• May 3rd, 2017 8:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton

Unicorn Drink at Starbucks

I'm more of a black coffee kind of person, but I have to admit Starbucks' Unicorn Frappuccino sparked my curiosity.

-It changes colour (as things tend to do when you mix them).
-It apparently tastes like sweet and sour candy.
-It has generated a crazy amount of "news" coverage.

Available in Canada starting April 19th. But only for 5 days (presumably because it doesn't taste that good).

Last edited by MonctonMan on Apr 18th, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
37 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18200 posts
3320 upvotes
Thornhill
How much sugar in a venti?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6674 posts
1035 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:37 pm
How much sugar in a venti?
A tall has 39g of sugar and 280 calories, so a venti would have 78g of sugar and 560 calories. Definitely won't be getting this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
Without having to sit through 5 minutes of garbage, is there actually a spot where it changes color?
Or is it just due to mixing?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
LOL. It looks amazing. But it isn't a "shake" unless it is mixed. A desert inspired by Instagram.

On a side note, over the weekend I tried a German iced coffee (cold coffee and ice cream). Visually stunning, unfortunately it didn't really taste that great, the ingredients tasting far better when separate.

Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6124 posts
1064 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:03 pm
A tall has 39g of sugar and 280 calories, so a venti would have 78g of sugar and 560 calories. Definitely won't be getting this.
I heard a woman comment today that it wasn't sweet enough. Lol!!

I'm sticking to my London Fog with sugar-free syrup. The Teavana Earl Grey is the best I've ever tasted. Lots of Bergamot, a hint of lemon drop and somehow it tastes like cardamom.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
I'm still amazed that Starbucks somehow managed to convince millions of people that a dairy free milkshake with 100g of sugar is a "coffee" and something to get daily.

Aug 22, 2014
879 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:21 pm
Without having to sit through 5 minutes of garbage, is there actually a spot where it changes color?
Or is it just due to mixing?
Sat through 5 minutes of garbage for you. It's just due to mixing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
Thanks. You deserve it.
So the "media" is going nuts over a drink that doesn't do anything but contain food coloring?
Aug 22, 2014
879 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:13 pm
Thanks. You deserve it.
So the "media" is going nuts over a drink that doesn't do anything but contain food coloring?
According to my thorough research it also changes flavours: "Magical flavors start off sweet and fruity transforming to pleasantly sour."

Lots of ingredients but none of them contain coffee...

Ingredients
Ice, Milk, Crème Frappuccino Syrup [Water, Sugar, Salt, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid], Whipped Cream [Cream (Cream, Mono And Diglycerides, Carageenan), Vanilla Syrup (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid)], Mango Syrup [Sugar, Water, Mango Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavor, Passion Fruit Juice Concentrate, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Turmeric, Gum Arabic], Blue Drizzle [White Chocolate Mocha Sauce (Sugar, Condensed Skim Milk, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Sorbate, Monoglycerides), Classic Syrup (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid), Sour Blue Powder (Citric Acid, Color [Spirulina, Water, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid])], Pink Powder [Dextrose, Fruit And Vegetable Color (Apple, Cherry, Radish, Sweet Potato)], Sour Blue Powder [Citric Acid, Color (Spirulina, Water, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid)].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:10 pm
I'm still amazed that Starbucks somehow managed to convince millions of people that a dairy free milkshake with 100g of sugar is a "coffee" and something to get daily.
Pretty sure most Frap fans know that their "crème" or "cream" Frappuccinos don't contain coffee. They are great for teenagers or people who don't like caffeine after 3pm. And arguably no less healthy than a donut, slice of pie, pastry or even a large soft drink (or beer, wine or liquor).

Milkshakes are an American tradition that Starbucks can hardly take credit for. It is a drink that is quite adapted to a drinking age of 21, cheap milk, religions that ban alcohol and warm climates.

I don't know of anybody that gets a frappuccino daily, although they might be out there.

https://www.starbucks.ca/menu/beverage-list/frappuccino

If it is any consolation, Starbucks failed miserably in Australia.
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article ... c58c4f1b65

Although apparently they are trying again.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 822b1e31b4

Tim Hortons should try Australia and introduce inexpensive drip coffee to the working class folks in Melbourne (where winters are quite cool). Not sure what the Australian equivalent is to a Tims Ice cap.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10410 posts
1572 upvotes
Ottawa
tried it. Reminds me of the candies I used to eat, It's almost disgustingly sweet or sour until you mix it well and then it seems ok.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
sn00ch wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:51 pm
According to my thorough research it also changes flavours: "Magical flavors start off sweet and fruity transforming to pleasantly sour."
Oh that's easy to do then.
MonctonMan wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 3:35 pm
Pretty sure most Frap fans know that their "crème" or "cream" Frappuccinos don't contain coffee. They are great for teenagers or people who don't like caffeine after 3pm. And arguably no less healthy than a donut, slice of pie, pastry or even a large soft drink (or beer, wine or liquor).

Milkshakes are an American tradition that Starbucks can hardly take credit for. It is a drink that is quite adapted to a drinking age of 21, cheap milk, religions that ban alcohol and warm climates.
The difference is that Starbucks somehow convinced people that drinking them daily is a good idea.
Milkshakes used to be an occasional treat.
Also at a hugely inflated cost considering there's nothing expensive in them.
I don't know of anybody that gets a frappuccino daily, although they might be out there.
I know quite a few people that have a daily addiction.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 6:06 pm
I know quite a few people that have a daily addiction.
"Habit" if they are drinking the non-coffee versions. I thank them for paying the rent. :) Although there is arguably less labour involved in black coffee.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1631 posts
305 upvotes
sn00ch wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:24 pm
Sat through 5 minutes of garbage for you. It's just due to mixing.
thanks for taking one for the team :)
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)