• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 3:46 am
Aug 7, 2017
179 posts
151 upvotes
eldiablo wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 1:58 pm
IT'S ALL ABOUT PROFIT..Smiling Face With Horns

Makes you wonder what is the purpose of a house insurance if you actually continue to pay those stratospheric premiums over the next few years?
It's not ALL about profit, it's also a lot about RISK. Reading this thread I'd say the insurance company are making a good call...

Like it or not, some areas/vehicles/homes/people/etc are just higher risk than others, and yes that includes people who (for whatever reason) have made more than a usual number of claims over a period. If insurance companies didn't risk-rate their policies we'd all pay one big uniform premium, then everyone would be upset.
Jun 14, 2011
199 posts
75 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 11:28 pm
Uninsured motorist coverage should kick in and cover your vehicle if it's hit by a stolen car (or a car without insurance). Unfortunately this coverage is from YOUR auto insurance policy, which doesn't apply here.

Sorry for the crappy situation you're in.
stolen car is excluded if it's stolen by a family member.
Jun 14, 2011
199 posts
75 upvotes
Richmond Hill
subscribed for updates lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9653 posts
4020 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah! Pics or it didn't happen!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 2, 2014
939 posts
281 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
xXKEIXx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:27 pm
stolen car is excluded if it's stolen by a family member.
Not if you have All Perils rather than both collision and comprehensive (literally the same price - everyone who has full coverage should get All Perils rather than both comprehensive and collision).

Side note, OP, claim through your home insurance.

It will go up and you may have to go with a high risk company on renewal.

But $28K, that is why you pay for insurance.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13023 posts
1605 upvotes
RobertSmalls008 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:35 pm
Not if you have All Perils rather than both collision and comprehensive (literally the same price - everyone who has full coverage should get All Perils rather than both comprehensive and collision).

Anyone who has had experience with hurricane insurance from down south would understand the relation between the high premiums and risk. This is just nonsense. One small claim and some neighbour's kid runs into the house and your premium goes up ten fold. Sorry..this is not a measurable and congruent to any type of risk matrix.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46697 posts
12707 upvotes
Foundational damage only costing $28k? Must be one strong foundation there. Is it just patching up the cracks/damage with some cement-like compound?

Maybe this isn't the first time the tweener damaged a neighbor's house which is why premiums shoot up 10-fold?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46697 posts
12707 upvotes
RobertSmalls008 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:35 pm

What other benefits come with All Perils Rob? Maybe I should switch to that if TDMM allows.
Nov 2, 2014
939 posts
281 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
eldiablo wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 6:02 pm
Anyone who has had experience with hurricane insurance from down south would understand the relation between the high premiums and risk. This is just nonsense. One small claim and some neighbour's kid runs into the house and your premium goes up ten fold. Sorry..this is not a measurable and congruent to any type of risk matrix.
Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.

Statistically speaking, if you have 2 identical risks in every shape and form (impossible but hear me out):

One risk has that claim where a neighbour's kid ran into their house within the past 6 years.

The other risk has had no claims within the past 6 years.

Risk number 1 will statistically have more claims in the future.

It's been proven.

Shoot, aside from prior claims (any type of prior claim) helping predict future claims, in this scenario, risk number one lives near a confirmed f up.

Perhaps that f up neighbour will do something silly again in the future which could result in another claim

Bit of a stretch?

Yes, however, there is a method behind their madness..
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7710 posts
3555 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 6:02 pm
yeah that's what Im not really understanding either.

if they are indeed f-ing him over like this, he should post this story on their facebook page and hit them up on twitter and instagram too. If the OPs story is truly legit, and basically had 2 claims, that were real claims, and not BS.

i mean at first, I didn't understand what's going on and I was a bit of a dick (my dick-ness is more of a troll test, but yeah im an ******* some times).... but now that he finally explained it properly, and what's really happened, I'm actually quite surprised.... maybe there is more too it? maybe he has had more claims in the past years? I dont know... I mean i can take his word for it and say these were the only 2 claims he's ever made, ever. and overall he's a good person and safe driver... and now insurance drops him? that is BS.
and if that's the case, I would shit all over their facebook page. I for one would not even call cooperators for insurance quotes just based on this story.

whats the point of paying these premiums, so that they just drop you when you have one NOT at fualt claim, with CLEAR liability of who's at fault..... like seirously? I mean the OP is right... it's like pay $7000 a year premium for 5 years, or just pay for the repair out of pocket? IT almost breaks even... of course, i still go by what i said earlier, sueing them/etc. but yeah this is crazy.

it's great to know insurance has your back when you need it.... /s
Last edited by daivey on Oct 11th, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46697 posts
12707 upvotes
Insurance drops him after he makes a claim and then changes his mind? He should go through with the claim as I doubt it will only cost $28k and sue the company if it won't pay up.

That company or its employees are not fit to work in the insurance business.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Oct 11th, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9395 posts
1927 upvotes
Markham
OP, did you talk to your insurance rep or your broker about this?
If one causing damage to your property, IMO, they are 100% reliable for it. If they cannot afford to pay for the damage and if you file a lawsuit, they can go bankruptcy. Since they own a house, I assume they have a home equity to borrow. Again, this is too details, talk to your insurance and ask advice. In this situation, you only have to pay the deductible at the most. Your insurance pay to repair the damage and they are the one who should sue your neighbor for the money back, not you.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7710 posts
3555 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 7:51 pm
Insurance drops him after he makes a claim? He should sue the company.

That company or its employees are not fit to work in the insurance business.
well from his story that I gathered: he basically had an issue with his basement. and insurance tried to F him over on that.. but then the proof came in and he won the claim and didn't pay the deductible, which on a home policy is usually $1,000+. So he won that battle...
Then this shit happened, which he again is clearly not at fault, seems pretty black and white here.
And once he started processing the claim with them, they issued him a letter saying they will drop him in Sept... so I'm assuming he's already been dropped at this point and with a new insurer.

so if cooperators really is doing that... I mean I get it, 2 large claims, back to back in close proximity... but if cooperators were so PISSED at him for his basement claim, they should have dropped him at that point.

Anyway, as I pieced it together definitely side with him now, total BS, unless I missed something.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13023 posts
1605 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 7:47 pm
yeah that's what Im not really understanding either.

if they are indeed f-ing him over like this, he should post this story on their facebook page and hit them up on twitter and instagram too. If the OPs story is truly legit, and basically had 2 claims, that were real claims, and not BS.

i mean at first, I didn't understand what's going on and I was a bit of a dick (my dick-ness is more of a troll test, but yeah im an ******* some times).... but now that he finally explained it properly, and what's really happened, I'm actually quite surprised.... maybe there is more too it? maybe he has had more claims in the past years? I dont know... I mean i can take his word for it and say these were the only 2 claims he's ever made, ever. and overall he's a good person and safe driver... and now insurance drops him? that is BS.
and if that's the case, I would shit all over their facebook page. I for one would not even call cooperators for insurance quotes just based on this story.

whats the point of paying these premiums, so that they just drop you when you have one NOT at fualt claim, with CLEAR liability of who's at fault..... like seirously? I mean the OP is right... it's like pay $7000 a year premium for 5 years, or just pay for the repair out of pocket? IT almost breaks even... of course, i still go by what i said earlier, sueing them/etc. but yeah this is crazy.

it's great to know insurance has your back when you need it.... /s
EXACTLY!