• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 3:46 am
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes

Underage driver accident - Help!!

Hi All!!
So just hopefully looking for some advice! Had an accident at my home where my 12 yr old neighbour from across the street and his friend took the mother's car, lost control and crashed into my house!! Significant foundation damage. Apparently their insurance is not covering it because he was 12 and thus not supposed to be driving. My insurance premiums will go up big time if I claim this on my home insurance because I had another claim last year. Damage is over $28,000 and the family is saying they can't afford to pay. How should I proceed?? I feel like somehow their insurance should be paying for this. I'm in the process of getting a lawyer but would love to hear some suggestions just to know what to expect or if anyone knows any other tips!
Thanks!!
Thread Summary
hot deal
101 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7400 posts
1255 upvotes
????
Sue them
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
Apr 8, 2007
709 posts
133 upvotes
Milton
Wrong forum. This is hot deals.

But to answer your question, you’re talking $28,000, that’s a lot of money. Whatever amount your premiums go up by I’m sure it will be less than 28g’s. Your best bet is to go through the insurance and let them deal with it. They’ll likely sue the family to recoup the money.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1457 posts
1541 upvotes
Very difficult situation, as you would think that if you didn't do wrong you shouldn't be accountable for other people's mistakes. I really hope you get an answer.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Mar 13, 2012
412 posts
235 upvotes
Surrey
sigh. Lawyer is the only way. Any cops involved ?
Last edited by jaksdj22 on Oct 10th, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
Hi All!!
So just hopefully looking for some advice! Had an accident at my home where my 12 yr old neighbour from across the street and his friend took the mother's car, lost control and crashed into my house!! Significant foundation damage. Apparently their insurance is not covering it because he was 12 and thus not supposed to be driving. My insurance premiums will go up big time if I claim this on my home insurance because I had another claim last year. Damage is over $28,000 and the family is saying they can't afford to pay. How should I proceed?? I feel like somehow their insurance should be paying for this. I'm in the process of getting a lawyer but would love to hear some suggestions just to know what to expect or if anyone knows any other tips!
Thanks!!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
3155 posts
353 upvotes
Hamilton
gem222 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 10:08 pm
Hi All!!
Thanks!!
Obv wrong forum. But interesting post nonetheless.
I believe your insurance covers it and they (your insurance) goes after the people that damaged your home hence your premiums don't raise.
So go for max repair claim no matter what b/c it'll affect you the same way.
Now I'm not sure if you go through your auto or home insurance. Call your auto first and explain. They'll advise.
As long as there's a police report. Witnesses. Etc. You don't have to worry.
Last edited by sidshock on Oct 10th, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
4585 posts
3536 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
So get your kid to drive your car through their house, and then you’ll be even.
Problem solved.
Good deal huh?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1327 posts
520 upvotes
Markham
I found these which is what I think the OP needs.

https://www.barriersdirect.co.uk/bollar ... ranty-p941

Kinda expensive at about $140 each, but it’s sure cheaper than $28,000 in damages.

In all seriousness, just contact your lawyer as well as insurance. I’d probably call your home insurance first.
Last edited by HDawg on Oct 10th, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koodo $40/8GB
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
lol sorry!! I didn't realize i was in hot deals! re posted in regular automotive forum! thanks for pointing it out :)
Jul 4, 2017
50 posts
72 upvotes
The parents of the child are idiots.

They could have just said that they were the ones driving and then their insurance would have covered it...

Regardless, I would go through my home insurance and let them deal with the entire thing. Change insurance company next year.
Aug 7, 2006
64 posts
11 upvotes
They are responsible 100% whether or not they can afford
Dec 15, 2017
29 posts
10 upvotes
Hi sorry to hear about this. I agree that this is a claim for your insurer. You cant expect to wait for the drivers insurer to get all the facts straight and cover your losses right away. I would put the claim through your own insurer. Your insurer covers replacement cost (which means the value of what it will cost to replace a 20 year old window vs an auto policy which will only cover actual cash value (what a 20 year ols window is worth). Once your house is repaired your insurer will likely subrogate against the at fault drivers insurer. You might be out a deductible but ypu might be able to recoup that directly from the neighbour or the insurer once they recover some costs.

Edit:
I would also like to add this is a claim for your home insurance. Not your auto insurance
Last edited by Jayhaz on Oct 10th, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
IsraSoldier wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 10:16 pm
The parents of the child are idiots.

They could have just said that they were the ones driving and then their insurance would have covered it...

Regardless, I would go through my home insurance and let them deal with the entire thing. Change insurance company next year.
i don't think they could really cuz the kids were trapped in there (not hurt) parents were not home and police arrived before them anyways.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7441 posts
3290 upvotes
Toronto
gem222 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 10:08 pm
Hi All!!
Thanks!!
ummmm
i don't understand the statement "neighbors insurance refusing to pay".
insurance INSURES THE CAR. Not the driver.

Your first job is to call your insurance provider.
Your second job is to provide your insurance provider with all of the accident information.
Your insurer, will sue/get compenssation from the car owners insurance.

done.

your final job is to sue them for additional damages over and above that. As no one was hurt from your home, it will be hard to get any sort of money from that. Maybe you can sue claiming that a special item was destroyed that you can't replace.
Last edited by daivey on Oct 10th, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.