Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
Webhead wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:12 pm
Very sad incident, women going to see dying mother and airline removes her from the plane because of a tickeing mixup.
I would hope Airline employees would have some flexibility in this type of death situation. But it doesn't sound like it.
Maybe there should be a law (let's call it the Dao/Amrich Act) where you cannot remove a passenger from a flight once their valid boarding pass was successfully scanned at the gate, other than for criminal reasons (physical assault, smoking, verbally abusing the crew or other pax, etc -- that pushy family in another thread insisting others move for their benefit, would qualify for ejection in my opinion). That way the onus is on the airline to stop a passenger before that point by not issuing a boarding pass at the check-in process, not scanning the boarding pass in order to deny entry at that point (the wiseguy in Iceland...), or the boarding pass comes up invalid at the gate and the pax is refused entry that way.

Then neither of these incidents would have happened. Under such a law, Dao would have had to be bumped from the flight at the gate, and Amrich would not have been able to get a boarding pass (giving her enough time to maybe straighten it out with the landlord?)

As much as we all want to pour on the hate on United, what could the gate agent do? She was ordered to remove a pax whose ticket had been cancelled. That's all she had to go on. She needs to be reprimanded for the "nobody flies for free" comment, but I'm sure she's met every wiseguy/fare cheat/RFD'er/scammer and heard every sob story out there so it's hard to blame her for treating this one any differently, even though this was one time she would be wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 12:21 pm
Penny wise and pound foolish... you might save a couple bucks but when things go wrong it could end up costing you much more than if you booked directly like I said.
It's not penny wise, the diff is quite a bit and I never change my plans so won't have this prb. I think your blanket statements are quite ridiculous,as evidenced in your other silly thread. Again, UNited approved and assured the changes were ok and even let her on the plane, little to do with 3rd party.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:26 pm
It's not penny wise, the diff is quite a bit and I never change my plans so won't have this prb. I think your blanket statements are quite ridiculous,as evidenced in your other silly thread. Again, UNited approved and assured the changes were ok and even let her on the plane, little to do with 3rd party.
This article explains the "comedy of errors" that led to the tragic result:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... ed-flight/

The comments under it are worth a read too, with more than a few people repeating what I've said all along -- AVOID THIRD PARTIES WHEN TRAVELLING, AVOID HASSLES. Simple as that, full stop.
Had the landlord bought her ticket directly thru United, we'd never have heard of them and she'd have made it to that hospital in time.

Which other "silly thread" are you referring to? I never have trouble when I travel. Why? Because I don't use third parties and I don't do business with joke airlines. Advice that those who aren't "pound foolish" will follow.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:30 pm
This article explains the "comedy of errors" that led to the tragic result:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... ed-flight/

The comments under it are worth a read too, with more than a few people repeating what I've said all along -- AVOID THIRD PARTIES WHEN TRAVELLING, AVOID HASSLES. Simple as that, full stop.
Had the landlord bought her ticket directly thru United, we'd never have heard of them and she'd have made it to that hospital in time.

Which other "silly thread" are you referring to? I never have trouble when I travel. Why? Because I don't use third parties and I don't do business with joke airlines. Advice that those who aren't "pound foolish" will follow.
Won't be Bothered w your liNk because obviously you ppl missed the very essenSe of the pt, I.e. all the changes were approved by and assured by UNited there would be NO PRB EXPLICITLY, now they suddenly turn around and kick her off the plane? How are they not blameless? Little to do w 3rd party. Again, I have no prb buying wherever as long as it's a reputable site but chances are other sites will be cheaper vs the airlines and I never change my plans so won't have this prb.

Your blanket statements are just silly nonsense, much like your 'never buy Chinese' thread where you got duly owned haha.
Jan 8, 2012
362 posts
117 upvotes
Williams Lake
I generally book with the airlines directly, for the reasons stated.

But if the savings are there, I'll use a third party booker.

I've used Flighthub a couple of times, with no problems.

There is an increased risk of things going irrevocably pear-shaped, but sometimes that risk is worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:46 pm
Your blanket statements are just silly nonsense, much like your 'never buy Chinese' thread where you got duly owned haha.
If given the choice between being stranded far from home (either by a crappy Chinese vehicle, a joke airline, or an error by a third party travel agent) and being "owned" on a useless RFD thread, I know what I'd choose. And it's clear what you'd choose. I hope you have your CAA membership and your travel insurance up to date, wiseguy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 7:19 pm
If given the choice between being stranded far from home (either by a crappy Chinese vehicle, a joke airline, or an error by a third party travel agent) and being "owned" on a useless RFD thread, I know what I'd choose. And it's clear what you'd choose. I hope you have your CAA membership and your travel insurance up to date, wiseguy.
Listen, dude, if the price is virtually the same, yes, buy directly from the airline. However, if there's like 25% difference in savings, why would you pay More? I've never had prbs but I go with reputable 3rd parties. Stop being dramatic w the stranded thing, if you don't make weird changes, you'd be fine.

If you did a poll here, you'd definitely lose.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1282 posts
430 upvotes
New York City
I travel more than 99% of folks, and will always book directly with the airlines.

Why are folks blaming United? Did they actually read the entire article? The 3rd party cancelled the ticket, they dropped the ball. It’s always easy to blame the big bad corporation. This is coming from a person that refuses to fly on United. I vote with my wallet even if it’s not the cheapest option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 7:29 pm
Listen, dude, if the price is virtually the same, yes, buy directly from the airline. However, if there's like 25% difference in savings, why would you pay More? I've never had prbs but I go with reputable 3rd parties. Stop being dramatic w the stranded thing, if you don't make weird changes, you'd be fine.

If you did a poll here, you'd definitely lose.
If given the choice between being stranded far from home (either by a crappy Chinese vehicle, a joke airline, or an error by a third party travel agent) and winning your poll, I know what I'd choose. And it's clear what you'd choose. I hope you have your CAA membership and your travel insurance up to date, wiseguy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:22 pm
I vote with my wallet even if it’s not the cheapest option.
Exactly. I similarly vote with my wallet by refusing to fly with joke airlines, not using third party agencies to book flights and hotels, and when they come up for sale, not buying 100% Chinese designed and built cars (until Consumer Reports rates one as a buy... that'll take 20 years I'm sure, Chinese aren't perfectionists like the Japanese and Germans).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
At least you relented from 'never' to 'maybe'. So much for your position.

Enough w the hyperboles and reiterating nonsense, no one's silly enough to do what you propose. Just go w reputable biz and everything's fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7431 posts
2258 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
McKinsey wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:22 pm
I travel more than 99% of folks, and will always book directly with the airlines.

Why are folks blaming United? Did they actually read the entire article? The 3rd party cancelled the ticket, they dropped the ball. It’s always easy to blame the big bad corporation. This is coming from a person that refuses to fly on United. I vote with my wallet even if it’s not the cheapest option.
How was the 3rd party supposed to know what the traveller was doing? United was the gatekeeper for both transactions and they allowed both to happen. Don't you think it would have been a good idea for United to either tell the traveller to talk to the 3rd party OR tell the 3rd party to talk to the traveller before the transaction happened?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
craftsman wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 10:59 pm
How was the 3rd party supposed to know what the traveller was doing? United was the gatekeeper for both transactions and they allowed both to happen. Don't you think it would have been a good idea for United to either tell the traveller to talk to the 3rd party OR tell the 3rd party to talk to the traveller before the transaction happened?
Also, when the landlord EXPLICITLY voiced her concern about this exact issue, then United said it was ok....how are they not accountable?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:56 pm
Just go w reputable biz and everything's fine.
You're going to tell me Transat, Sunwing, and Geely are "reputable biz" now? I think I'll pass...
(no need to convince me to avoid United... 2 bad incidents involving ejections in less than a year? I'd rather not risk being the next one...)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 11:29 pm
You're going to tell me Transat, Sunwing, and Geely are "reputable biz" now? I think I'll pass...
(no need to convince me to avoid United... 2 bad incidents involving ejections in less than a year? I'd rather not risk being the next one...)
Where did I advocate tHoSe brands???? If you wanna debate at least have *some* semblance of logic.

Too young and sometimes naive.