Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6127 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 11:12 pm
Operating costs...

The province is subsidizing rides on the Union Pearson Express (UPX) at much lower levels than it did last year, but it still costs the public about $11 every time a passenger boards the controversial air-rail link.

According to figures that will be presented at the Metrolinx board on Wednesday, it cost the provincial government $62.8 million to operate the train between Union Station and Pearson Airport during the fiscal year that ran from April 2016 to March 2017.

Over the same period, 2.76 million people rode the service. With revenues from fares and other sources totaling $32.4 million, the government provided a subsidy of $30.4 million, or about $11 per rider.

from http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/20 ... -pays.html
what a joke. they need to make this part of the TTC loop.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 12:26 am
what a joke. they need to make this part of the TTC loop.
So you think the solution to already losing $11 a rider is to what, let someone who paid $3 get on a $9 premium train....

I think Doug Ford's mayoral team is looking for a finance controller, I think they would short list you with this math.

For what it's worth I have a few business traveller friends that love UP and yes they fully can expense an airport taxi/limo.

I need to get from downtown to airport in the next couple of weeks. I'll end up paying more for uber to union than UP and am still happy to do it for predictable arrival time.

If anything there should be a reasonable combo TTC/UP ticket. Besides if you are headed to the airport during rush hour, how budget conscience are you really? Usually travelling for work or pleasure, in any case the extra peso shouldn't matter too much. However I travel solo mostly or meet friends at airport. Otherwise I uber, you can uber from most spots downtown when the Gardiner is moving (and many times it is for $30 ish)
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
171 posts
35 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 12:49 am
So you think the solution to already losing $11 a rider is to what, let someone who paid $3 get on a $9 premium train....

I think Doug Ford's mayoral team is looking for a finance controller, I think they would short list you with this math.

For what it's worth I have a few business traveller friends that love UP and yes they fully can expense an airport taxi/limo.

I need to get from downtown to airport in the next couple of weeks. I'll end up paying more for uber to union than UP and am still happy to do it for predictable arrival time.

If anything there should be a reasonable combo TTC/UP ticket. Besides if you are headed to the airport during rush hour, how budget conscience are you really? Usually travelling for work or pleasure, in any case the extra peso shouldn't matter too much. However I travel solo mostly or meet friends at airport. Otherwise I uber, you can uber from most spots downtown when the Gardiner is moving (and many times it is for $30 ish)
They should connect the dundas stations like they said they were going to, union's already connected, then all what's left is build two more stations between dundas and union station and convert this disaster train into a TTC subway. Before you start screaming that a TTC subway is longer than the UPX this can be solved by using the cartless subway trains and opening the doors where there is a platform. Knowing how congested the subway is during rush hour, this new "downtown relief line" would be a major hit.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2470 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
These idiotic planners need to operate these services profitably. No wonder that people weren't buying $28 tickets...it's cheaper to drive or take an uber at that price. The government got taken for a ride as usual. They need to cut operating costs across the board. Whatever it takes to run this thing in the black with the current fare. They should also consider boosting the fare to $15 a person...I think that's the price point where riders look at other options
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6767 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I think they need to look at variable pricing like peak and off peak pricing.
This thing runs quite frequently.
during peak seats are full but off peak it's shameful to be running it so empty.
Maybe also look at a reduced fare rate for those transferring from other transit systems.
I remember when GO train riders From Bramalea GO station paid 50 cents to ride Brampton Transit.
Maybe even incorporate it into the GTA pass.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 2:02 pm
These idiotic planners need to operate these services profitably. No wonder that people weren't buying $28 tickets...it's cheaper to drive or take an uber at that price. The government got taken for a ride as usual. They need to cut operating costs across the board. Whatever it takes to run this thing in the black with the current fare. They should also consider boosting the fare to $15 a person...I think that's the price point where riders look at other options
lol almost all public transit doesn't operate with a profit. If you expect public transit to operate with a profit, roads should operate with a profit as well. I agree that things could be done to reduce operating costs though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
blaznazn22 wrote: These idiotic planners need to operate these services profitably. No wonder that people weren't buying $28 tickets...it's cheaper to drive or take an uber at that price. The government got taken for a ride as usual. They need to cut operating costs across the board. Whatever it takes to run this thing in the black with the current fare. They should also consider boosting the fare to $15 a person...I think that's the price point where riders look at other options
Assuming you are a solo traveller you'd be very lucky to get to Pearson for $28 when the highways are dead. I take uber from east downtown for early morning USA flights where UP isn't running and it's $30+

$9 is a bargain. I usually spend more getting to union with uber then the fare.

Predictability in arrival time has value. That said I fly the island if ever possible (often dinging my company for more but I just don't care ) maybe not In winter as Pearson is more reliable
Jun 5, 2015
871 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GangStarr wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 4:40 pm
Assuming you are a solo traveller you'd be very lucky to get to Pearson for $28 when the highways are dead. I take uber from east downtown for early morning USA flights where UP isn't running and it's $30+

$9 is a bargain. I usually spend more getting to union with uber then the fare.

Predictability in arrival time has value. That said I fly the island if ever possible (often dinging my company for more but I just don't care ) maybe not In winter as Pearson is more reliable
You can take subway + 192 bus, also pretty predictable and only costs $3, and my experience has been great, only about 5-10 minutes longer than UP - but that’s because I would need to take subway to union first in order to get on UP
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2470 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 4:26 pm
lol almost all public transit doesn't operate with a profit. If you expect public transit to operate with a profit, roads should operate with a profit as well. I agree that things could be done to reduce operating costs though.
Of course ttc should be run with a profit motive. Cut costs across the board, and run these services with a profit mentality. Why the hell would they run it at a loss?? That's unsustainable in the long run. TTC fares need to go up in order to reflect the cost of running the service. Otherwise ttc needs to fire some workers, cut buses and whatever else.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 8:29 pm
Of course ttc should be run with a profit motive. Cut costs across the board, and run these services with a profit mentality. Why the hell would they run it at a loss?? That's unsustainable in the long run. TTC fares need to go up in order to reflect the cost of running the service. Otherwise ttc needs to fire some workers, cut buses and whatever else.
psst. This is Canada. anything run on back of taxpayers is make profit for union workers. Taxpayers only get massive bills and loss.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 8:29 pm
Of course ttc should be run with a profit motive. Cut costs across the board, and run these services with a profit mentality. Why the hell would they run it at a loss??
Because the TTC provides positive externalities which makes it worth it to subsidize it, and almost every single transit system in the world is subsidized for this reason.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6767 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 10:56 pm
Because the TTC provides positive externalities which makes it worth it to subsidize it, and almost every single transit system in the world is subsidized for this reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_service

Let's not forget off course that although a fare is paid, public transit is still essentially a public service very much like Police,Fire Services etc.

Especially when the government does not facilitate similar privately owned options that are just as affordable eg Maxi Taxi's in the Caribbean.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
thisismyid wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 6:04 pm
You can take subway + 192 bus, also pretty predictable and only costs $3, and my experience has been great, only about 5-10 minutes longer than UP - but that’s because I would need to take subway to union first in order to get on UP
For early morning flights to the USA the subway starts running around 6 am, UP express starts at 5:30 am and is simply more reliable. Even if timing wasn't the issues, consistency is. As a solo business traveller I can uber to Pearson for around $30-$40 (these days I just don't even understand how uber prices their trips) flat rate taxi is around $50.

If anything we should be dinging business travellers significantly harder for prime times and in prime directions. I can get to the airport from downtown in 20-30 min reliably FROM downtown at 7-9am, however getting TO downtown from 7-9 am would take very long in a taxi. Sure it's flat rate but if you care about time and most business workers especially same day travellers do, the UP express should certainly carry a premium.

When I travel for business I don't pay personally, but we do have an internal culture of being cost effective during our business travels to a reasonable extent of course (save the per diem for wine)

Anyone who has done day trips to centreville montreal know the pain of getting to YUL around 4 or 5 pm. Ughh no thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1470 posts
444 upvotes
They should directly tax each airline that uses Pearson, a tax that goes directly towards this service. Then it's problem solved since a large part the cost of this service is now hidden inside your airfare.