Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4180 posts
692 upvotes
thisismyid wrote:
May 28th, 2016 7:29 pm
I think it should be the other way around , first you need to have something to offer so outsiders want to do business with you, then you build the infrastructure to facilitate - otherwise it would've been just like Kim K , no matter how rich and famous she gets, she is still only known for that sex tape and her attention- wh0r€-ness
Development has to go both ways. Infrastructure won't rise if there is no incentive. And there's no incentive if the infrastructure is crap.

Having good infrastructure does indeed improve quality of life, especially transportation. Imagine if citizens didn't spend 1 hour + to commute one way to work/home. People would have more time to enjoy their lives. The chain effects are small if I list individually but large if combined.
-More attractive to tourists. I think one serious flaw of traveling in Canada is that everything is far away. Niagara falls? 1 hour + drive. Algonquin park? 3 hour + drive. Banff? Get off at Calgary airport and spend another half day driving
-Less driving means less carbon foot print, less traffic accidents. People save money on gas (or not drive at all and save on insurance/maintenance etc)
-Improve access to employment for many people where commute times make things not feasible
-Increase worker productivity (deliveries more on time, workers not as likely to be late)
-Reducing travel time gives more time for people to spend with families and friends instead of being stuck in traffic.

Many people agree that Toronto has very poor transit system. It's easy to agree when customer service is made terrible by people with union mentality, who are also overpaid. In HK the bus drivers are like rowdy peasants with no education but at least the fare is dirt cheap and very efficient. In Toronto we are bombarded by endless signal problems, and the occasional worker's attitude. We know the union definitely has some blame, and that we could use more funding. So it's just a matter of DOING IT.

I'm glad the UPX was made. It's a step in the right direction. Was it executed well? Not really. But the problems are solvable.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
I used up for the first time a few weeks back. It is fine....nothing special. I have 2 complaints...

1) the UP platform is too far from the GO platforms. Had to walk halfway to the Dome to get it...took longer to go from Go Train to UP than my trip on the GO train

2) on the way to Pearson it was fine. On the way back it was crowded. I had to sit on fold up seats and there was no where to put my luggage.
Jun 5, 2015
871 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Have used UPX about 4 -5 times last year , each time was around 45-50 minutes, starting from the moment I got on subway, then to union station, UPX station, and YYZ.

Last Saturday I had a friend staying near the airport for a connection the next day, so I went to visit, and decided to just take TTC to re-confirm my past claim that UPX wasn't much faster for me than Subway+192, which had been accused by some people of lying.

So I got on subway at 3:55 at Dundas square station, changed line at bloor station around 4, arrived at Kipling around 4:20ish, took the 192 express, and arrived at YYZ at 4:45 , just before my friend walked out of baggage claim area - the whole trip took 50 minutes.

And after I met my friend and had dinner with him, I took the hotel shuttle back to the airport, and took 192+subway home, and it took a couple of minutes less than my earlier trip

Since this was a weekend and subway wasn't terribly crowded, if I had to travel on a weekday I would still use UPX just for the peace of mind
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26255 posts
6081 upvotes
GTHA
Transportation minister can't say how much UP Express will cost taxpayers
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/09/tr ... -taxpayers
A year after the government slashed UP Express fares in a bid to bolster tanking ridership, Liberal Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca still can’t say how much taxpayers will have to fork over to subsidize the money-losing train.

Del Duca said Thursday that it was a day to “celebrate” because a year after the fare dropped from $27.50 to $12 the air-rail link now has 9,000 riders a day. The train, which covers a route between Union Station and Pearson International Airport, launched June 6, 2015, with the target of attracting 5,000 riders a day within a year. The service was promised to break even three to five years after launch and that would require around 7,000 riders a day with the one-way fares set at $27.50.

Continued...
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9185 posts
270 upvotes
thisismyid wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 10:39 am
Have used UPX about 4 -5 times last year , each time was around 45-50 minutes, starting from the moment I got on subway, then to union station, UPX station, and YYZ.

Last Saturday I had a friend staying near the airport for a connection the next day, so I went to visit, and decided to just take TTC to re-confirm my past claim that UPX wasn't much faster for me than Subway+192, which had been accused by some people of lying.

So I got on subway at 3:55 at Dundas square station, changed line at bloor station around 4, arrived at Kipling around 4:20ish, took the 192 express, and arrived at YYZ at 4:45 , just before my friend walked out of baggage claim area - the whole trip took 50 minutes.

And after I met my friend and had dinner with him, I took the hotel shuttle back to the airport, and took 192+subway home, and it took a couple of minutes less than my earlier trip

Since this was a weekend and subway wasn't terribly crowded, if I had to travel on a weekday I would still use UPX just for the peace of mind
Yea I think the benefits are when you have to travel during rush hour. Off-peak times, I think I prefer taking an Uber to UPX
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1228 posts
323 upvotes
But the Toronto-London-Windsor high speed rail will surely be done right, right?
Banned
May 25, 2017
15 posts
notfromqc wrote:
May 27th, 2017 12:04 am
But the Toronto-London-Windsor high speed rail will surely be done right, right?
will be a $ 20 Billion White Elephant, just like this UP Express is a $ 0.5 Billion Pink Elephant.

Canada neither has the population density, nor the weather, nor the money for such wastage of taxpayer's $$$$
Oct 25, 2007
216 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know what the subsidy covers?

Does it represent additional costs taxpayers need to pay to cover only operating or variable costs?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1023 posts
775 upvotes
They should have hired Siemens engineers and planners to do the job.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26255 posts
6081 upvotes
GTHA
nator86 wrote:
May 27th, 2017 9:10 am
Anyone know what the subsidy covers?

Does it represent additional costs taxpayers need to pay to cover only operating or variable costs?
Operating costs...

The province is subsidizing rides on the Union Pearson Express (UPX) at much lower levels than it did last year, but it still costs the public about $11 every time a passenger boards the controversial air-rail link.

According to figures that will be presented at the Metrolinx board on Wednesday, it cost the provincial government $62.8 million to operate the train between Union Station and Pearson Airport during the fiscal year that ran from April 2016 to March 2017.

Over the same period, 2.76 million people rode the service. With revenues from fares and other sources totaling $32.4 million, the government provided a subsidy of $30.4 million, or about $11 per rider.

from http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/20 ... -pays.html