• May 27th, 2015 9:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1788 posts
296 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Father Krowned a Buick lesabre for about 7 years and the brake lines rusted out so we go with whatever is the cheapest option, around $50.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
Spring is still too early for rust protection. Plan for a DIY project with a compressor, a blow gun and a jug of Corrosion Free in Fall.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4295 upvotes
jebise wrote:
May 25th, 2015 7:05 pm
When I got my car I asked the dealer a few questions regarding the electronic rust module
you got ripped off
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2382 posts
448 upvotes
Winnipeg
slomo wrote:
May 26th, 2015 10:10 am
Spring is still too early for rust protection. Plan for a DIY project with a compressor, a blow gun and a jug of Corrosion Free in Fall.
Sorry ... This can be debated....

Krown mentions that best time to do rust proofing application is spring.
It is the time when temperature rises and rusting process accelerates. If at this time, the car is washed and sprayed, the rust prevention is at its best. When you spray in fall, the spray gets washed away in winter months ( And at winter months in sub zero temp , there is not much rust development) ...
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
There should not be no salt left over past winter. I like to clean up the salt deposits in early spring, when it is warm enough for the pressure washer to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qHtFWmFZLQ

I wish I could do this even during winter after the snow fall, but there is no coin op car wash around that allows for a quick connect attachment. I don't have enough space in my garage.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2996 posts
542 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
May 26th, 2015 10:42 am
you got ripped off
Don't think you read or understood my post.
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
"Corrosion free" was tested by the Canadian Military with good results, but I can't find the link.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4590 posts
1013 upvotes
Vancouver
so its safe to say its waste for rust protection for cars in the west coast (GVRD)?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1377 posts
970 upvotes
hesp wrote:
May 27th, 2015 5:52 pm
so its safe to say its waste for rust protection for cars in the west coast (GVRD)?
All the local Vancouver area cars seem to be fairly rust free. Most of the rusty ones came here from the eastern provinces. Noticed the location from the car lot stickers on the trunk.

The only rust I really see is on pick-up trucks, when they are using the boat ramps.
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
cjottawa wrote:
May 27th, 2015 8:38 pm
It was DRDC (Defence Research and Development Canada) that did the study. Here's a link: https://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/p526285.pdf

I use Corrosion Free Formula 3000 to "touch up" my car from time to time - spraying in the holes at the bottom of doors, in door sills, and opening frame plugs up to coat the inside. My mechanic uses a similar product (sticky, oily) to for undercoating. He indicates that he doesn't use "rubber" type undercoatings as he's seen them trap water next to the frame and cause hidden rust damage. Thus, he uses an oily product that displaces water.
Yes, the rubberized stuff will indeed trap water and the car will actually rust more.
Lots of people empty out couple of cans of the rubberized stuff before they sell their car...it does great job at hiding rust, but those who know better will walk away from those quick cover up jobs..