Students

which universities (in business/finance) is better?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2013 6:45 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 1, 2012
22 posts
RICHMOND HILL

which universities (in business/finance) is better?

Hi there,

I am a grade 12 students and i applied business for below universities:

UTsc
UTM
Waterloo
Laurier
Mcmaster
Brock

My average should be around 84-86. I know :
a. UTSC management co-op program very good. i hope i can get a offer from them. But it seems the retention rate to year high is very low. I heard that it was 150 out of 600 can go in the year 2. is that real? anyone heard about it?

b. Waterloo AFM program - i know is good too. but it seems very hard to IN. anyone have the actual experience?

c. beisde of above 2 universities, i didnt get any information of UTM, Laurier, Mcmaster and Brock. Especially Mcmaster - nothing heard in this forum, I thought it should be a very good universities, it is TOP 5 in canada, right? anyone can comments it.

d. Since my average not really high (actually i am a science student), do you think i will get any offer from above universities?

e. If i only got offers from Mcmaster, Laurier and UTM, which one will be better. Location is not a problem. Anyone please comments, I really need some actual experience and advice. tks very much.
11 replies
May 3, 2012
83 posts
5 upvotes
Does Waterloo have a real finance program? I thought it was more of an accounting thing. I would be hesitant in going to Brock unless your going the CA / accounting route. I was talking to some people who were in McMaster business, finance I think. Not sure if they liked it too much lol, a lot of complaining about professors and low averages. I mean maybe McMaster is somewhere near the top overall, but not for business/finance. Still a good for business though, just not as good as Laurier, UT, etc. Also, look at Brock, that school has no reputation, but it still has a very well developed accounting program.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
"Better" is a very subjective term.

If you mean reputation-wise, then the U of Ts and Waterloo would be on top of the list.

top for Business in Canada and popular are typically known as:

UBC (Sauder), Queens Commerce, Western (Ivey), UofT, Waterloo, York (schulich). Mcgill is a very well reputated name as well, but not too sure about their business program.
Aug 6, 2011
95 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
McMaster's Commerce program is decent but nothing spectacular. The 1st year of the program lacks business content as there's only 1 business course, and 2 economics courses; the rest comprise of math, computer science, and electives. During the 2nd year, the program does a poor job transitioning the difficulty level because 9/10 courses are mandatory and students are bombarded with constant midterms every 1 - 2 weeks in batches of 2-3 in the same week; in comparison to 1st year where there are only 2-3 midterms per month and spread out fairly evenly. The only reason anyone should ever choose McMaster is the opportunity to receive a paid internship after the 3rd year of studying. The internship lasts for 12 - 16 months with an average salary of 3000/month, which requires a minimum GPA of 7.0 (B-), but students who usually receive an internship obtain a higher GPA (i.e. B or higher). After completing the internship, the student returns to McMaster to complete the program as a 5th year student. Without the internship, the program is inferior to other programs that only focuses on studies, such as York-Schulich, Queen's Commerce, Western - Ivey, UofT - Rotman.

Based on the information you've provided, UTSC - Management w/ co-op is the best option, followed by Laurier BBA, McMaster Commerce respectively. Waterloo AFM/APA and Brock - Accounting w/ co-op are excellent options if you want to pursue a career in accounting. However, it's also possible to specialize in accounting at UofT, Laurier, and McMaster.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2751 posts
233 upvotes
For finance:
Laurier
Waterloo
UTSC

Laurier grads place very well on Bay Street. Waterloo grads too. UTSC isnt as much a finance school as an accounting one, but i do know some people that are on co-op at some big companies (OTPP, ONCAP, etc.) I wouldnt even consider the rest.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1815 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
ChucKoH wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 12:09 am
McMaster's Commerce program is decent but nothing spectacular. The 1st year of the program lacks business content as there's only 1 business course, and 2 economics courses; the rest comprise of math, computer science, and electives. During the 2nd year, the program does a poor job transitioning the difficulty level because 9/10 courses are mandatory and students are bombarded with constant midterms every 1 - 2 weeks in batches of 2-3 in the same week; in comparison to 1st year where there are only 2-3 midterms per month and spread out fairly evenly. The only reason anyone should ever choose McMaster is the opportunity to receive a paid internship after the 3rd year of studying. The internship lasts for 12 - 16 months with an average salary of 3000/month, which requires a minimum GPA of 7.0 (B-), but students who usually receive an internship obtain a higher GPA (i.e. B or higher). After completing the internship, the student returns to McMaster to complete the program as a 5th year student. Without the internship, the program is inferior to other programs that only focuses on studies, such as York-Schulich, Queen's Commerce, Western - Ivey, UofT - Rotman.

Based on the information you've provided, UTSC - Management w/ co-op is the best option, followed by Laurier BBA, McMaster Commerce respectively. Waterloo AFM/APA and Brock - Accounting w/ co-op are excellent options if you want to pursue a career in accounting. However, it's also possible to specialize in accounting at UofT, Laurier, and McMaster.

he knows what he is talking about
[OP]
Aug 1, 2012
22 posts
RICHMOND HILL
Hi Kunman,

You said "dont go to mac" - may i know why?
May 5, 2010
939 posts
109 upvotes
Waterloo math/business > UTSC. Just do a quick search on linkedin and you will see the superiority in their co-op placements.
× < >