• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2010 1:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 7, 2009
9 posts

undermount sink dropped!

I have this new under mounted sink installed from the granite company when new granite countertop installed. Last night the sink just dropped when the sink is half filled with soap water to rinse the rags. :cry:

After the clean up, I looked at the sink and noticed that it was only sealed with silicone or some kind of clear glue but it has no clips attached the sink to the countertop. When I called the granite company this morning, they said they don't use clips. Is it right? Please give me some ideas on how to deal with this problem.

Thank you.
49 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6028 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
I notice that some granite companies don't use clips and don't need to but I did notice they use a type of epoxy rather then standard silicone. Epoxy can be rather strong as a matter of fact I've used a type of Hilti epoxy that was capable of supporting close to 1000 lbs. I used it to cement 5/8" threaded rod into 10" solid concrete to bolt down a 3500 lb washing machine in a correctional center. It worked like a charm and was as per spec.

Sorry for the story.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
1248 posts
7 upvotes
The guy who installed my granite countertop and undermount sink also did not use any type of clip, but in addition to the silicone, he also glued pieces of wood under the sink that overlap the sink's edge onto the countertop's bottom to reinforce it somewhat.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6261 posts
244 upvotes
Mine was set on top of wood pieces and epoxy onto them, then siliconed
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
sdiongzon wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 12:23 pm
I have this new under mounted sink installed from the granite company when new granite countertop installed. Last night the sink just dropped when the sink is half filled with soap water to rinse the rags. :cry:

After the clean up, I looked at the sink and noticed that it was only sealed with silicone or some kind of clear glue but it has no clips attached the sink to the countertop. When I called the granite company this morning, they said they don't use clips. Is it right? Please give me some ideas on how to deal with this problem.

Thank you.
As others have said most dont use clips....but our granite guy also told us not to fill the sink with water because of the added weight. I dont wash my dishes like that anyways, so we dont see it as an issue. Did they offer to fix the problem for you?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1160 upvotes
smilodon wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 1:03 pm
The guy who installed my granite countertop and undermount sink also did not use any type of clip, but in addition to the silicone, he also glued pieces of wood under the sink that overlap the sink's edge onto the countertop's bottom to reinforce it somewhat.
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 1:06 pm
Mine was set on top of wood pieces and epoxy onto them, then siliconed
Probably like shown on page 5 of www.kindredcanada.com/PDF/Designer/Install_31216.pdf

sdiongzon, did your sink come with installation instructions? If so, the best thing would be for the installer to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
May 3, 2008
22 posts
1 upvote
Markham
mmhassa2 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 1:07 pm
As others have said most dont use clips....but our granite guy also told us not to fill the sink with water because of the added weight. I dont wash my dishes like that anyways, so we dont see it as an issue. Did they offer to fix the problem for you?
You got to be kidding me ! How impractical and stupid it would be if one has a sink but cannot fill it with water..
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
wongmb wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 1:31 pm
You got to be kidding me ! How impractical and stupid it would be if one has a sink but cannot fill it with water..
Well many people do not wash their dishes with the sink filled with water. ;) I'm sure if it's an issue you could ask them to make sure its put together as speedyforme has his installed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5759 posts
543 upvotes
I simply can't imagine that silicone by itself would support a sink with the additional weight of a lot of water in it.

By coincidence I was watching an episode of This Old House a couple days ago and they were at a granite place seeing countertops being made and they watched as grooves were cut into the underside of the granite around the sink opening, hardware placed into the grooves and then epoxy poured into the grooves to hold the hardware in place. This was to provide the necessary support for the under counter sink that was to be installed.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4069 posts
139 upvotes
mmhassa2 wrote:
but our granite guy also told us not to fill the sink with water because of the added weight.
what the...
i'm surprised by this statement as well...

sure you don't need to fill the entire sink with water but what if you filled the sink with half water and the rest dishes...or if you're thawing a turkey in the sink with water... man that would be disastrous! x_X
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6261 posts
244 upvotes
yeah putting pots and pans that are heavy is just as bad as water so I don't believe not filling your sink with water thing
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
mmhassa2 wrote:
I'd be worried if I was told my sink couldn't hold the weight when it's full of water, as it tells me not only did they not do a proper job of installing the thing, they knew it was installed improperly. There's a difference between a reasonable amount of weight that the sink should bear and an unreasonable amount... IMO it's reasonable to expect a sink to be able to hold its weight when filled with water.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
WalnutCrunch wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 3:05 pm
I'd be worried if I was told my sink couldn't hold the weight when it's full of water, as it tells me not only did they not do a proper job of installing the thing, they knew it was installed improperly. There's a difference between a reasonable amount of weight that the sink should bear and an unreasonable amount... IMO it's reasonable to expect a sink to be able to hold its weight when filled with water.
We havent had any problems so far, then again I havent and probably will not fill it with water. But as far as pots and pans...well I do that regularly and no problems so far. I guess I can see why they would warn us, I mean some people even give baths to their little ones in the kitchen sink filled with water. So maybe they just wanted to warn us about not over filling it with extra weight. In any case it's not a problem for us, but hope OP's situation gets solved.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2589 posts
51 upvotes
My washroom granite countertop which was purchased from home depot has 4 or 5 clips holding the undermounted sink in position.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2009
9 posts
Thank you for all your comment. I called the kitchen cabinet company (new cabinet just got installed too) to let them know the incident, they couldn't believe it neither.

Anyway, the granite guy came earlier to reinstall the sink. I afraid to use it now as I usually wash dishes by hand. Do I need to have some plywood support for this sink, if so how do I screw the plywood to the granite?

Thanks.
× < >