None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9107 posts
2120 upvotes

Undercoat and rust protection

On new cars they keep selling you fabric, paint, undercoat and rust protection

Are they really worth it or it's just mostly fluf.

They each cost roughly 650$ with tax.

Was looking mostly at undercoat, rust protection and rust module but are they basically proved to make a significant difference?
I already picked up my new car, but I always have the option to go back for these. I assume they do them at the dealership?
24 replies
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
90% of these "upgrades" are bs. If you want it done do it at an independent shop. I don't believe in rustproofing unless you have a Mazda.

Or DIY as follows:

Fabric protection: take care of and clean your car. A vacuum, cloth, and not eating in your car can do wonders.
Paint protection: Don't get your car damaged, and wash/wax it occasionally
Rust protection: Don't get a Mazda
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2389 posts
450 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you don't mind lots of oil dripping, take it to krown. They even give warranty on new cars.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
All these are dealer BS sales, not from manufacturer. Your car is already well protected, skip these.

Recently (~10years) I've not encountered the dealers I went to trying to force sales of these BS stuff on me anymore. I'm surprised there are dealers still trying to sell these stuff.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9107 posts
2120 upvotes
Yea, they still are. Not forcing per say but they make sure you know about them while signing the papers. Happened now but it also happened in 2007 when I bought my Honda so I was expecting this. Only reason I am asking with this car purchase is because I will be moving to the prairies soon so no more saltless roads in the winter.

But just like in 2007 I assumed these are just most likely fluf that while they may provide some sort of minimal protection (but probably not significant) they are made to give the dealer significant profits (probably they cost no more than 100$ yet they charge 600$)
Aug 3, 2011
412 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
If you plan to keep the car for long time, then do the Krown. It won't cost $650 and you won't get any rust (assuming you do the treatment every year).
Aug 3, 2011
412 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 25th, 2015 5:02 pm
This?
https://www.krown.com/pricing/any-car-p ... t-control/

150$ with tax isn't a good deal if it must be done every year
If that is too much for you, then go to a crappytire store. Get one (or two) spray can of undercoat.....apply that yourself (it's gonna be harder to protect the side/doors using this spray, but whatever).

Remember, there's no one-time application that lasts forever. You should apply the undercoat every year, or you risk getting some rust (although the risk might be low for another year or two).
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 25th, 2015 4:53 pm
Yea, they still are. Not forcing per say but they make sure you know about them while signing the papers. Happened now but it also happened in 2007 when I bought my Honda so I was expecting this. Only reason I am asking with this car purchase is because I will be moving to the prairies soon so no more saltless roads in the winter.

But just like in 2007 I assumed these are just most likely fluf that while they may provide some sort of minimal protection (but probably not significant) they are made to give the dealer significant profits (probably they cost no more than 100$ yet they charge 600$)
I've got a 2011 Honda CR-V my parents currently use. Heat shield for exhaust pipes rusted out 3 years after the purchase and bottom cover fell off. There are some rust underneath but the car itself still looks quite clean (almost brand new). I never regret not having these protection packages on this car and it would not have covered the heat shield anyway.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Arabidopsis wrote:
May 25th, 2015 5:14 pm
If that is too much for you, then go to a crappytire store. Get one (or two) spray can of undercoat.....apply that yourself (it's gonna be harder to protect the side/doors using this spray, but whatever).

Remember, there's no one-time application that lasts forever. You should apply the undercoat every year, or you risk getting some rust (although the risk might be low for another year or two).
I don't know why people keep bringing this up. The way I see it, all new cars I looked at already has rust protection inside the doors already done from the factory. I see that gooey stuff around the bottom of doors and inside, isn't this the factory rust protection?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015 ... -car-.html

So should you buy a rustproofing package when buying a new car? “We don’t recommend rust proofing,” says Quincy. “It’s very likely a waste of money and almost all of the cost goes right into the pockets of the dealer.” Even third party rust-proofing is considered a bust, “after-market rust proofing is a waste of money regardless of who’s applying it,” says Quincy. “Factory rust proofing is all you need.”

I want to keep my car look like new and keep it away from rust too. However, I find existing solutions not worth the effort/cost.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9080 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Fabric protection: http://www.eshine.ca/303_high_tech_fabr ... php?cat=22
Paint protection: Twice a year claybar/Wax your whole car (that wax in the car washes do nothing)
Rust protection: Krown or Corrosion free, I personally use krown and am very happy with them. Yes its a yearly application like most products that actually work. The crap you buy from the dealer or other locations that dont need to be re-applied or last for 10years etc are all BS and a waste of money.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2389 posts
450 upvotes
Winnipeg
sickcars wrote:
May 25th, 2015 5:29 pm
Paint protection: Twice a year claybar/Wax your whole car (that wax in the car washes do nothing)
I used to do twice but Collinite 845 is working miracles even applied just once ( I do it on thanks giving week end , just beginning of cold weather and also to thank the car :-) ) . Great things are not necessarily expansive.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3011 posts
548 upvotes
I'm no expert but stone chips will still cause rust over the long term and i think it's a good idea to get it done underneath the car where salt and dirty is likely to accumulate during winter but that's about it. I had a shop spray Corrosion Free on the underside and doors but thinking of going a different root this time. When I got my car I asked the dealer a few questions regarding the electronic rust module:

Q: Is the car covered from Rust perforation (rusting from inside out)?
A: Yes, it's covered for the duration of the manufacture warranty.

Q: Is stone chips or getting dinged by another car that causes rust covered?
A: No that would be considered physical damage and would not be covered.

Q: The dirt/salt and crap that accumulates on a car during winter causes rust, is that covered?
A: If we deem the dirty/salt damaged the paint protection then no it is not covered. Clever answer and i guess the guy caught on.

Q: Then WTF does this module cover and why are you asking me $600 for it?
A: It's to protect the car.....

I did opt for the 3M scotchgard protection that covers 14" from the start of the hood, the side fenders and side mirrors. It's exactly like a screen protector but for your car, another family car has had it installed last year and has yet to peel or cause any issues and is virtually goes unnoticed. I then purchased the 3M door edge guard which was $20 bucks online, most likely going to add the 3M film to the rear fenders and possibly bottom door edges as well.

Idea is to protect most common areas that rust with the 3M film.