Sports & Recreation

The United Bid of Canada, Mexico, and the United States was selected to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup™

Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7104 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
So each city gets 3 exhibition games? Why does the US get so many and travel must suck for the players.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3469 posts
381 upvotes
Wow! I didn't know the announcement was today. I was just thinking about this yesterday. Although it looks like only 3 cities in Canada will be hosting. I wonder if more than one games will be slotted for these 3 cities.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1544 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
heymikey wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:53 am
Wow! I didn't know the announcement was today. I was just thinking about this yesterday. Although it looks like only 3 cities in Canada will be hosting. I wonder if more than one games will be slotted for these 3 cities.
they said Toronto will get 10 games, now that could mean 10 crappy games, or 10 good games, no one knows at this time, they probably have years of paper work to work out the details and also results of matches played also determine the outcome of which teams play too, don't forget that
Hi
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10391 posts
3024 upvotes
Toronto
studentoflife wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:34 pm
We better start handing out citizenship to soccer players lol.

This is awesome news. I think hosting it in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver would be great.
Vancouver opted out, so they won't get games.

Edmonton will as well as Toronto and Montreal.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2015
1231 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:14 am
they said Toronto will get 10 games, now that could mean 10 crappy games, or 10 good games, no one knows at this time, they probably have years of paper work to work out the details and also results of matches played also determine the outcome of which teams play too, don't forget that
If one of those games Italy was to play in Toronto, then best time of day to go shopping at Vaughan mills! It will be empty.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5529 posts
1224 upvotes
Mississauga
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:14 am
That is incorrect!
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1544 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
kenchau wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:29 pm
That is incorrect!
well the guy on the radio was incorrect, I was just repeating what the broadcast stated. don't shoot the messager
Hi
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:59 pm
So from what I read...

48 teams:
AFC (Asia) – 8
Caf (Africa) – 9
Concacaf (North and Central America) – 6 (Canada, USA, and Mexico auto-qualify)
Conmebol (South America) – 6
OFC (Oceania) – 1
Uefa (Europe) – 16
Final 2 spots are determined by a mini-tourney.

16 divisions of 3 teams each. Every team plays only 2 games and the top 2 advance.
32 remaining teams go into single elimination. The team that wins 5 straight wins the World Cup.

Total games: 80
links?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10497 posts
1220 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:10 pm
links?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

So in this article, they state that Canada will only get 10 games. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ll-it-work

They also stated that there are 23 stadiums (17 USA, 3 Canada, 3 Mexico), but didn't mention that in 3 years those stadiums will get whittled down to the final numbers of 10 USA, 3 Canada, 3 Mexico. How they divide the games is not a sure thing until they finalize all the stadiums. How many games Canada gets won't be confirmed for at least a few years from now.

Personally, I think a 50/15/15 split for games between nations makes more sense. It would be a perfect 5 games per stadium. Each stadium hosts all games for 1 group (3 games) + 2 elimination games. So hopefully, Canada gets 15 instead of 10 games.
Mar 6, 2015
329 posts
20 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 4:26 pm
Where can enthusiasts voice their ideas about which teams playing on Canadian soil?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10497 posts
1220 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 6:32 pm
Where can enthusiasts voice their ideas about which teams playing on Canadian soil?
It's all just wishful thinking and speculation right now.

In past world Cups, the groups were decided by "mostly" random draw. With 8 groups of 4 teams, they put the host team with the 7 top seeds in pot 1. Then the rest of the teams were put in pots 2,3 and 4. For 2018 World Cup the team rank determined which pot they were put in. Then randomly 1 team was selected from each pot to form a Group with some rules like you can't have more than 3 EUFA teams together in the same group. For the 2026 World Cup who knows if they use a similar system or come up with something completely different.

The draw is done roughly 6 months before the World Cup, so we really won't know where teams will play until late 2025. Besides, the host countries get to play at home.