Students

University Issue

Apr 16, 2013
32 posts
1 upvote
blitzforce wrote: But you need to realize, most of the uni students whom got into real programs (not the more bs social studies program) got 85%+ averages WITHOUT TRYING at all. I got my 84% (Calculus and advanced functions included) with like really minimal 2hrs of study the night before my exams during highschool, and I'm now having a really hard time competing against other students whom got even higher marks in my 3rd year. So the question is are you willing to put your "hard work and integrity" and get your 85%, then go into uni, and compete with others whom also got that same 85% without trying?
Relax bro.
I know people who had 90's in high school and fail in university. I also know people who barely got through college and have a 3.0+ GPA at uoft.
So chill out.
You don't need to harass people online.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
imalittlebear wrote: Relax bro.
I know people who had 90's in high school and fail in university. I also know people who barely got through college and have a 3.0+ GPA at uoft.
So chill out.
Not really harassing, just from my experience. The "people" you speak of are probably really smart, but they just slack off way too much.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
blitzforce wrote: Not really harassing, just from my experience. The "people" you speak of are probably really smart, but they just slack off way too much.
nah, 90%+ in high school still doesn't qualify you as smart, you could be valedictorian and doesn't mean a thing when you go to university, you play with the big boys now
Apr 26, 2013
120 posts
1 upvote
I don't think I should drop out, just stick to college and take 1st and 2nd semester courses which are easy as hell for me right now, like an easy A. If I drop out then I have start everything from the bottom; which I really don't want to do it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
^are you ok with your ego completely shut down? if so, university is the right place for you.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
imalittlebear wrote: Hello there;
DO NOT TAKE HIGH SCHOOL CREDITS!!!
I can only tell you that you should take a bridging course - for example Sheridan College offers "Arts and Science University Bridging Program".... This will take you to Uni with no problem. Even uoft will take you. All you will need to do is keep a 3.0 GPA :) Which is super easy to do!
If you have any other questions - just ask :)
On the other hand.... Updating your high school credits at an adult school is easier, cheaper, and faster.
CALC in toronto has 3 month semesters... You could easily pound out six 4U level courses in that time frame.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
divx wrote: nah, 90%+ in high school still doesn't qualify you as smart, you could be valedictorian and doesn't mean a thing when you go to university, you play with the big boys now
+1

There's a valedictorian in my program. Getting A/A+s from test banks or blowing the prof. Sigh
Aug 13, 2008
378 posts
45 upvotes
Cambridge
Not sure about University, but marks mean absolutely nothing in College. I had one of the top 3 GPA's in my program and was still one of the last ones to get a co-op job just because others had better interview skills (but sucked at actually applying what they learned). Experience (even made up) > Education any day.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: nah, 90%+ in high school still doesn't qualify you as smart, you could be valedictorian and doesn't mean a thing when you go to university, you play with the big boys now
I am just saying that many of those 90% students aren't really that smart, yet they still managed to obtain that mark without any effort. OP may be able to obtain the stated mark with enough dedication, but once you get to uni, you're going to be at the bottom of the class, and imagine when you actually get to 3rd/4th year where you get to the meat of the program. For me, I feel like a total ***** right now in 3rd year classes, and i got an 85% during HS by sleeping in class(I even felt pretty smart compared to my peers). I am also only in the BAS program, but imagine going to Schulich and competing with people entering with 95%+ averages.

Besides it costs $8k+ annually just to "try" in university, it's not free.

Being optimistic is one thing, but being realistic is another.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
blitzforce wrote: I am just saying that many of those 90% students aren't really that smart, yet they still managed to obtain that mark without any effort. OP may be able to obtain the stated mark with enough dedication, but once you get to uni, you're going to be at the bottom of the class, and imagine when you actually get to 3rd/4th year where you get to the meat of the program. For me, I feel like a total ***** right now in 3rd year classes, and i got an 85% during HS by sleeping in class(I even felt pretty smart compared to my peers). I am also only in the BAS program, but imagine going to Schulich and competing with people entering with 95%+ averages.

Besides it costs $8k+ annually just to "try" in university, it's not free.

Being optimistic is one thing, but being realistic is another.
yep i'm fully aware op will get floored in university but it's pointless to tell him as there is no way he would believe until he tries. also, there is a chance no matter how slim it is that the op will prove us wrong.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: yep i'm fully aware op will get floored in university but it's pointless to tell him as there is no way he would believe until he tries. also, there is a chance no matter how slim it is that the op will prove us wrong.
I do want OP to prove me wrong, but 55 and 60.....is still too low. If he's currently getting 75+ then yes, getting 90s is possible.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
blitzforce wrote: I do want OP to prove me wrong, but 55 and 60.....is still too low. If he's currently getting 75+ then yes, getting 90s is possible.
depends on the university, for 1st rate i'd say his chances is 0, but for 2nd and 3rd rate i'd put his odds at 100:1. i encourage op to try though, sometimes you learn more by failing than succeeding.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: depends on the university, for 1st rate i'd say his chances is 0, but for 2nd and 3rd rate i'd put his odds at 100:1. i encourage op to try though, sometimes you learn more by failing than succeeding.
The thing is, I don't think he's completed his college diploma yet, so if he gets into Uni, and fails, can he go back to college?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
blitzforce wrote: The thing is, I don't think he's completed his college diploma yet, so if he gets into Uni, and fails, can he go back to college?
you can safely assume he will fail, and be put on academic probation, then he will post another thread here asking what to do. we can advise him to go back to college when that time comes.
Apr 10, 2012
21 posts
3 upvotes
imalittlebear wrote: Relax bro.
So chill out.
And I know people who had 90s in high school who were publishing and having masters/PhD students working for them while they were in their undergrad. I also know people who had 90s in high school who ended up in med school and post-docs. Sure there are always exceptions but making generalizations is very dangerous. Gives some people hope they can do something that they really can't do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)