Off Topic Archive

Locked: University BSc. Degree VS BA VS BComm ...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2004 9:34 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4761 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto

University BSc. Degree VS BA VS BComm ...

I was discussing with this a collegue of mine. I do understand there are tons of other factors that come into play than education when getting a job. But for this thread sake lets assume that only thing matters is degree and all candidates are at the same level in every way.

My impression of university degree are:

1) Uni Degree is just a peiece of paper that helps you market yourself better
2) BSc is better than BA / Bcomm / ... (More true outside NAmerica)
3) BA and BComm are almost on the same level but if you have to rank 'em BA is better than BComm
4) Devry / College Degree (such as humber/sheridan) are not considered real degrees
5) Athabasca degree (which is online correspondence university) is good if you are going outside N.America - since good chance they will not know its correspondece degree
6) Degree > Diploma ( ">" means greater than or better than ... for all u non-techies :) )

Sadly, I am into Computer Science. Therefore, if we need to pick a program to be associated with degree, lets pick comp. sci. (but general compairson is preferred).

How wrong am I in above assumptions?
For Sale:
    Canon 70D + LEns + 580 EX ii Flash + 265 Flash + Triggers +
Share:
75 replies
Nov 22, 2004
652 posts
FYI:
Devry in the US does offer Bsc and yes it is a real degree
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1511 posts
15 upvotes
North York
BA, BSC, BCOM, BBA.. all same undergraduate stuff.. what matter is when you start doing your masters

either way, engineers and accountants are the highest paying undergrad degree

for comp sci, most likely it'll be a bsc
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
In your field, it's odd... it's highly unlikely that most people without computer science education can do true computer science work and would therefore absolutely need a computer science degree. However, most people who get computer science degrees do not go on to do true computer science work. They go on to work in the IT field, which is packed with cases of the following.

For IT companies/departments consisting of departments headed by people who just want to employ their friends and family, a degree or diploma has no value. You'll see job postings with things like "university degree required, or equivalent work experience". These companies are often saturated with uneducated baby boomers who don't want to be outdone. This is one of the reasons for outsourcing... you have to replace whole organizations because the culture and incestuous relationships are what's wrong, not individual people and teams.

I am very convinced that the value of computer technical DEGREES (not diplomas) will increase in the future, particularly in the IT field (but only because IT has such huge room for improvement). Many departments like the above are instructed by higher-ups to retain their degree-holding employees, whether or not they like it. Getting in might be a problem, though.

It's terrible how some of these companies acquire employees. There are plenty of eager, willing technical degree holders who are not being employed, while friends and relatives of those in charge are being brought in and simply can't do the work being asked of them. But, it's incredibly hard to get rid of them once they're in. A lot of hiring takes place internally. That's why, sadly, networking works so well. If you can get into one of these companies, and are a hard-working technical degree holder, I would not feel ashamed to have got a job via "who you know". In the long-run, you are doing the industry a favour. Mediocrity is the norm in IT, and anything below that makes mediocrity look good.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1511 posts
15 upvotes
North York
most college's offer program where you can earn a degree+diploma... which is nice cuz u get both at half the price of going to uni
Sep 15, 2004
312 posts
GTA
ahem.. BComm is MUCH better than BA.. from what i figure, BA is what u do when u cant get a BSc or BComm.
Basically they all suck as they're undergrad anyways, but if ure looking to get a job with an undergrad degree, i guarantee u'll have MUCH more luck with a Bcomm or Bsc.

I'm pretty biased as im doing a bcomm, but never compare a bcomm with a ba :P
WTB:
40" bokken swords
64mb+ pci video card
DVD-Rom drive

www.Finertia.com
Toronto's Finertia Urban Network
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1591 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
TricksX wrote:ahem.. BComm is MUCH better than BA.. from what i figure, BA is what u do when u cant get a BSc or BComm.
Basically they all suck as they're undergrad anyways, but if ure looking to get a job with an undergrad degree, i guarantee u'll have MUCH more luck with a Bcomm or Bsc.

I'm pretty biased as im doing a bcomm, but never compare a bcomm with a ba :P
The whole my program/school is better than yours debate sorta fades away when you're actually looking for a job. I know quite a few people with "superior" degrees who can't find decent jobs. while on the other hand, I also know people who went to college who are making excellent coin, more than uni grads anyways. Education is important, but its experience and connections that seal the deal.
13+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Nov 28, 2004
259 posts
3 upvotes
I'd do BComm over the other two. Not just for academics, but the school coordinates many recruiting and interviews FOR the students, it's pretty easy to find jobs as long as you're a decent student with good marks and extra-curriculars. Of the people who graduated from my program last year, there are number of investment bankers, a few consultants (for 'real' consulting companies), and god-knows-how-many working for the big-4. Plus, the mass recruiting occurs in September-November, so you can finish the year knowing that you have a job lined up after you finish school.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14552 posts
672 upvotes
Scarborough
Well at least this thread isn't as bad as the other one where people were debating BCOMM is better than BBA or vice versa when they are the same thing when held in its own regard. The difference lies in the curriculum.

This thread isn't that much better. In the grand scheme of things all B.XX is just a bachelor's degree... it doesn't make yours any better than someone else's. What *might* make it better is what university it says on the degree... like a BCOMM from Queen's is definitely better than a BCOMM from UofT... but again, the difference there is the curriculum and the training they put you through by way of assignments, projects, business plan competitions as well as sharing classes with the MBA students.

A BSc vs BA? BSc. A BCOMM vs BA? BComm. Is this true? Nope! Some universities offer their business program as a BSc. Some offer it as a BA.

It is true that in general BAs are for those who couldn't get into business school and settled for a BA in Econ. or a BA in CompSci cause they couldn't get into CompEng...

But let me say again... it doesn't matter - as long as you have a bachelor's degree it's all the same in the long run.
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread
Sep 15, 2004
312 posts
GTA
watewate wrote:I'd do BComm over the other two. Not just for academics, but the school coordinates many recruiting and interviews FOR the students, it's pretty easy to find jobs as long as you're a decent student with good marks and extra-curriculars. Of the people who graduated from my program last year, there are number of investment bankers, a few consultants (for 'real' consulting companies), and god-knows-how-many working for the big-4. Plus, the mass recruiting occurs in September-November, so you can finish the year knowing that you have a job lined up after you finish school.
Recruiting for KPMG and Deloitte is this january, so get urself ready! I've already started talking to representatives and the higher-ups in the big-4 just to get myself known for when i show up to these events
WTB:
40" bokken swords
64mb+ pci video card
DVD-Rom drive

www.Finertia.com
Toronto's Finertia Urban Network
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9306 posts
191 upvotes
BA > BCOMM?

What are you smoking?

Yeah there are plenty of jobs for english or history majors out there. ;)
Nov 28, 2004
259 posts
3 upvotes
TricksX wrote:Recruiting for KPMG and Deloitte is this january, so get urself ready! I've already started talking to representatives and the higher-ups in the big-4 just to get myself known for when i show up to these events

That's so late! The deadline to accept big-4 offers was back in mid-October on my campus. They all hired in droves (in all areas, not just audit), so you should have a good shot at landing a job.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
Anybody who chooses a degree because it's easy to get a job or easy to make a lot of money is an idiot. Do what you enjoy, not what pays the most.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3779 posts
62 upvotes
B40 wrote:Anybody who chooses a degree because it's easy to get a job or easy to make a lot of money is an idiot. Do what you enjoy, not what pays the most.

amen.

you'd better love the career you've chosen, or else it's going to be 'work'. i love my job, and make a decent living out of it--i may not be pulling down six figures, but i have a quality of life that i would not have gotten if i'd dragged myself through a mba.

and as several people have said, the baccalaureate degree is mostly meaningless. it's what graduate degrees you have and (sometimes) where you get it from, that will make a difference.
× < >