their website: liteline.com using these numbers;three puck lights in package #UCP-LED3-MN and hardware box #LED-HWB12-WH. The price was ~$55.00 for 3 pucks and ~$35.00 for the hardwire box. Max of 10 pucks on one hardwired box.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
ozymandias wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 11:37 am
There is typically a ON/OFF switch (also need to be hidden) and then it is either hard wired via low profile junction box (what I am looking for), or can connected to a receptable. You can certainly connect it to a switched receptable, so you don't need to find the ON/OFF switch provided with most cabinet LED lights.
So the switch is sometmes inline between the adaptor/transformer and final connection? Also how would you hard wire an adaptor since it's designed to plug into a receptacle?

Thanks for the reply ozymandias.
Sep 17, 2008
444 posts
29 upvotes
Porcina wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 12:36 am

Look like they have a website too:
http://www.liteline.com/product.php?pro ... CP-LED3-MN

Or this one, it is direct wire, no transformer needed: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alcon-120V-1-LIGHT- ... 72166ee0fa
[OP]
Apr 14, 2008
411 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks. I did email Liteline (they responded which is cool, so will be getting one this weekend). The ebay one is the same maxim one that i had posted before which would also work except then i would need to order the direct wire junction box separately (i know that it is available).

Going with Liteline as most convenient as can pick it up locally.
s0n1c wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 12:51 pm
Look like they have a website too:
http://www.liteline.com/product.php?pro ... CP-LED3-MN

Or this one, it is direct wire, no transformer needed: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alcon-120V-1-LIGHT- ... 72166ee0fa
× < >