Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa

Universal Remote Programming

I got a very good deal on a Sony BDP-S6200 once – mostly because it was missing its remote. I managed to get a cheap RCA universal remote from Radio Shack that worked well enough to let me set it up with my Wifi, so I can control it via a cell phone app, but I'm still not completely pleased with it.

I recently got an extra-fancy OneForAll URC-9962 Kameleon 8-Device Remote, which I had pretty high hopes for – but it's old enough to predate Blu-Ray and is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Apparently I might be able to train it to "learn" the codes from my RCA remote, but that seems like a slow and cumbersome process.

Googling around suggests that there's a lot of enthusiasm for programming these things, but there's a great deal of information and some of it may or may not be outdated or otherwise inapplicable. Can someone suggest where I should start?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
Thank you for the link. However, as noted in the URL, that is for a URC-8308 and is a substantially newer model than my URC-9962, despite the similarity in the name.

In any case, I have already found the manual for the URL-9962 and it offers no particular insights.
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You should look at the Logitech remotes. They are straightforward to set up and have an extensive database of devices that you can take advantage of. The odds are your device is known and you just have to add it to the remote. You need a computer with USB for the setup.

The Logitech Harmony 650 is a pretty useful model and will do most of what you want; it runs about $100 but I got one on sale for only $50. Other models have more or fewer features with matching prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
...Yes, I have heard fine things about the Logitech Harmony, but I would rather use the thing I have now rather than spend $50 unnecessarily.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
If you think of Logitech Harmony just for the BR player, you're right - it's not worth it. However, if you use it for other devices also so that you can just use one remote for everything, the Harmony is a big step up.

I personally moved from Kameleons to Harmony remotes years ago and it's day and night.
Phils

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)