Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22866 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal

United LaX to Changi

United has a flight from La to Singapore direct. Anyone know what it's like? The say it's a 787 with all the bells and whistles.

Right now, Singapore airlines doesn't seem to fly to Canada anymore, so United is one option, though I'm somewhat wary of American carriers and their piss poor customer service.

I'll have young 2 kids and a cranky old lady in tow.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1665 posts
341 upvotes
u would probably get better luck asking this on Flyer Talk?
Jan 31, 2007
405 posts
216 upvotes
This would be representative of the experience
https://www.travelcodex.com/review-unit ... singapore/

And your flight would be between 17-18hrs. Sounds like hell to me if you’re in economy. I did HKG to DFW in business and thought it was an extremely long flight.

Another option, which I did going to Bali, was to fly delta economy from SEA to NRT to SIN. The first leg was 11 hrs or so and the next was 7 hrs. The break in between was quite welcome for a real meal and shower.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5145 posts
1090 upvotes
Thornhill
mr_raider wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 12:52 pm
United has a flight from La to Singapore direct. Anyone know what it's like? The say it's a 787 with all the bells and whistles.

Right now, Singapore airlines doesn't seem to fly to Canada anymore, so United is one option, though I'm somewhat wary of American carriers and their piss poor customer service.

What do you mean what it's like. It's no different than any other carrier. I flew there with united twice last year then once with Singapore Air. Same thing! Get over your nonsense fears.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22866 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
dazz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 9:51 pm
What do you mean what it's like. It's no different than any other carrier. I flew there with united twice last year then once with Singapore Air. Same thing! Get over your nonsense fears.
Did you consider the flight as comfortable with united? I've taken Singapore before and they really are pretty good service.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1656 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
A United 787 in economy is not going to be substantially different than Singapore Airlines. The service will be a little less flirty and either indifferent or friendly but curt but really how important is that to you with as you say that many people in tow?

Your other option is to change in Asia somewhere. Hong Kong for example. Depending on the ages of the kids I would decide based on the timings of the flights more than the superior service the Asian airlines offer.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1323 posts
280 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
we flew with United on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner from Denver to Tokyo and it was fine, even the economy class. I don't think LAX to Changi would be any different.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2010
1088 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
i took that flight, it wasnt too bad on United lol ,, counted that there was a space in between me and another guy
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22866 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
fogetmylogin wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 6:36 am
A United 787 in economy is not going to be substantially different than Singapore Airlines. The service will be a little less flirty and either indifferent or friendly but curt but really how important is that to you with as you say that many people in tow?

Your other option is to change in Asia somewhere. Hong Kong for example. Depending on the ages of the kids I would decide based on the timings of the flights more than the superior service the Asian airlines offer.
Well the thing is changing in the US forces me to clear customs and pick up my luggage on the way back.

Anyone try the SINgapore airlines flight from SFO to singapore? It has a stop is Honk Kong, but are passengers forced to disembark?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1944 posts
922 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 5:11 pm
Well the thing is changing in the US forces me to clear customs and pick up my luggage on the way back.

Anyone try the SINgapore airlines flight from SFO to singapore? It has a stop is Honk Kong, but are passengers forced to disembark?
I flew SFO to SIN with a stop in Soul years ago - they did make us disembark.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4226 posts
1296 upvotes
Moncton
From Montreal, Los Angeles would be a detour (the earth is round). It is also a terrible airport to change planes at.

Tokyo-Narita is a very civilized stopover. Showers, food, beer, sleeping pods. No security or immigration while changing planes. You might have to get on one of those big busses to your plane in the middle of the runway, but that’s more fun than an inconvenience, assuming your party can climb the stairs into the plane.

Keep in mind your flight west will be longer than your flights east.

The Singapore airport also has showers (and an outdoor pool!), if you are disciplined enough to use them before going through immigration after landing.

From Montreal you could also fly via Beijing on whatever Chinese airline does it (something like 3 times a week). You can stay up to 144 hours without a visa in Beijing. Air Canada does Montreal to Shanghai (in addition to Montreal to Tokyo starting this summer).

If you fly via Newark on United, you’d go through security once on your way there (in Montreal). On the way back you will go through special security for US bound flights (in Hong Kong or Tokyo) and again after US immigration in New York.

United is starting Plattsburgh-Washington Dulles at the end of August. Dulles is also an easy airport to change planes at, although obviously a detour.

Remember to chew all your gum before Singapore Customs. If you actually care about good customer service, you are going to the wrong country (and you will really notice the difference after your Tokyo layover).

Singapore takes exit control quite seriously. It was probably just seconds, but it felt like hours as the Singapore civil servant inspected my passport to let me leave the city state. Be sure to have proper parental documentation for the kids.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22866 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
What documentation? The kids have passports.
Oct 1, 2009
367 posts
129 upvotes
West coast
If you're traveling without your spouse then get a notarized letter that your spouse consents you to travel without them.

Also, ensure you have 6 months validity on your passport at the date of travel out of Singapore. No excuses.

As for the airline, there are readings why some asian airline are rank very high perennially
Vs north American carriers. No brainer for me.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
665 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 12:52 pm

You can buy a ticket to Singapore on Singapore airline via SFO on their website
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
665 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 9:51 pm
United stuffs 10 abreast in their 777s and 9 on their 787s. Singapore is still now 9 abreast in their 777s and their 380s have wider seats than any long haul United bird