Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
Arrgh wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 3:13 pm
Sounds like you don't know that most hotels have this thing call price match. If you find cheaper price elsewhere, you can get the same price directly with most hotels, while also getting loyalty points and maybe other perks with the hotels.

Why getting overly dramatic by talking about people booking direct and their mom get cancer. If you want to present some views, it's best to be mature about it and not resort to that type of nonsense.
If you read again I was being sarcastic. Anyway, you make it sound like all hotels price match and you're wrong and I'm just using an example and we're discussing airlines here. "Most" as in the majority of hotels price match? Wanna bet your life on that ridiculous blanket statement? Btw, ya, as if 3rd ptys don't have loyalty prgs.

I'm definitely not the one talking Nonsense as I'm not being absolute as in NEVER GO W 3RD PTY NO MATTER WHAT.

If you can't see the diff between OP and I after reading our posts, then you have the same lousy logic and analysis as him. Sometimes talking to brick walls as some members are simply too thick and stubborn to see the other side.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7163 posts
1669 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 3:57 pm
If you read again I was being sarcastic. Anyway, you make it sound like all hotels price match and you're wrong and I'm just using an example and we're discussing airlines here. "Most" as in the majority of hotels price match? Wanna bet your life on that ridiculous blanket statement? Btw, ya, as if 3rd ptys don't have loyalty prgs.

I'm definitely not the one talking Nonsense as I'm not being absolute as in NEVER GO W 3RD PTY NO MATTER WHAT.

If you can't see the diff between OP and I after reading our posts, then you have the same lousy logic and analysis as him. Sometimes talking to brick walls as some members are simply too thick and stubborn to see the other side.
You really need to get educated about booking travel, especially hotels, and also reading comprehension.

You're not being absolutes? Well, I said most hotels, and you say I make it sound like all hotels?!? But it should be clear that all hotels or all businesses, would rather people book directly with them (and they don't have to pay commission), than people booking through 3rd party and they have to pay commission.

Instead of trying to defend what you say as being sarcastic, try to use logic. When you infer people booking direct with hotels with their mom getting cancer, that is being sadist not sarcastic. It clear who who is the "simply too thick and stubborn".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
Arrgh wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 5:16 pm
You really need to get educated about booking travel, especially hotels, and also reading comprehension.

You're not being absolutes? Well, I said most hotels, and you say I make it sound like all hotels?!? But it should be clear that all hotels or all businesses, would rather people book directly with them (and they don't have to pay commission), than people booking through 3rd party and they have to pay commission.

Instead of trying to defend what you say as being sarcastic, try to use logic. When you infer people booking direct with hotels with their mom getting cancer, that is being sadist not sarcastic. It clear who who is the "simply too thick and stubborn".
How ironic, you're the one w reading prbs. You said "most" as in the majority of hotels and are clearly wrong. Again, you obviously don't kNow sarcasm so wrong again.

Finally, it should be clear ppl would pay the lowest price, w/I reason. I never forbade anyone from dealing direct unlike OP. Wrong again and it's clear YOU are mistaken.

Also, quit w the false condescending manner, you obviously dunno what your talking about. Educate myself lol like you're the expert. Your silly MOST hotels price Match statement already shows you don't kNow anything. now you're trying to give me lessons? Ironically, lots of those sites price Match.

You are the one in need of reading and simple logic lessons.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27784 posts
1916 upvotes
Winnipeg
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 5:18 pm
Moral of the story, NEVER BOOK WITH 3RD PARTY.......DOH! Never mind lol. :D

Disgusting both airlines refuse responsibility here. What a joke.
wow she sure loves to travel internationally with late stage pregnancy, because risk is fun!
think $200 child seat is expensive, think how much the bill would be if she had to deliver the kid in a foreign country. obviously never saw the article of the Australian couple gave birth in vancouver and hit with $250k bill, that's a thousand times what she had to deal with, or similar story with the canadian couple gave birth in america.
Three years ago, Scully booked a similar trip when she was pregnant with her first child.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27784 posts
1916 upvotes
Winnipeg
poleman wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 11:22 pm
Let's give United a little credit. They didn't let the peacock on the plane, or it's idiot owner.
they have bigger problems than some travel agency.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3318 posts
1670 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:14 pm
wow she sure loves to travel internationally with late stage pregnancy, because risk is fun!
think $200 child seat is expensive, think how much the bill would be if she had to deliver the kid in a foreign country. obviously never saw the article of the Australian couple gave birth in vancouver and hit with $250k bill, that's a thousand times what she had to deal with, or similar story with the canadian couple gave birth in america.
Hmmm, I read this totally different than you...
Three years ago, Scully booked a similar trip when she was pregnant with her first child.
Meaning she did exactly as she did this time...

Booked while pregnant... but travelled with a newborn... probably for another Irish Christening

Cause I think the point was they had a hassle just making the ticket BABY... and adding a name later on... which worked then versus this year’s total fiasco
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27784 posts
1916 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 6:42 am
Hmmm, I read this totally different than you...

Meaning she did exactly as she did this time...

Booked while pregnant... but travelled with a newborn... probably for another Irish Christening

Cause I think the point was they had a hassle just making the ticket BABY... and adding a name later on... which worked then versus this year’s total fiasco
well next baby could be born in foreign land and get hit with 250k bill, that would be a fiasco, not this $250 bill
Oct 7, 2011
929 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
It's unfortunate for the woman getting in the situation with the 3rd party canceling the ticket.

I often use 3rd party to search, but would always try to book direct with the airlines or hotels. Many times I get the price match just by showing them where there is a cheaper price. Marriott calls it LNF, and others may have different names.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:26 pm
I never change my plans so won't have this prb.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 3:46 pm
I have no prb buying wherever as long as it's a reputable site but chances are other sites will be cheaper vs the airlines and I never change my plans so won't have this prb.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 11:33 pm
Too young and sometimes naive.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 3:07 pm
Even if you have to pay 25pc more or your mom may get cancer if you buy direct...Avoid 3rd party AT ALL COSTS!! /S

I dunno why the dude's so rabid on this issue, freaking joke lol.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 3:57 pm

If you read again I was being sarcastic. Anyway, you make it sound like all hotels price match and you're wrong and I'm just using an example and we're discussing airlines here. "Most" as in the majority of hotels price match? ... Sometimes talking to brick walls as some members are simply too thick and stubborn to see the other side.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 5:28 pm
How ironic, you're the one w reading prbs. You said "most" as in the majority of hotels and are clearly wrong. Again, you obviously don't kNow sarcasm so wrong again..

Also, quit w the false condescending manner, you obviously dunno what your talking about. Educate myself lol like you're the expert. Your silly MOST hotels price Match statement already shows you don't kNow anything. now you're trying to give me lessons? Ironically, lots of those sites price Match.

You are the one in need of reading and simple logic lessons.
This tranquility922 says he never changed travel plan and never have problem. He also doesn't believe most hotels do price match. (New for you, they do, I've done that with different hotels)

It's better to present an opinion without resorting to personal attacks. It just reduces the credibility of any argument when you say you never change your plan, or trying to link booking direct with mom getting cancer. Please don't be so sickening. We all know people battling cancer or died or cancer. So don't even say you are just trying to be sarcastic. It's not funny.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3318 posts
1670 upvotes
Cavegirl wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 2:31 pm
It's unfortunate for the woman getting in the situation with the 3rd party canceling the ticket.

I often use 3rd party to search, but would always try to book direct with the airlines or hotels. Many times I get the price match just by showing them where there is a cheaper price. Marriott calls it LNF, and others may have different names.

This tranquility922 says he never changed travel plan and never have problem. He also doesn't believe most hotels do price match. (New for you, they do, I've done that with different hotels)

It's better to present an opinion without resorting to personal attacks. It just reduces the credibility of any argument when you say you never change your plan, or trying to link booking direct with mom getting cancer. Please don't be so sickening. We all know people battling cancer or died or cancer. So don't even say you are just trying to be sarcastic. It's not funny.
Agree

This is one CLASSY Cave Girl
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
Cavegirl wrote:

Sigh, you simply don't get it. Also, yes I have close ppl who suffered cancer and died and I'm only highlighting the absurdity of the OP's stance, so sarcasm was just that. You really want to compare who has been affected more by that sickness if you want to go out to left field and make crazy accusations? Gimme a break.

Also, I said me personally never had a prb w 3rd Pty but I never said NEVER BOOK DIRECT unlike OP. I gave reasons why ppl would book direct and why 3rd Pty.

Finally, it is simply untrue *most* hotels price match. You do know what that statement means right? Just because you have some exp w those that do doesn't mean the *majority* of them do.

I never start crap but I definitely end it. Ppl should definitely be civil but I detest insolence and let them have it when they start w Nonsense - sign of them losing the debate and must resort to personal attacks. Why the heck are you not chastising OP who started this...? Crazy. I guess you're prejudiced cuz you're in the 'direct' camp and that's fine but if you can't see the real troublemaker then you're not fit to judge here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1132 posts
651 upvotes
Cavegirl wrote:
I often use 3rd party to search, but would always try to book direct with the airlines or hotels.
Definitely! I usually use Matrix (owned by Google), and occasionally Google Flights, Hipmunk and/or Momondo to search for airfares, but once I find the fare/itinerary I want, book directly with the airline (following my usual rules of booking all flights with same airline, or codeshare of same airline, or same alliance). One time I used the wrong departure date when purchasing a ticket. Thankfully, I was dealing directly with that airline and the airline has a "no penalty for changes within 24 hours" policy so one quick phone call to them got my ticket changed, and since there was no price difference between the dates in question, no problem there either. That could have been a costly error to fix (or worse, it doesn't get fixed properly and I end up denied boarding somewhere) had I booked through somebody else.
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 4:28 pm
Agree. This is one CLASSY Cave Girl Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Ditto on that one, PH :-)

As for the lady with the peacock... maybe she should switch to falcons...
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/falc ... index.html
Jan 8, 2012
362 posts
117 upvotes
Williams Lake
As long as you're aware of the risks, and capable of dealing with the complications that might arise, I have no problem booking with a third party.

Speaking of problems, I've booked 80 or so hotel nights in the past couple of years, all through Expedia, and haven't had a single one.

I always book rooms I can cancel--I book the hotel equivalents of "safety schools" then keep tracking better rooms as D-day approaches looking to upgrade--and I've also never had a problem cancelling a room with Expedia.

So my experience is that, at least when it comes to hotels, Expedia works fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6307 posts
1002 upvotes
Mississauga
Same. I trust booking thru Expedia or Orbitz more than directly with the hotel. Just recently I had trouble getting a refund from a hotel and had to get the credit card company involved. Whereas Expedia and Orbitz cancels and refunds instantly.

Also not too long ago, I booked a flight and hotel package thru Expedia. I had to cancel the flight portion and Expedia didn't even charge me. They were also very helpful when I called in a few times just to verify the cancellation process.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7163 posts
1669 upvotes
Toronto
This is not about United, but about hotels.

For those who are not members or don't try to get status with the major hotel chains, you are missing a lot. Even just joining as a membership (free) can get more perks (free or enhanced internet, or welcome packages, etc.) Before we had status, just being a member we can ask and sometimes get upgrades.

As a gold or platinum member, we were able to stay at several Marriott/SPG and IHG, and had access to the lounge. You also will always get upgrades, if there is availability, and we've got some good upgrades. In the lounges, we got free breakfast, lunch, and dinner, often with alcohol (some with limit, some without). If we had booked with 3rd party, the hotels may not give the perks. If you want more elaborate food, you don't eat at the lounges.
A few months ago friends traveled with us together. At the front desk I politely asked if my friends in the other 2 rooms can also get lounge access. They gave to us. My friends were so happy to enjoy the free meals and unlimited alcohol. We ate lunches outside, but the 3 days of breakfast and dinners with drinks were easily worth $100/p/d. Now they all joined hotel memberships and try to get status.

BW has no lounge, but we got upgrades 5 out of 5 times when we traveled a couple of months ago. Several times the upgrades were to King suites. The upgrade at Bryce Canyon was incredible, King suite at the best location in the main lodge, and with ensuite jacuzzi. The last few months BW offered room redemption for only 10k points. That was quite a special - for members only.

By having status with Choice hotels, you can redeem points to book further out (than those without status).

You accumulate status with stays and/or CC, or sometimes status matches or challenges. If you don't travel much, it may not matter. But if you travel more, the points/spends add up, and status can provide so much to you.