Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4681 posts
420 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:44 am
They should directly tax each airline that uses Pearson, a tax that goes directly towards this service. Then it's problem solved since a large part the cost of this service is now hidden inside your airfare.
None of the cost of UP is in airfares, it's in general revenues. And since I don't use or want to use UP since I don't live in Toronto I don't need another tax to subsidise a service that was only bought in because of the stupid Pan Am games
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:25 am
For early morning flights to the USA the subway starts running around 6 am, UP express starts at 5:30 am and is simply more reliable. Even if timing wasn't the issues, consistency is. As a solo business traveller I can uber to Pearson for around $30-$40 (these days I just don't even understand how uber prices their trips) flat rate taxi is around $50.
For early flights, I actually prefer the TTC 300 night bus since it gives me a 1 seat ride from Bloor-Yonge to Terminal 3. If I took the UP Express instead I'd need to find a way to Union, walk all the way to the UP Express platform, take the UP Express, and then take the people mover to Terminal 3. The TTC is always more convenient for me living at Bloor-Yonge.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:44 am
They should directly tax each airline that uses Pearson, a tax that goes directly towards this service. Then it's problem solved since a large part the cost of this service is now hidden inside your airfare.
What? You tax them and they increase the prices. Airlines always have simple solutions. Raise the prices.
Like raise the taxes like Liberals. sorry couldn't resist.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 8:02 am
For early flights, I actually prefer the TTC 300 night bus since it gives me a 1 seat ride from Bloor-Yonge to Terminal 3. If I took the UP Express instead I'd need to find a way to Union, walk all the way to the UP Express platform, take the UP Express, and then take the people mover to Terminal 3. The TTC is always more convenient for me living at Bloor-Yonge.
You can catch UP from Bloor GO at Bloor & Dundas instead of Union.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 5:31 pm
You can catch UP from Bloor GO at Bloor & Dundas instead of Union.
Have you done the walk between Bloor GO and Dundas West Station? Not fun at all with luggage. Its way easier to just go to Kipling.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26248 posts
6080 upvotes
GTHA
UP Express ridership on the up, more using it for daily commute
When it first launched in 2015, the UP Express was widely criticized and suffered from low ridership, but Metrolinx says the number of users has substantially increased. Amanda Ferguson with how well the rail link serves the daily commuter's needs.

Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 6:34 pm
Have you done the walk between Bloor GO and Dundas West Station? Not fun at all with luggage. Its way easier to just go to Kipling.
It’s not that bad, but acknowledge that there are different standards of laziness in the world.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19271 posts
1431 upvotes
I work downtown near the Eaton Centre and take the GO at Union to go home....

The UP express is very convenient for folks that work downtown\or live downtown and need to get to Pearson quickly. It was great for me to catch an evening flight to Paris - I was able to leave straight from work to get to Pearson.

However, as previous posters mentioned - it isn't for everyone. The trek from Union Station to the UP Express platform is probably a good 10min walk and if you have a lot of luggage, it is a bit challenging. And especially if you are at Union during the rush home....it is a mad zoo during the rush hour....

Also great if you are PRESTO user - I think you get a discount for using a PRESTO card...