Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
May 27th, 2016 9:54 pm
The Heathrow Express is a completely different kettle of fish. First, it came long after the subway option was available so there was clear evidence that it would work. Second, it was built by the Heathrow Airport Authority and paid for by them and not the public purse. Thirdly, it's pricing made it attractive to business travellers. The UPX had none of these.
I don't disagree with this. I'm just saying that Toronto needed this line, regardless of how it gets paid for. Pearson is now at least in the same league as other serious international airports.

Presto integration is embarrassing (separate Presto machines required for UP and GO?), but with the ability to transfer at Union to either GO or the subway using the same card, there are the beginnings of a modern transit system.

At this point, I almost don't care how it gets done or how much it costs. Expanding, extending, and integrating the transit system - the work that Metrolinx is doing - needs to keep this momentum forward to bring us into the 21st century. This is more important than building new roads, and if needed then tolls should be added to existing roads to pay for it.

The other embarrassment is Toronto's subway system and how limiting it currently is.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
thisismyid wrote:
May 27th, 2016 5:40 pm
What does it mean "Toronto needs this to be taken seriously "? So places without it should not be taken seriously ? People in those cities would just live in shame ?
Right. Toronto isn't really what you'd call a "world-class city" at the moment but it does have aspirations in that direction. If it ever hopes to be considered that way then it needs constant, steady progress toward providing the amenities and facilities that such cities provide. This includes a rapid airport-city link, a modern and mature subway system, and good fare integration across the region.

Having Kwanzaa festivals in Nathan Phillips Square won't do it alone.
Jun 5, 2015
871 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbg wrote:
May 28th, 2016 10:10 am
Right. Toronto isn't really what you'd call a "world-class city" at the moment but it does have aspirations in that direction. If it ever hopes to be considered that way then it needs constant, steady progress toward providing the amenities and facilities that such cities provide. This includes a rapid airport-city link, a modern and mature subway system, and good fare integration across the region.

Having Kwanzaa festivals in Nathan Phillips Square won't do it alone.
What's the deal with being a world class city anyway? Does it make people live better? Does it make housing more affordable , education more accessible ? How is it different from some teenagers wanting a fancy phone just so they could feel cool and laugh at kids who don't ?
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
thisismyid wrote:
May 28th, 2016 10:53 am
What's the deal with being a world class city anyway? Does it make people live better? Does it make housing more affordable , education more accessible ? How is it different from some teenagers wanting a fancy phone just so they could feel cool and laugh at kids who don't ?
No - it just expands your opportunities and allows you to be taken more seriously for global business, which is good for jobs, etc. Sort of like why it's important to have 5-star hotels (which Toronto didn't until quite recently).

Canada is not great at productivity and I can't say they wouldn't squander any opportunities this brought, so you may be right that the aspiration is misplaced.
Jun 5, 2015
871 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbg wrote:
May 28th, 2016 6:45 pm
No - it just expands your opportunities and allows you to be taken more seriously for global business, which is good for jobs, etc. Sort of like why it's important to have 5-star hotels (which Toronto didn't until quite recently).

Canada is not great at productivity and I can't say they wouldn't squander any opportunities this brought, so you may be right that the aspiration is misplaced.
I think it should be the other way around , first you need to have something to offer so outsiders want to do business with you, then you build the infrastructure to facilitate - otherwise it would've been just like Kim K , no matter how rich and famous she gets, she is still only known for that sex tape and her attention- wh0r€-ness
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1681 posts
23 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I have a question to ask you folks - and I wanted to know, who is likely to be "at fault" for not providing the proper fare to ride the UP Express?

Let's say I was riding the UP Express and I was with my teacher (from my childhood/high school days) telling her how she liked the UP Express.
However, that conversation was interrupted by one of the Union Pearson Express attendants demanding to check to see if she had the proper fare to ride the UP Express. It goes like this:

UPX attendant:
May I see your proof of fare please?

Teacher: Yes. (hands Presto Card to the UPX attendant)

UPX attendant: Are you going right to the airport?

Teacher:
Yes.

(machine beeps with an error)

UPX attendant: Did you tap on the silver validators?

Teacher: What silver validators?

UPX attendant:
You made a big mistake, ma'am. You tapped on the green PRESTO validators instead of the silver ones.
In that scenario, who's most likely to blame in this? Either me for not telling her to validate on the silver grey validators or is it the teacher's fault? In a related case, I witnessed the same situation by another passenger a while back.

A colleague of mine from another message board stated that when he and her fiance rode the UP Express, an attendant told them that he/she pointed out to them to a green validator at the UPX Concourse at Union Station. As a result, they have to get their cards "overridden". I don't know if they are going to the airport (if they tapped on the green validators), however. That colleague told me that it was the attendant that was "at fault" - unless otherwise.
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I can definitively state that the above situations happen dozens of times per day. The customer can get the card straightened out by seeing a station attendant at a GO station.

Currently all the validators are undergoing fare integration testing so that the situation won't happen. Hopefully by the end of the summer it won't matter which one you tap on or off at. It was a huge mistake to separate them into two systems but it took reality to get the integration going. Thanks UPX leadership for the forward thinking efforts. :facepalm:
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26244 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
elmst200 wrote:
May 27th, 2016 10:34 am
Are there any latest updates on ridership?
Union Pearson Express marks 1st year with near-4x ridership surge following fare cut

While the every-15-minute train service was carrying about 2,200 daily average riders at the start of the year, the service announced Monday — UPX’s one-year mark — that it now boards 8,200 passengers a day.

Ridership is expected to keep growing, climbing about 6 per cent a week. Four out of five of passengers take the train to the airport, while the rest are commuters, Aikins added.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6321 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 9:21 pm
Union Pearson Express marks 1st year with near-4x ridership surge following fare cut

While the every-15-minute train service was carrying about 2,200 daily average riders at the start of the year, the service announced Monday — UPX’s one-year mark — that it now boards 8,200 passengers a day.

Ridership is expected to keep growing, climbing about 6 per cent a week. Four out of five of passengers take the train to the airport, while the rest are commuters, Aikins added.
Last report I read in April/May was that the ridership subsidy was $45 per trip. I wonder has the situation improved with the increased ridership?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1986 posts
62 upvotes
GTA
The new ridership number beats the expectation. However, 8,200/day ridership number is still 40-50% of capacity. Way to go.
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 9:21 pm

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
302 upvotes
And yet no one is up in arms about the subway in scarberia.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26244 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
thisismyid wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 11:29 am
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/0 ... vince.html

"provincial government subsidized passengers on the troubled Union Pearson Express last year at a rate of $52.26 per ride."

It's a joke right?
No joke.

Remember, UPX Was Never To Break Even

"With all the hoopla surrounding the launch of service on the Union-Pearson Express (aka UPX or UP Express), it was refreshing to learn today from no less than the CEO of Metrolinx, Bruce McCuaig, that the line will never cover its costs."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6768 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Once Wynne cronies got well paying cushy jobs who cares.

I took it last Sunday to the Airport.

$5.30 non Presto price and it was fast, efficient and got to the airport on time.

Needed to go to Terminal 1 and this is exactly where the train pulled in.

You'll need extra time if heading to Terminal 3 as you will need to ho onto the monorail to Terminal 3.

The carriage I was in had at least one person in just about every seat except for a few.

Experience was seamless. Attendant asked to see tickets right after being seated, just glanced at it, did not scrutinize, and that was it.

I guess with Presto card, they scan to see if you tapped or you get receipt when you tap.

At Weston station you have to tap downstairs before heading up to the platform.

I headed to the wrong side initially.

Lack of tapping stations on the platform itself so you don't accidentally tap on the GO tapping station instead would be nice.

Plus proper signs so you don't head to the wrong platform and miss your train over on the other side.