• Nov 18th, 2017 7:04 pm
Tags:
None
774 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1079 upvotes
No, I'll continue to use the TTC since the UPE would only save me about 10 minutes vs. the TTC.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
isnt that expensive? compared to shuttle busses and taxi (2 people)
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2449 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
lols at the people wanting 20 stations for this line, just take the TTC if you can't afford it

i think it's fair, obviously aimed at tourists (if there is such a thing in TO) and solo travellers out of downtown

it's long overdue, it's laughable as a "major city" that we don't have a train that links directly downtown
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9185 posts
270 upvotes
I thought 27.50 was a bit much...but $19 is doable.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3018 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
Depends how long it will run, might be attractive way of getting downtown for some esp during the evening.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14317 posts
876 upvotes
Markham
medalgo wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 1:08 pm
lols at the people wanting 20 stations for this line, just take the TTC if you can't afford it

i think it's fair, obviously aimed at tourists (if there is such a thing in TO) and solo travellers out of downtown

it's long overdue, it's laughable as a "major city" that we don't have a train that links directly downtown
+1
ShadowVlican
Dec 5, 2010
481 posts
62 upvotes
I live right by the bloor station for this express which is pretty awesome.

But living right by the bloor station means taking the $3 TTC option super convenient as well.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9185 posts
270 upvotes
olek86 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 1:17 pm
Depends how long it will run, might be attractive way of getting downtown for some esp during the evening.
It says 25 minutes from Union to Pearson.
http://www.upexpress.com/en/information ... .aspx#faqs

Can this be used to get from Bloor and Dundas to Union Station? I only see pricing to Pearson and back.
What about stops in between? Might be useful as an alternate line for those in the West end to get downtown.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2157 posts
314 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow, that is highway robbery.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1079 upvotes
rems wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 1:32 pm
It says 25 minutes from Union to Pearson.
http://www.upexpress.com/en/information ... .aspx#faqs

Can this be used to get from Bloor and Dundas to Union Station? I only see pricing to Pearson and back.
What about stops in between? Might be useful as an alternate line for those in the West end to get downtown.
Here's the full fare structure.

https://twitter.com/moore_oliver/status ... 96/photo/1
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1139 posts
308 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Man, what world are these politicians or whoever came up with this crap living in...?
I wonder if they've ever heard of use-cases or user stories...or anything like that...

a) Regular who needs to go in/out of the airport: I believe it's $300/mo for a monthly pass...but there are people who have been able to make it to and from on a daily basis via TTC or GO...and I'm certain either isn't $300/month as the TTC metropass is $120/mo and the GO is $180-$200 depending on your route.
b) downtowner on the odd flight in/out of Toronto: So yes, cheaper than a taxi or shuttle however, if you're with a group of friends (which is generally the case with leisurely travel) you're probably better off splitting a cab and paying 1/2 of the one-way fare.
c) in/out of the city on a weekly basis e.g. a business-man: well with an expense account I'm pretty sure you're better off paying the extra $30 and taking the cab solo just because it's probably easier to expense a cab receipt, plus I believe they have 'designated' drivers for these people who probably compare to the $27.50 fare. And when you have your carry-on plus laptop bag, you'd rather transport it safe and conveniently in a cab rather than public transportation...lose your laptop...you lose your job pretty much...
d) international visitor into Toronto: again, if you're coming with a group it's cheaper to take a cab especially with all the luggage you have....and even if you get that 'glorious' Presto Card...I believe it is $6 (pushing the single passenger fare to $25) - a whopping savings of $2.

I think the problem here is 95% of politicians have never worked in industry and know basic econ or pricing models, have probably never dealt with public transportation because they only ride it for PR purposes and have paid drivers transporting them everywhere.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15801 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
It's $60-ish to take taxi from d/t to the airport. So I guess there's some savings.

EDIT: don't forget the horrible tips "required" by Toronto cabbies. So make that at least $67.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2380 posts
148 upvotes
Don't complain about high cost.

This train is NOT meant for regular people.

It's aimed at "time-pressed executives."

“Business travellers are used to paying the cost of a cab and this will definitely be cheaper than the cost of a cab from downtown,” Aikins said. Link
Aug 30, 2008
836 posts
90 upvotes
ON
Well given how many problems Presto had when it rolled out (and still has)...I'm not too surprised.

- $19~ now? It'll be $25 with a price hike before you know it. $19 right now just sounds more acceptable than $20.

- Sucks for those that were needing to go regularly. $10 one way is a lot for people working at the airport and would presumably be taking it at least 5 times a week. That's ~$400/mo on public transportation. Driving is clearly the better way.

- I love how the pricing assumes people already live by the U-P.

- Intended to meet the needs of many people as possible? Talk about the biggest overstatement of the year... more like, priced out so really, the commoners can continue taking the TTC or sharing a car. But for outsiders looking in, yes, Toronto has a new shiny airport train.