United forces another passenger off...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 8:45 pm
Tags:
Nov 8, 2017
459 posts
169 upvotes
Trains, Planes, and Automobiles
I deal direct with no middle man...just how I roll.

Different strokes for different folks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7247 posts
506 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 7:19 pm
If given the choice between being stranded far from home (either by a crappy Chinese vehicle, a joke airline, or an error by a third party travel agent) and being "owned" on a useless RFD thread, I know what I'd choose. And it's clear what you'd choose. I hope you have your CAA membership and your travel insurance up to date, wiseguy.
McKinsey wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:22 pm
I travel more than 99% of folks, and will always book directly with the airlines.

Why are folks blaming United? Did they actually read the entire article? The 3rd party cancelled the ticket, they dropped the ball. It’s always easy to blame the big bad corporation. This is coming from a person that refuses to fly on United. I vote with my wallet even if it’s not the cheapest option.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:30 pm
This article explains the "comedy of errors" that led to the tragic result:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... ed-flight/

The comments under it are worth a read too, with more than a few people repeating what I've said all along -- AVOID THIRD PARTIES WHEN TRAVELLING, AVOID HASSLES. Simple as that, full stop.
Had the landlord bought her ticket directly thru United, we'd never have heard of them and she'd have made it to that hospital in time.

Which other "silly thread" are you referring to? I never have trouble when I travel. Why? Because I don't use third parties and I don't do business with joke airlines. Advice that those who aren't "pound foolish" will follow.
You use the example of being stuck far from home and having to rely on 3rd party agent. Correct me if I am wrong, however my understanding was before your first leg on a flight if booked via a 3rd party you call the third party who has their own internal number to the airline and acts as a buffer to speak with the airline. If you were to call the airline and give them your PNR number they would refuse to help you teling you to call the 3rd party.

My understanding is once you are on your first plane, should something happen (weather delays, airport shut downs, strikes) you can now speak with the airline in the same capacity as someone who booked directly with the airline.

I've had two examples where I booked via 3rd party but the airline "assumed" my reservation and let me speak with them directly. There was that whole Etihad price mistake back around xmas 2015 ( or 2014) booked on priceline or something. Etihad took over my ticket and there was no issue.

We all get it, book on the airlines website, but as I said before, for complex itineraries, you simply cant. Maybe with an agent but you won't get the same price.

Also I find deaing with these 3rd party resellers to be acceptable. I had to deal with a bunch of changes with FlightHub when ANA started moving their flights from NRT to HND. The experience was certainly not great, but I guess it depends how used to dealing with offshore call centers. I find agents in the Philippines and Indian to be acceptable, just don't expect sympathy for whining. They'll call the airline and make the changes.

That said I wouldn't use any 3rd party that isn't affiliated with TICO (speaking from Ontario POV).

Something went very wrong here. If United wants to make the change, they are the airline. I'm thinking that 3rd party site cancelled the ticket, sending some sort of automatic cancellation notice to United.

How this all happened while the passenger is in their seat is what still isn't clear to me.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12593 posts
2216 upvotes
London
Don’t the majority of business travellers have to book via their corporate travel agency rather than directly with the airlines?

At my old workplaces, it was mandatory to use the designated corporate travel agency for arranging travel. They propose itineraries that falls with in the company’s travel policies that we were required to select from. We would never book directly with the airlines even if we wanted to.

I had the impression that this is the standard arrangement for most corporate travellers?

As posted above, prior to check in, we deal with the corporate travel agency for changes. The airlines would refer us back to the corporate travel agency for changes prior to the first check in. After check in for the first leg, we can deal with the airline for minor things like cancelled or delayed flights. The airline “takes over the reservation “
Last edited by l69norm on Jan 28th, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1395 posts
484 upvotes
New York City
craftsman wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 10:59 pm
How was the 3rd party supposed to know what the traveller was doing? United was the gatekeeper for both transactions and they allowed both to happen. Don't you think it would have been a good idea for United to either tell the traveller to talk to the 3rd party OR tell the 3rd party to talk to the traveller before the transaction happened?
You’d be surprised what you see in the back end on the business processes and rules implemented in a system.

I use an agent myself, nothing stops me from calling them to cancel my ticket myself.

Here is my analysis based on the limited information:
-traveler asked landlord to book a ticket
-landlord used a 3rd party
-neither are exactly savyy travelers
-traveler asked United to make a change
-United comply rather than tell them to go F themselves and call the 3rd party as they should have
-After the “change”, this triggered an alert in the 3rd party’s system
-I would hope that the 3rd party would have tried to contact the traveler or landlord by phone during that time
-Their system cancelled the ticket as a fraud prevention method
-This is updates real-time in the system which now the traveler no longer has a “coupon” for the flight

At the end of the day, vote with your wallet. You can avoid United like me, even if they are several hundreds cheaper than AC for example. After the David Dao incident, United’s revenue increased as well as their stock.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28313 posts
1994 upvotes
Winnipeg
Webhead wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:12 pm
Very sad incident, women going to see dying mother and airline removes her from the plane because of a tickeing mixup.
I would hope Airline employees would have some flexibility in this type of death situation. But it doesn't sound like it.
the airplane was about to take off and ticket gets cancelled, no one have time to figure out anything except to do this, i find it quite troubling that a ticket can be cancelled by a 3rd party at this stage.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28313 posts
1994 upvotes
Winnipeg
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:30 pm
This article explains the "comedy of errors" that led to the tragic result:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... ed-flight/

The comments under it are worth a read too, with more than a few people repeating what I've said all along -- AVOID THIRD PARTIES WHEN TRAVELLING, AVOID HASSLES. Simple as that, full stop.
Had the landlord bought her ticket directly thru United, we'd never have heard of them and she'd have made it to that hospital in time.

Which other "silly thread" are you referring to? I never have trouble when I travel. Why? Because I don't use third parties and I don't do business with joke airlines. Advice that those who aren't "pound foolish" will follow.
i too book directly with the airline, however the 1 one i booked via 3rd party it was fine.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28313 posts
1994 upvotes
Winnipeg
wudtsilake wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 5:55 pm
I generally book with the airlines directly, for the reasons stated.

But if the savings are there, I'll use a third party booker.

I've used Flighthub a couple of times, with no problems.

There is an increased risk of things going irrevocably pear-shaped, but sometimes that risk is worth it.
as long as the risks aren't involving someone dying.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28313 posts
1994 upvotes
Winnipeg
McKinsey wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 5:22 am
You’d be surprised what you see in the back end on the business processes and rules implemented in a system.

I use an agent myself, nothing stops me from calling them to cancel my ticket myself.

Here is my analysis based on the limited information:
-traveler asked landlord to book a ticket
-landlord used a 3rd party
-neither are exactly savyy travelers
-traveler asked United to make a change
-United comply rather than tell them to go F themselves and call the 3rd party as they should have
-After the “change”, this triggered an alert in the 3rd party’s system
-I would hope that the 3rd party would have tried to contact the traveler or landlord by phone during that time
-Their system cancelled the ticket as a fraud prevention method
-This is updates real-time in the system which now the traveler no longer has a “coupon” for the flight

At the end of the day, vote with your wallet. You can avoid United like me, even if they are several hundreds cheaper than AC for example. After the David Dao incident, United’s revenue increased as well as their stock.
how is that even possible? they totally f up that one.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4149 posts
2182 upvotes
User455957 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 12:26 am
Trains, Planes, and Automobiles
I deal direct with no middle man...just how I roll.

Different strokes for different folks
Us too... as well as for Hotels & Cruises
AND we have Loyalty Membership... which often makes us a higher priority to the Travel Provider than those that don’t

The problem with using a 3rd Party is when crap goes wrong...

Then in MANY INSTANCES the Traveller does get referred back to the 3rd Party
(be it a B&M Travel Agency or an on-line Reseller)

Then there is a delay in getting whatever the Traveller needs done...

This is especially problematic if time is crucial to the process... such as a Cancelled Flight, or a fabulous cabin becoming available on the cruise you already have booked (someone else cancelled out)

We have NEVER had an issue getting things straightened out / rearranged... but I have certainly been witness to many folks scrambling on their phones to contact their 3rd Party... or arguing with / pleading with Company “Gatekeepers” (airline tkt Counter - rental car & hotel front desks - or cruise line consierges etc)

You buy direct... you deal direct
And the crazy thing is the 3rd Party Resellers so called bargains often are not a bargain at all... often the same price... or just a few bucks less that can easily be made up in better service, Loyalty Perks & Points.. or lol, just by asking.

When it comes to things going wrong...
The Supplier has a priority list (like it or not) and the list goes as follows:
1- Those MOST LOYAL to the brand (Loyalty Members...Top to Bottom)
2- Those who booked direct (in hopes that you’ll become loyal to the brand)
3- Everyone else (they don’t really care about you... cause well, you don’t really care about them)

Might not be what everyone wants to hear
Especially folks out to save every dollar / penny they can
But the Travel Provider is a business... and like any GOOD BUSINESS they are going to take care of THEIR CUSTOMERS, and THEIR BEST CUSTOMERS First
If you buy 3rd Party... then YOUR MONEY & LOYALTY is to the 3rd Party... not the actual service provider
In the end you get EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR

Penny pinching is good when it works
But when crap happens... as it will from time to time to every Traveller
Then penny pinching sucks
I have been in situations where stuff has gone wrong
And we got treated fairly
(and sometimes even better than fairly... upgrades can happen in these worst of circumstances)
So while I was being quickly wisked off to my new arrangements (flight - fancy hotel room - upgraded rental car)
There were still countless folks in line on their phones trying to reach their 3rd Party etc

And for the record, WE ARE NOT ANYWHERE NEAR ELITE STATUS in any of the Loyalty Programs we belong to
In most cases we are just bottom rung...
But as the old saying goes “Membership has its privileges”
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1511 posts
831 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 11:23 am
When it comes to things going wrong...
The Supplier has a priority list (like it or not) and the list goes as follows:
1- Those MOST LOYAL to the brand (Loyalty Members...Top to Bottom)
2- Those who booked direct (in hopes that you’ll become loyal to the brand)
3- Everyone else (they don’t really care about you... cause well, you don’t really care about them)

Might not be what everyone wants to hear
Especially folks out to save every dollar / penny they can
But the Travel Provider is a business... and like any GOOD BUSINESS they are going to take care of THEIR CUSTOMERS, and THEIR BEST CUSTOMERS First
If you buy 3rd Party... then YOUR MONEY & LOYALTY is to the 3rd Party... not the actual service provider
In the end you get EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR
Thank you for joining, I was wondering when you or @BrunetteGirl would chime in this thread. I'd rather listen to experts like you two, rather than a certain blowhard above (who must enjoy getting stranded).

I wasn't even considering the loyalty side of the argument (which you introduced) but merely the extra point of failure you're introducing by adding a 3rd party. And that point of failure sure came into play here. Penny wise, pound foolish if you go 3rd party to save a measly 10% or whatever.
United wouldn't have cancelled that ticket had the ticket been bought directly from them.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4149 posts
2182 upvotes
I was on business trip, and arrived at the Hotel end of day to discover they had just had a fire.
As guests arrived the Front Desk Staff were redirecting folks.

Those who were not Loyalty Members / booked with 3rd Parties were told their reservations would be refunded, and they could meet with a staff member who would help them make other arrangements (if any could be found... it was a very busy week in that particular city due to the HUGE Convention we were in town for). I am guessing that a good many of them got their money back, but not much else.

Loyalty Members were told that other bookings were on HOLD for them with other hotels / hotel chains in the same brand... and that Transportation would be provided to those properties

I was travelling with a colleague... they were ELITE (top layer / mega user). We both got the same deal (other property)... EXCEPT their room was COMPLIMENTARY DUE TO THE ENTIRE INCONVENIENCE. And transportation was not in the hotel shuttle but a town car. Classy.

Right there that whole experience makes the world of difference between the difference in pricing that may or may not be occurring between booking direct and a 3rd Party Reseller

(As I said... lots of times the 3rd Party Price is the same... or if a Loyalty Member you can get that price just by asking for it... plus all the other perks of membership. A savings is not a savings at all when crap goes off the rails and you really need something to be fixed ... go right in your favour)

Buddy & I we’re properly impressed with how the Hotel Brand handed the mess. Just kept us all the more loyal
And they did ok too... that night we happily ate & drank our expense accounts away in the REASSIGNED Hotel Restaurant & Bar
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8592 posts
1356 upvotes
兩最大
Blowhards and stranded...You are so dramatic w your nonSense.

In actuality this issue has less to do w 3rd party and more to do w UNited but you clearly don't even see that due to logic fail.

For example, I've always used hotels.com w/o any prbs. Again, everything being equal ofc dealing direct is a no-brainer, but when the price diff is 25pc or more, it becomes a no-brainer to use reputable 3rd parties.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8592 posts
1356 upvotes
兩最大
l69norm wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 3:37 am
Don’t the majority of business travellers have to book via their corporate travel agency rather than directly with the airlines?

At my old workplaces, it was mandatory to use the designated corporate travel agency for arranging travel. They propose itineraries that falls with in the company’s travel policies that we were required to select from. We would never book directly with the airlines even if we wanted to.

I had the impression that this is the standard arrangement for most corporate travellers?

As posted above, prior to check in, we deal with the corporate travel agency for changes. The airlines would refer us back to the corporate travel agency for changes prior to the first check in. After check in for the first leg, we can deal with the airline for minor things like cancelled or delayed flights. The airline “takes over the reservation “
No, according to OP, 3rd parties are to be avoided AT ALL COSTS!!!!!! Screw corporate! Deal w a dozen airlines and hotels instead of 1 agency....makes sense!
Even if you have to pay 25pc more or your mom may get cancer if you buy direct...Avoid 3rd party AT ALL COSTS!! /S

I dunno why the dude's so rabid on this issue, freaking joke lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1511 posts
831 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 1:11 pm
Those who were not Loyalty Members / booked with 3rd Parties were told their reservations would be refunded, and they could meet with a staff member who would help them make other arrangements (if any could be found... it was a very busy week in that particular city due to the HUGE Convention we were in town for). I am guessing that a good many of them got their money back, but not much else.
Loyalty Members were told that other bookings were on HOLD for them with other hotels / hotel chains in the same brand... and that Transportation would be provided to those properties
People like you and I can wave at the Hotels.com blowhard getting his refund (with no vacancies for miles around) while we get shuttled off to our alternative arrangements.... love it!
25% off zero is.... the nearest park bench?
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jan 28th, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)