• Jul 7th, 2017 11:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9960 posts
591 upvotes
Mississauga

Underrated Travel Destinations

I just got back from Lisbon, Portugal where I spent about a week. I had done my research but I was still unprepared for how incredible the city is. It's so beautiful there, filled with charming and atmospheric neighbourhoods. Lots to see and do, amazing food, great nightlife, friendly locals, and the single best hostel I've ever stayed at. There are multiple day trip options from the city that are fantastic as well (Sintra, Cascais, etc.). I'm a bit surprised with myself that I took this long to discover it. Many of the people I met while there were also there for the first time and were also amazed/surprised by how awesome it was. I guess a lot of us placed the more traditional big European tourist cities like London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam and Barcelona above it and placed it lower on the travel priority list for whatever reason.

Do you have a similar travel destination that doesn't get as much press as it deserves?
58 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5957 posts
858 upvotes
Mississauga
Portugal is underrated? I'm heading there next year.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jan 8, 2012
331 posts
86 upvotes
Williams Lake
I went to Lisbon last November.

Beautiful city, clean, friendly and affordable.

It was the perfect break between the clamour of London and New York.

As for other choices, the one that stands out for me is Hanoi, Vietnam. It was a side-trip from Hong Kong, almost an after-thought, but it turned out to be one of the most memorable of the dozen cities I've visited so far. A bit rough around the edges, but affordable, safe, friendly and full of amazing things to see and do.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9960 posts
591 upvotes
Mississauga
Raggie wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:01 am
Portugal is underrated? I'm heading there next year.
Compared to the other Western European countries? Definitely. Its neighbor Spain casts an especially large shadow.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9960 posts
591 upvotes
Mississauga
wudtsilake wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:57 am

As for other choices, the one that stands out for me is Hanoi, Vietnam. It was a side-trip from Hong Kong, almost an after-thought, but it turned out to be one of the most memorable of the dozen cities I've visited so far. A bit rough around the edges, but affordable, safe, friendly and full of amazing things to see and do.
Yeah, most people seem to favour HCMC, but Hanoi is lovely, with a very charming Old Quarter.
Nov 30, 2010
190 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:33 pm
I just got back from Lisbon, Portugal where I spent about a week. I had done my research but I was still unprepared for how incredible the city is. It's so beautiful there, filled with charming and atmospheric neighbourhoods. Lots to see and do, amazing food, great nightlife, friendly locals, and the single best hostel I've ever stayed at. There are multiple day trip options from the city that are fantastic as well (Sintra, Cascais, etc.). I'm a bit surprised with myself that I took this long to discover it. Many of the people I met while there were also there for the first time and were also amazed/surprised by how awesome it was. I guess a lot of us placed the more traditional big European tourist cities like London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam and Barcelona above it and placed it lower on the travel priority list for whatever reason.

Do you have a similar travel destination that doesn't get as much press as it deserves?
I play on going next april, any recommendations?
Nov 30, 2010
190 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
wudtsilake wrote:

i plan to go next april, any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1062 posts
309 upvotes
New York City
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 7:55 am
Yeah, most people seem to favour HCMC, but Hanoi is lovely, with a very charming Old Quarter.
Hoi An, Sapa, and Dalat and Phu Quoc are my favorite.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 7:53 am
Compared to the other Western European countries? Definitely. Its neighbor Spain casts an especially large shadow.
I think it is just a question of distance. By rail or bus, you really need to want to go to Portugal. But from Canada by plane, or even flying via Ireland or the UK (EasyJet or Ryanair), it is not really an issue. If one country isn't enough for you, nearby Morocco (Marakesh, Fes, Chefchowan...) is also great . They will soon have a highe speed train from Tangier to Casablanca.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9960 posts
591 upvotes
Mississauga
hankook wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 1:39 pm
I play on going next april, any recommendations?
The three main neighbourhoods in Lisbon are Baixa, Alfama, and Bairro Alto. Baixa is the lower town and flat. Alfama is the very hilly district to the east while Bairro Alto is the very hilly district to the west. All three are great walking areas and fun to just explore. Belem is a suburb about half an hour west of central Lisbon and has four major attractions: the Monument to the Discoveries and Belem Tower along the coast, the Jeronimos Monastery near the Tower, and the famous bakery where Pasteis de Belem were invented (they taste incredible). Two nice day trip destinations are Sintra and Cascais, each a quick train ride away.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1023 posts
151 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
wudtsilake wrote:

We absolutely loved Hanoi, but we'd read on TA already that more people preferred Hanoi over HCMC.

In regards to Lisbon, it's on our ever growing bucket list. So is Dubrovnik, BTW.
May 7, 2015
478 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I recently did a trip to Africa, including South Africa, Botswana, and Zimbabwe. And while South Africa and Zimbabwe get all the attention, Botswana is very underrated. A relatively small country of just two million people, it has some of the most incredible sights I've seen, and such warm and friendly people. The Okavanago Delta in particular is such a unique gem, there's few places on Earth I can say I've had a sublime experience, and that was one of them.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27672 posts
3813 upvotes
Ottawa
Rhodes, another of the Greek Isles.
Has been discovered by Brits but still quite quiet. Great beaches, some resorts, medieval town of Rhodes and home of the Order of St Johns. Not a tourist haven yet so still a great place to visit.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9960 posts
591 upvotes
Mississauga
BaconBaron wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 7:56 am
I recently did a trip to Africa, including South Africa, Botswana, and Zimbabwe. And while South Africa and Zimbabwe get all the attention, Botswana is very underrated. A relatively small country of just two million people, it has some of the most incredible sights I've seen, and such warm and friendly people. The Okavanago Delta in particular is such a unique gem, there's few places on Earth I can say I've had a sublime experience, and that was one of them.
I just came back from Botswana as well (along with Portugal) and did an incredible 7 day camping safari there. It's easily the equal of the more famous Serengeti/Masai Mara in Tanzania/Kenya, with more varied terrain as well. Far less crowded too.

I think the main issue with Botswana is that it targets wealthier travellers (low numbers of travellers but higher revenue per person). Budget trips there are fewer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5957 posts
858 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 9:31 am
Rhodes, another of the Greek Isles.
Has been discovered by Brits but still quite quiet. Great beaches, some resorts, medieval town of Rhodes and home of the Order of St Johns. Not a tourist haven yet so still a great place to visit.
Naxos is another one (better sunsets than Oia). I'll be sad when it gets discovered. (Rhodes and Chana are two I need to visit).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.