• Feb 14th, 2018 8:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1145 posts
660 upvotes

United forces another passenger off...

...but this time I wouldn't totally blame United.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/busi ... -desk.html

I'm glad this lady wasn't dragged out by security... because if any passenger was likely to hold onto her seat and refuse to leave, it was her.

Lesson learned from all this, goes back to what I've said in other posts. Always book directly with the airline you're flying on. Going with a third party (no matter how good a deal you might get) is just asking for SNAFUs like this to ruin your vacation or much worse. Travel is stressful enough...

(Edited to add: no blame falls on the lady, she didn't make the original ticket purchase and did nothing wrong. But the lesson remains as to the risks taken by dealing with a 3rd party)
85 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7442 posts
2272 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Actually, I do blame United. United allowed both changes to occur without verifying either one (ie. allowing the initial change by the passenger rather than the ticketing service, and then the cancellation of the ticket by the 3rd party service due to a change that they allowed in the first place). If United was going to allow the first, then a note should have been put on the file stating that the verified passenger made the change and that information should have been relayed to the 3rd party ticketing service.

United was the 'gatekeeper' and they failed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1145 posts
660 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 12:38 am
United was the 'gatekeeper' and they failed.
No argument from me on that. But ultimately it was the 3rd party that cancelled the ticket (which goes back to why I say, avoid third parties).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7965 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
Avoid 3rd parties no matter what? That's yet another ridiculous blanket statement. Usually deals are to be had and it's not directly with the airlines. Anyway, I also blame UNited because they approved the change and now didn't hoNor it? Big joke and ridiculous if one Can't see blame goes to UNited, who gave assurances that it would be No prb.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1145 posts
660 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:04 am
Avoid 3rd parties no matter what? That's yet another ridiculous blanket statement. Usually deals are to be had and it's not directly with the airlines. Anyway, I also blame UNited because they approved the change and now didn't hoNor it? Big joke and ridiculous if one Can't see blame goes to UNited, who gave assurances that it would be No prb.
Bottom line is, if the original purchaser had booked directly through United none of this would have happened.
I stand by my original statement. Avoid third parties unless you want to expose yourself to hassles like this. Travel is stressful enough, why add more points of failure? Surely you can't dismiss that as "ridiculous". It's a blanket statement that will keep you out of trouble.
I prefer not to show up for my flight and find my ticket cancelled, or show up at my hotel and find my reservation disappeared (and no vacancy)...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7965 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:07 am
Bottom line is, if the original purchaser had booked directly through United none of this would have happened.
I stand by my original statement. Avoid third parties unless you want to expose yourself to hassles like this. Travel is stressful enough, why add more points of failure? Surely you can't dismiss that as "ridiculous". It's a blanket statement that will keep you out of trouble.
I prefer not to show up for my flight and find my ticket cancelled, or show up at my hotel and find my reservation disappeared (and no vacancy)...
Well, that's only Because changes were made here.... Usually that's not the case. So it's ridiculous IMO to make that blanket statement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1145 posts
660 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:15 am
Well, that's only Because changes were made here.... Usually that's not the case. So it's ridiculous IMO to make that blanket statement.
There's no denying the fact that had the original purchaser booked directly through United none of this would have happened.
Blanket statement holds true. Use third parties at your peril.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7965 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:19 am
There's no denying the fact that had the original purchaser booked directly through United none of this would have happened.
Blanket statement holds true. Use third parties at your peril.
You have shares in UNited? You forget this is RFD.... Doubtful anyone agrees with you on price alone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7442 posts
2272 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 12:49 am
No argument from me on that. But ultimately it was the 3rd party that cancelled the ticket (which goes back to why I say, avoid third parties).
To me, the 3rd party did a reasonable act as United should have provided the details of the initial change.

The same argument could have happened if you dealt directly with United on a family member or friend's ticket.

Example -

You purchased a ticket directly with United for X. X later decides to change the ticket but rather than troubling you for the change (seeing that you brought them the ticket in the first place), they call up United as it's an United ticket. United completes the changes for X in their system. Since it's getting close to the departure time, you decide to check on the status of the flight to ensure that X is going to be OKAY in checking in so you log into the United website. You notice that all of the arrangements you made have been changed from what you originally booked so you try to call X to see what's going on. You can't get a hold of X (as they have already boarded the plane). So, you assume as you haven't heard about any change in plans, you call United up to verify. At this point, if United wasn't able to confirm that it was X who requested the changes, I'm sure you would have done the same as the 3rd party... ie cancel the ticket as you didn't know who was using the ticket as you have limited information.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7965 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
I'm not too clear on the technicalities but the fact that the UNited employee gave assurances should've been the end of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6307 posts
1003 upvotes
Mississauga
You should change your thread header.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7217 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
yes obviously book with the airline if you can. We all get tempted by third party sites and a few bucks of savings. Mind you these third party sites often put together itineraries that airline websites won't do (particularly for longer multi flight trips trans continental)

I read the article and what boggles my mind is why this all happened if United made the change? Seems in the pecking order they should be on top. I suppose United made the change and for some reason this third party site decided to refund the ticket. Why did the ticket scan at the gate? Why did she get on the aircraft?

Very very strange scenario.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1145 posts
660 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:20 am
yes obviously book with the airline if you can. We all get tempted by third party sites and a few bucks of savings. Mind you these third party sites often put together itineraries that airline websites won't do (particularly for longer multi flight trips trans continental)

I read the article and what boggles my mind is why this all happened if United made the change? Seems in the pecking order they should be on top. I suppose United made the change and for some reason this third party site decided to refund the ticket. Why did the ticket scan at the gate? Why did she get on the aircraft?

Very very strange scenario.
Great points... how did she 1-check in and get a boarding pass 2-get on the plane, two events that probably happened an hour apart if that? Did that ticket cancellation happen AFTER she got on the plane so she had to be found inside and removed? If the ticket was cancelled while she was driving to the airport she wouldn't have gotten past step 1 there.
That being said, after what happened with that guy in Chicago, I am also surprised United didn't just let her fly (given her situation) and then go after that third party agent after. Did they really want another incident in the news?

As for third party, some would say if you have a multi-leg trip with different airlines, multiple stopovers, and multiple hotels you're better off finding an experienced bricks-and-mortar travel agent you deal with in person during the trip planning, who has your back while you're out in the field and who can fix things for you on the fly so you don't have to fight with airlines and hotels (as much). But third party to save a couple bucks on one airfare or hotel stay? Nope, I say suck it up, pay the extra couple bucks to book directly, avoid potential issues. Don't be "Penny wise pound foolish" as the expression goes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1145 posts
660 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:21 am
You have shares in UNited? You forget this is RFD.... Doubtful anyone agrees with you on price alone.
Penny wise and pound foolish... you might save a couple bucks but when things go wrong it could end up costing you much more than if you booked directly like I said.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3346 posts
505 upvotes
GTEH!
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:58 pm
...but this time I wouldn't totally blame United.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/busi ... -desk.html

I'm glad this lady wasn't dragged out by security... because if any passenger was likely to hold onto her seat and refuse to leave, it was her.

Lesson learned from all this, goes back to what I've said in other posts. Always book directly with the airline you're flying on. Going with a third party (no matter how good a deal you might get) is just asking for SNAFUs like this to ruin your vacation or much worse. Travel is stressful enough...

(Edited to add: no blame falls on the lady, she didn't make the original ticket purchase and did nothing wrong. But the lesson remains as to the risks taken by dealing with a 3rd party)
Very sad incident, women going to see dying mother and airline removes her from the plane because of a tickeing mixup.
I would hope Airline employees would have some flexibility in this type of death situation. But it doesn't sound like it.
😎