None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
217 upvotes
Ontario
Scotty12 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2011 2:06 pm
What will the differences be if I purchase an iphone locked to bell or rogers VS if I buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store?

I travel frequently and was planning to swap sim cards I am in the whenever I am in the states / europe ... will there be consequences if I purchase a phone from bell or rogers?
From Apple at full price = factory unlocked.
From Apple at subsidized price, or from a carrier at subsidized, or even from a carrier at full price = locked to the carrier. Software unlockable after jailbreaking the device but not reliable as Apple releases updates to lock them again, if you update by mistake or need to restore. It's cat and mouse, the unlocking software also has to be updated. Currently new carrier iPhone4's at iOS 4.2.1 cannot be software unlocked, solution will be out soon.
Sep 1, 2011
184 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Lulz wrote:
Jan 21st, 2011 6:13 pm
There is absolutely no point in buying from Bell or Rogers or Telus or any other provider if you are paying full price. Person would have to be an idiot not to buy from Apple.
Well, even if you are paying full price Apple store, they will not sell you any phone without contract right now. Also they are not saying when the unlocked models will come out.

So for anyone who wants to pay full price and no be bind in any carrier contracts for another 2-3 years, they are really out of luck at the retail level. Only way is to kijiji then.
, Xperia Z1, Note 3, iPhone 5S, LG G3, iPhone 6, Samsung Alpha, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Galaxy 6, LG G Flex 2, S6, S7Edge, LG G5, LG G6