• Nov 24th, 2014 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes

Unlocking Question

I am likely going to go ahead and place an order with cellunlocker.net to unlock my Rogers Note 3. Watching the tutorial it shows that in order to know if your phone was successfully unlocked you need to insert a foreign SIM. If I am going to buy a Roam Mobility SIM and activate it before buying a plan, do I just insert that SIM to unlock? Even though I would not be Roaming, will it still unlock if local? Stupid question? LOL...
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Yup just insert and it'll ask for a code.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Yup just insert and it'll ask for a code.
k, thanks...wasn't sure if it will unlock if I am not actually roaming
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
The foreign sim doesn't even need to be activated. Just basically any sim, dead or alive, other than a Rogers sim.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Rogido wrote: The foreign sim doesn't even need to be activated. Just basically any sim, dead or alive, other than a Rogers sim.
ah even better to know..I didn't want to activate it until closer to when we travel. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
Rogido wrote: The foreign sim doesn't even need to be activated. Just basically any sim, dead or alive, other than a Rogers sim.
I have evidence to contrary unfortunately. Used a dead deactivated Sim, didn't get prompted for unlock code on S3, using an active Sim did.

Best to activate , but if it works without activation for you, excellent
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AndroidRootGuy wrote: I have evidence to contrary unfortunately. Used a dead deactivated Sim, didn't get prompted for unlock code on S3, using an active Sim did.

Best to activate , but if it works without activation for you, excellent
I have experienced this as well.

But more often than not, an inactive SIM SHOULD work 95% of the time.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10320 upvotes
Toronto
To ensure you get prompted for an unlock code, I recommend not using a sim card from the carrier's sub-brands too. For example, I would not use a Fido sim to unlock a Rogers phone or a Telus sim to unlock a Koodo phone.

For those that had a problem with a deactivated sim, could it be that the deactivated sim's contact pattern could not be recognized by the phone?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
I will try Roam Mobility anyhow so are some of you guys suggesting I activate the SIM before going ahead to unlock? When I activate do I also have to choose a plan right away or will activating be enough to allow unlock? Not going away for a couple of weeks so don't want to buy a plan yet..
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
redsfan wrote: I will try Roam Mobility anyhow so are some of you guys suggesting I activate the SIM before going ahead to unlock? When I activate do I also have to choose a plan right away or will activating be enough to allow unlock? Not going away for a couple of weeks so don't want to buy a plan yet..
There should be no need to activate the sim... I have a few expired Tmobile sims sitting around that I have used to unlock phones
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
shushwap wrote: There should be no need to activate the sim... I have a few expired Tmobile sims sitting around that I have used to unlock phones
that is what I thought..
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Bought the SIMS on sale at Stooples for $9.99 today, looks like it is the 4G/LTE upgrade on as well so not a bad deal. Didn't activate but did put it in the phone and asked for an activation code, so that is a good start..
Feb 10, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
redsfan wrote: I am likely going to go ahead and place an order with cellunlocker.net to unlock my Rogers Note 3. Watching the tutorial it shows that in order to know if your phone was successfully unlocked you need to insert a foreign SIM. If I am going to buy a Roam Mobility SIM and activate it before buying a plan, do I just insert that SIM to unlock? Even though I would not be Roaming, will it still unlock if local? Stupid question? LOL...
I don't think so that it is necessary to insert the foreign sim
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Did the successful unlock over the weekend, no issues at all. I did place my Roam Mobility SIM in though to make sure and activated it afterwards.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)