Automotive

Underage driver accident - Help!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 3:46 am
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45462 posts
11912 upvotes
I doubt it will only cost $28k if it's foundational damage. I think the insurance co. is underestimating the cost of repair Maybe the neighbor had an excavator.

For a hypothetical wind damage to my roof costing say $10k, premium increase would be around double from $800 to $1600.

Something about the 10x increase isn't adding up.
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:23 pm
So the police were called.... was the minor charged in any way ? Do you have the incident/accident report ? You are going to need it for a lawyer. Do you have any evidence that the parents offered to pay ?

Talk about a little sketchy ....... " Also, not sure if this is relevant but as soon as I got my new insurance, I canceled my old insurance the day before they were set to non renew so there was no non renewal on my record ".

I think there is more involved here than just a small previous claim but ....... Your home insurance ( previous insurer Co-operators ) appear to have been willing to pay for the damages so you really don't have a beef against your insurance.

In all probability, unless the minor was charged with theft , then parents car insurance would not pay. I don't think that their home insurance is involved in any way. Personally, I can see why the parents insurance company does not want to communicate with you.

When I read the stuff you are saying, I would simply suggest that you are making things worse for yourself. This is a situation that should be handled in private and with a lawyer.

I would ask that the thread be closed and you carry on in private.
Yes, there was a police report, photos etc, i don't really want to post photos because they are identifiable, i would have to edit them to publish on this site. The 12 yr old was assigned a drivers license number and charged and was made to appear in court. the officer said nothing will happen other than the judge lecturing him, but this incident will be on his record when he gets his license apparently.

Haha yes I can see how it sounds sketchy....but actually it was the broker for the new ins co who told me to do the cancellation of my old policy and he actually arranged my new policy to start the day before so I could accomplish that. I didn't even know that having a "non renewal" on my record was a bad thing until HE told me. So i don't consider it sketchy.

I also talked to a lawyer who told me that home insurance companies don't communicate the same way auto insurance companies do so I could just go ahead and claim on the old insurance and my new insurance won't really check. Plus because i didn't really know that the neighbours were gonna change their minds about paying, its not my fault. I just wanna avoid taking that chance now.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3721 posts
646 upvotes
$28K not $280K. They don't have money to pay for the damage or they are not willing to pay? Sue them for the damage + lost of time/work etc. and they will end up paying more.

First and foremost, you should gather all the documents and evidence including police reports. Jot down the time, name of the persons involved and all the necessary paperworks in case you forgot later. Take a lot of pictures at different angles. Then get yourself a lawyer if you don't want to go through your own insurance. Else you have to talk to your home insurance.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 7:47 pm
yeah that's what Im not really understanding either.

if they are indeed f-ing him over like this, he should post this story on their facebook page and hit them up on twitter and instagram too. If the OPs story is truly legit, and basically had 2 claims, that were real claims, and not BS.

i mean at first, I didn't understand what's going on and I was a bit of a dick (my dick-ness is more of a troll test, but yeah im an ******* some times).... but now that he finally explained it properly, and what's really happened, I'm actually quite surprised.... maybe there is more too it? maybe he has had more claims in the past years? I dont know... I mean i can take his word for it and say these were the only 2 claims he's ever made, ever. and overall he's a good person and safe driver... and now insurance drops him? that is BS.
and if that's the case, I would shit all over their facebook page. I for one would not even call cooperators for insurance quotes just based on this story.

whats the point of paying these premiums, so that they just drop you when you have one NOT at fualt claim, with CLEAR liability of who's at fault..... like seirously? I mean the OP is right... it's like pay $7000 a year premium for 5 years, or just pay for the repair out of pocket? IT almost breaks even... of course, i still go by what i said earlier, sueing them/etc. but yeah this is crazy.

it's great to know insurance has your back when you need it.... /s
Well thanks for understanding!! I’m a single mom of a 4 yr old boy who saw another boy do something idiotic and dangerous and I felt sorry for his mom more than anything because I feel like my son will grow up and eventually do something stupid (hopefully not anywhere close to this stupid). They hit my gas line....they could have killed people, blown up my house, blown up the attached house (I live in a semi). They could have killed anyone walking on the sidewalk. The 2 kids weren’t really too phased by this, but the mom was really upset and I feel for her. The father lives in China so she is alone too. She also speaks practically zero English so every time we want to discuss we need translators.

Everyone is saying go through insurance but my (old) insurance co has really let me down. The first leak claim was a real hassle to get them to cover even though they got a settlement in the end.

I’ve come to realize that insurance is actually not there for these situations. They are there for more significant losses. My good friend is an actuary (studies stats for insurance cos) and basically all these premiums and decisions to non renew are based solely on risk. My house is a risk. I am a risk. Living next door to a dumb kid is a risk. Despite me only having these 2 incidents (1 paid and 1 pending) in 10 yrs, even if they are not my fault, also the fact that one was structural just makes me a risk they don’t want to take. That sucks and I don’t want to claim this if I can avoid it.

My original post was not supposed to get in so deep into the complexity of this whole situation. I basically wanted to know if their insurance should be covering it and why they aren’t and the possible “loop holes” I could be missing. Like I said, I know I can sue, I know I can claim through my old insurance....but are there any options I am missing regarding THEIR insurance paying. (Their company is intact insurance for both home and auto).

Thanks to all who have been taking the time to advise me.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1486 posts
281 upvotes
gem222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:54 pm
Despite me only having these 2 incidents (1 paid and 1 pending) in 10 yrs, even if they are not my fault, also the fact that one was structural just makes me a risk they don’t want to take.
The problem with home insurance, again, is that there actually isn't a fault. Almost all home claims are "not at fault". Off the top of my head: windstorm, hail, tree falling on your house, burglary - none of these are at fault. If insurance only charges when there's a fault, that math would never work.

Think of it this way though - you've paid insurance for 10 years, but how much are these two claims costing? Technically, in their perspective, despite your patronage of 10 years, you're actually not profitable.

Even though your insurance has let you down, they are still responsible for it.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7441 posts
3290 upvotes
Toronto
gem222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:54 pm
Well thanks for understanding!! I’m a single mom of a 4 yr old boy who saw another boy do something idiotic and dangerous and I felt sorry for his mom more than anything because I feel like my son will grow up and eventually do something stupid (hopefully not anywhere close to this stupid). They hit my gas line....they could have killed people, blown up my house, blown up the attached house (I live in a semi). They could have killed anyone walking on the sidewalk. The 2 kids weren’t really too phased by this, but the mom was really upset and I feel for her. The father lives in China so she is alone too. She also speaks practically zero English so every time we want to discuss we need translators.

Everyone is saying go through insurance but my (old) insurance co has really let me down. The first leak claim was a real hassle to get them to cover even though they got a settlement in the end.

I’ve come to realize that insurance is actually not there for these situations. They are there for more significant losses. My good friend is an actuary (studies stats for insurance cos) and basically all these premiums and decisions to non renew are based solely on risk. My house is a risk. I am a risk. Living next door to a dumb kid is a risk. Despite me only having these 2 incidents (1 paid and 1 pending) in 10 yrs, even if they are not my fault, also the fact that one was structural just makes me a risk they don’t want to take. That sucks and I don’t want to claim this if I can avoid it.

My original post was not supposed to get in so deep into the complexity of this whole situation. I basically wanted to know if their insurance should be covering it and why they aren’t and the possible “loop holes” I could be missing. Like I said, I know I can sue, I know I can claim through my old insurance....but are there any options I am missing regarding THEIR insurance paying. (Their company is intact insurance for both home and auto).

Thanks to all who have been taking the time to advise me.
so unlike auto insurance they don't check? that's good to know if your friend is giving reliable info. If that's the case, you should make the claim then and go through with it. and switch providers.... and still sue regardless. AT the end of the day, if they have liability insurance, I'm very certain this is a clear cut case and you will win
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 7:58 pm
I doubt it will only cost $28k if it's foundational damage. I think the insurance co. is underestimating the cost of repair Maybe the neighbor had an excavator.

For a hypothetical wind damage to my roof costing say $10k, premium increase would be around double from $800 to $1600.

Something about the 10x increase isn't adding up.
The damages have all been repaired and this actually includes the air Conditioner, the venting, gasline, masonry, structural engineer, all excavation and the foundation crack epoxy fill. That’s why I wanted to wait until it was finished before giving the neighbours a full amount because these things always end up more. But yes this all together came to just over $28k. I’m glad you think that is a good price. Everyone else thinks it’s mindblowingly expensive
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45462 posts
11912 upvotes
^ I thought the excavator/car actually went through your wall / support structure. Good thing it's not as bad.

Hopefully it's not that significant based on $28k that you have to disclose it when you decide to sell the house. Also, maybe the foundation is now twice as strong with all the fixer upping. :)
[OP]
May 7, 2010
38 posts
32 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:39 pm
^ I thought the excavator/car actually went through your wall / support structure. Good thing it's not as bad.

Hopefully it's not that significant based on $28k that you have to disclose it when you decide to sell the house. Also, maybe the foundation is now twice as strong with all the fixer upping. :)
Yes it was “just” a crack lol, all the way down to the footings bit they were able to gain access inside and outside to epoxy fill. Thanks 🙏🏼
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
3261 posts
825 upvotes
markham
I had 2 claims over 8 years on my house insurance..one was theft of property out of my vehicle and the other was damage from my neighbors vehicle..each claim was about 10k..small increase (10%) after second one..but never a threat of being dropped.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8400 posts
1823 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:33 pm
so unlike auto insurance they don't check? that's good to know if your friend is giving reliable info. If that's the case, you should make the claim then and go through with it. and switch providers.... and still sue regardless. AT the end of the day, if they have liability insurance, I'm very certain this is a clear cut case and you will win
Even if they don't have insurance, if OP wins the lawsuit, he can collect the money in other ways (garnishing wages, etc)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8161 posts
829 upvotes
This story makes no sense. The kid took the car without insurance. So the kid is at fault for property destruction. Neighbor's car insurance will be sky high. Of course OP will claim from the home insurance but no way that family get out scottfree.