Cell Phones

Unlock Rogers iPhone 3G to use on Telus?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2012 12:20 pm
Jul 3, 2010
26 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga

Unlock Rogers iPhone 3G to use on Telus?

Is this possible? I tried to jailbreak it and then use ultrasn0w, but it didn't recognize my telus sim card ("no service").

Then, I read that it was because I had the 3G 4.2.1 with 5.15.04 baseband, so I tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 ... the firmware downgraded, but the baseband didn't :(

Now I'm stuck with 3.1.3 firmware and 5.15.04 baseband with 5.9 bootloader... not sure how to unlock it from here :confused:

Should I upgrade it back to 4.2.1? Should I bother trying to unlock on my own or is it best to get it unlocked from one of the cellphone shops? I saw some adds for unlocking for $30-$40... but that just seems ridiculously expensive for a software unlock :/

Please help!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
You will have to pay to have that phone unlocked... Are you currently with Rogers if so call them up and have it unlocked
[OP]
Jul 3, 2010
26 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
shushwap wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 4:34 pm
You will have to pay to have that phone unlocked... Are you currently with Rogers if so call them up and have it unlocked
No, it's actually my friend's old cellphone. He was with Rogers, but then his contract ended and he switched to another carrier and got a new phone. This is basically paper weight unless we figure out how to unlock it...

Will Rogers still unlock if it's been a year since the contract ended?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
Sell the phone and purchase one that is with the carrier you want... Iphones especially Rogers are not cheap to unlock...
[OP]
Jul 3, 2010
26 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
So I figured it out: unlock the phone by upgrading the baseband 6.15 via redsn0w, which also jailbreaks the phone. Then install ultrasn0w to unlock.
× < >