• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2017 2:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9698 posts
488 upvotes
Mississauga
I nominate Panama as well. Next door neighbour Costa Rica gets all the attention but Panama has much of the same type of geography and activities, but with less crowds and cheaper prices.
Jul 5, 2004
21991 posts
1943 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 3:10 pm
Naxos is another one (better sunsets than Oia). I'll be sad when it gets discovered. (Rhodes and Chana are two I need to visit).
Naxos gets very busy in July and August. It's definitely not an unknown.

Sticking to the subject of Greece, there's a few villages on Crete that can only be reached by ferry. They are relatively unknown by most travelers, yet they are absolutely incredible to visit. Loutro is one such example.

Also, the mainland of Greece is incredible but so many people only visit the islands. I loved the Peloponnese. So many friends have gone to Greece and despite my recommendation of spending time on the mainland, they only visit Athens and the islands. Same thing on the thorn tree forums, I'd estimate 90% of people who ask for help on those forums are only going to see Athens and the islands. The mainland is very underrated.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1424 posts
377 upvotes
Victoria
Eastern Europe and the Panama/Nicaragua area (not Costa Rica)
Jan 31, 2013
979 posts
138 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Rhodes has been a major tourist destination for Europeans since the sixties, together with Crete.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26574 posts
3273 upvotes
Ottawa
knuks101 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 8:37 am
Rhodes has been a major tourist destination for Europeans since the sixties, together with Crete.
Rhodes has been out of favour for a decade or more now, hence, return to the underrated realm. Most tourism now comes from cruise ship stops.
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome! Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3995 posts
210 upvotes
Underrated in general or underrated as Canadians?

In general, I'd agree with Portugal, Haiti (ok infrastructure is almost non-existent) Paraguay & Uruguay. Honourable mention goes out to Rwanda and Cameroon.

For Canadians, South America in general (although I'm told more Canadians are going to Peru for Machu Picchu), Eastern Europe (in general) and San Marino.
Let's be honest most Canadians go to the US, then Mexico/Caribbean and Western Europe. We need to expand our world view.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Jan 31, 2013
979 posts
138 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 5:30 pm
Underrated in general or underrated as Canadians?

In general, I'd agree with Portugal, Haiti (ok infrastructure is almost non-existent) Paraguay & Uruguay. Honourable mention goes out to Rwanda and Cameroon.

For Canadians, South America in general (although I'm told more Canadians are going to Peru for Machu Picchu), Eastern Europe (in general) and San Marino.
Let's be honest most Canadians go to the US, then Mexico/Caribbean and Western Europe. We need to expand our world view.
money and time may play a factor too, though :) I grew up in Europe, so I was lucky that we visited different European countries every summer holiday. Now that I live in Canada, I don't have much desire to visit Europe anymore, although there are still a few places I'd like to see.

As kids, we were always laughing about the north American tourists, trying to squeeze in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Rome and Barcelona in a week (well, two weeks maybe), not realizing at the time that a) the average person in north America doesn't get as much time off as the average European and b) the distances in Europe are very small, compared to north America.
Apr 12, 2012
550 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
How about Anticosti Island in southern Quebec. It's bigger than PEI, but has only 300 people. You can't beat the charms of our nation. Greece is nice, but it's not Canada
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9698 posts
488 upvotes
Mississauga
Other than Bali, people don't talk about Indonesia much as a travel destination. It's a huge country, so there's got to be some good stuff to see and do there.
Mar 11, 2011
523 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
I propose the interior of Mexico. 90% of tourists go to a resort on the beach while the colonial cities of the interior are almost empty of foreign tourists, with the exception of some Europeans. Mexico City is one of the world's great capitals. For colonial charm, places like Guanajuato have it all. For nature, the monarch butterfly sanctuaries are one of nature's best spectacles. Your Canadian loonie goes a long way there too.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3995 posts
210 upvotes
knuks101 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 6:22 pm
money and time may play a factor too, though :) I grew up in Europe, so I was lucky that we visited different European countries every summer holiday. Now that I live in Canada, I don't have much desire to visit Europe anymore, although there are still a few places I'd like to see.

As kids, we were always laughing about the north American tourists, trying to squeeze in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Rome and Barcelona in a week (well, two weeks maybe), not realizing at the time that a) the average person in north America doesn't get as much time off as the average European and b) the distances in Europe are very small, compared to north America.
Reminds me trying to do London, Lyon, Mont Blanc/Chamonix, Zurich, Ibiza, Belfast and Dublin in just under 2 weeks...whirlwind but worth it...
No way could I go back to 2 weeks time off. I'd walk out of an interview if that's all I was given.
Life is too damn short to just spend in the office.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Jun 15, 2015
985 posts
250 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If we are looking at underrated destinations from a Canadian perspective I'm going to nominate the Canary Islands. The Europeans (especially the Brits) flock there all the time. Tons of great resorts (all inclusive as well if that's what floats your boat), lots to do, gorgeous Islands overall.

I've been a few times but went again this year in mid Feb for the first time. Went back to Las Palmas and Tenerife this year.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13666 posts
1347 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:01 am
Other than Bali, people don't talk about Indonesia much as a travel destination. It's a huge country, so there's got to be some good stuff to see and do there.
There's a reason for that. The rest of the country is run by fundamentalists who like to attack tourists and others who don't follow their religion.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Jun 14, 2011
3 posts
Markham
Recently went to Istanbul, Turkey for the first time. Not sure if its underrated, but would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Amazing food, culture, people, prices (pretty cheap), history, architecture, the list goes on.
Mar 6, 2015
37 posts
110 upvotes
Fredericton, NB
The Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) are beautiful, affordable, not overrun with tourists, and very modern.