Hot Deals

[United.ca] & Air Canada: CDN Cities to Taipei From $521 CDN RT, Stopover in Tokyo: an Extra $120 CDN. Dates: OCT-MAY & AUG

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 8:58 am
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2553 posts
469 upvotes
GTA
Revvd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:34 am
The hidden secret in my opinion for Taiwan (especially Taipei) is not to eat chinese food..its to eat Japanese food.

This is especially relevant if you are travelling from a place with great chinese food already (e.g. Toronto or Vancouver). Toronto/ Vancouver's chinese food is arguably the same if not better for certain types of chinese food (e.g. Cantonese cuisine), thus I prefer to spend my vacation dollars on the Japanese food in Taiwan since Toronto Japanese food is sub-par at best. Taiwan was a Japanese colony for 50 years, so a lot of the Japanese culture has been embedded in the Taiwan life. There's a huge Japanese ex-pat community in Taipei, so there is demand for high quality Japanese food. Essentially you get Japan level quality food for 30% less.

Try the following restaurants while in Taipei:
  • Kanpai (Yakiniku - grilled meats)
  • Manjedad (Chirashi - Sashimi on rice)
  • Host Shabu (Shabu-Shabu - japanese hotpot)
So wrong, so wrong, how do I downvote ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7148 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
flaming homer wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:22 am
Leaving from major Canadian cities (YYZ) you would clear US customs BEFORE loading your luggage at the airport, meaning you don't drop off your bags with the airlines until you've cleared US pre-clearance in Toronto

Food isn't good in Taiwan.... hah what a joker...
How about on the way back? There's a layover in US, so I assume i'll have to pick up my luggage, go through US customs, drop off luggage, and then do the same for Canadian customs when i enter YYZ.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10753 posts
204 upvotes
Ottawa
trixR4kids wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:01 am
How about on the way back? There's a layover in US, so I assume i'll have to pick up my luggage, go through US customs, drop off luggage, and then do the same for Canadian customs when i enter YYZ.
Yes; very easy with GE, and even if you don't it normally doesn't add on a huge amount of time (~5-60 mins).
- Absolute
Sep 23, 2003
492 posts
156 upvotes
anyway to add hkg to the trip and get similar prices?
not sure how these works...
Dec 13, 2013
335 posts
161 upvotes
Whitby, ON
The flight I want to book to Tokyo has a 1.5 hour layover in Chicago. Is that long enough?
Sep 3, 2010
85 posts
50 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:40 am
Food is good but street food is not that great really when compared to elsewhere in Asia. The night markets are okay and of course you have the beef noodles, ding tai Fung etc...but you soon realize the variety is not that big compared to places like Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia etc for street food and really good restaurants are few compared to places like Japan

Taiwan is fun for a few days though and cheap
I can understand what you meant by food is not good. It's hard to foreigner's to visit the best restaurants without doing research and staying over just couple of days. Most of the shops and restaurants on streets are soso these days. Problem is that in the last 20 years, Taipei has become a city that always wants "new", 'fancy" with all commercialized items. Most of the good quality restaurant and street foods have closed down due to young generation lose interest on those places their parents takes them to since growing up. Also, lack of management and interest for next generation taking over those restaurant. It is still a place with very good food compared to other asian cities; it's just that you need to do some research as usual. If anyone of you decides to go Taipei and needs some pointers let me know :D
Nov 23, 2010
863 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
flaming homer wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:41 am
So wrong, so wrong, how do I downvote ?
I wouldnt go so far as to say wrong

Everyone has a different taste, wants etc - But I think we can all agree on one thing at least

Taiwan/Taipei has very yummy food

Though personally, if you want Japanese food and you havent been to Japan.....oh boy you dont know what your missing (Im going there in December for my third round of gluttony)
Feb 29, 2012
87 posts
11 upvotes
The example from Calgary is on NH/ANA
You get a comparable price going to Singapore as well returning from Taiwan.
K class on AC/UA/NH
Feb 29, 2012
87 posts
11 upvotes
TheSpottedBanana wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:56 am
The flight I want to book to Tokyo has a 1.5 hour layover in Chicago. Is that long enough?
Yes, Canada flights to the USA are just like domestic flights (i.e. no different flying YYZ-ORD-NRT than LGA-ORD-NRT, no CBP/immigration as you preclear in YYZ)
I have more experience living in AB going through SFO but you depart and arrive the same terminal (international) as well
Mar 13, 2018
964 posts
483 upvotes
cerealkiller wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:37 pm
I can understand what you meant by food is not good. It's hard to foreigner's to visit the best restaurants without doing research and staying over just couple of days. Most of the shops and restaurants on streets are soso these days. Problem is that in the last 20 years, Taipei has become a city that always wants "new", 'fancy" with all commercialized items. Most of the good quality restaurant and street foods have closed down due to young generation lose interest on those places their parents takes them to since growing up. Also, lack of management and interest for next generation taking over those restaurant. It is still a place with very good food compared to other asian cities; it's just that you need to do some research as usual. If anyone of you decides to go Taipei and needs some pointers let me know :D
I didn't say it wasn't good..just that it's actually not as good as many other places in Asia for street/cheap food (like Malaysia, Vietnam, etc). TBH, I find the night market food while fun, not really that good taste wise compared to say KL/Penang/Hanoi etc

And very few actually"good" places line in Japan. Not that it's end all, but really good restaurants like Michelin star ones are much more plentiful in Japan (not just Japanese cuisine)

Taiwan is however quite accessible from a price and navigation/getting around/communication perspective

Having a local helps in all places I would say especially in spread out places like KL etc
Nov 18, 2012
730 posts
304 upvotes
Longueuil
BiteSizeThumb wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:17 am
Agreed. Taiwan probably has the biggest and best street foods in the world. It's one of the reasons why major cities in North America have "night market" events now.
you havnt been to thailand have you?

I've lived most of my adult life in Thailand, i can't stand Taiwanese food. Can barely stand Canadian food as is..

My favorite restaurant in the world is actually in Taipei.. but its a small japanese tepanyaki restaurant. So not taiwanese food.

Japanese, tex mex and Thai food > anything except a really disgustingly good poutine.
Last edited by rkt1337 on Oct 12th, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45466 posts
11912 upvotes
rkt1337 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 7:59 am
Taipei is a really fun city for a short trip, public transport is great.

Recommend a lot, went a few times. Food isnt amazing but everything else is great and its pretty cheap.
what about wine, women and ...?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45466 posts
11912 upvotes
Anyone going there for the mooncake festival in February? I heard it's very festive and is quite a long holiday.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1174 posts
250 upvotes
Halton
interesting
looking through expedia they give the return flight to Toronto a 4/10 score (not even sure what that means)
anyone know if the hostels are family friendly there?

can't really afford the Ritz for the 5 of us!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1857 posts
862 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:13 pm
what about wine, women and ...?
Taipei is a good party city for the young ones

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)