Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York

Unlocking iPhone 5 From Bell

Hi guys. I purchased a used iPhone 5 from an individual who has it locked to Bell. Called a Bell rep and asked how I can unlock the device. She explain it would cost me $50 and that the owner of the account needs to do it. I told her the owner of the account is nowhere to be found, I just bought the phone and now want to use it on Fido. She said as long as it's not blacklisted, I can get it unlocked, and it doesn't have to be the owner. I gave her the IMEI number, she checked, and it is not blacklisted, she called it a 'negativity list' or something like that. She gives me a number to call that unlocks Bell locked phones. I give it a call and the dude on the line says I got the wrong info from the Bell rep, and that the only person who can unlock it is the account holder. The account holder is my friend so I can always go that route, I just wanted to do it faster. Who is right? Who is wrong? The phone is NOT blacklisted and was never stolen. Can I actually not unlock it on my own?
5 replies
Aug 15, 2012
357 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Bell can't and won't unlock it for you no matter what their reps say. What they will do is try to convince you to get on a 90-day plan with them in order to unlock the phone. Now you'll only be able to get the phone unlocked through a third party for $100-$150. The guy who owned the phone before you missed the window to get it unlocked for $50 by them.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14470 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
sk2003 wrote: Bell can't and won't unlock it for you no matter what their reps say. What they will do is try to convince you to get on a 90-day plan with them in order to unlock the phone. Now you'll only be able to get the phone unlocked through a third party for $100-$150. The guy who owned the phone before you missed the window to get it unlocked for $50 by them.
In some cases Bell doesn't know the phone isn't on their plan or not with the original owner yet. So it's 100% simple. Have the account holder call the Bell unlocking number with the imei and pay $50 plus hst. Sometimes they will say you need the phone in front of you. You don't...all they need is the imei. They will then send the original account holder an email with unlocking instructions. That's it. That's all you need to know.

There is no faster. There is no cheaper. There is no truth to what the original Bell rep said. The account holder needs to call period.

It is quite expensive to unlock a Bell iphone going the 3rd party route. You would be better off selling it and buying one that's already on your carrier.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York
What if the account holder has upgraded their phone from the iPhone that I now have to a Note 3, and resigned for another 2 years with Bell?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
dankup wrote: What if the account holder has upgraded their phone from the iPhone that I now have to a Note 3, and resigned for another 2 years with Bell?
It should still be unlockable, ask your friend to have the iPhone unlocked. The iPhone should still be registered on his account i would imagine so he should still be able to unlock it despite upgrading to a new phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)