Cell Phones

Unlocking Sprint Moto E XT1526 for Canadian GSM - Is it possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2017 1:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
2913 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto

Unlocking Sprint Moto E XT1526 for Canadian GSM - Is it possible?

Recently I got a cheap Moto E and thought all Moto E's have GSM and since this phone is LTE, it does have SIM slot, but is it possible to unlock this phone for GSM carriers like Rogers/Fido?
[AMD Ryzen 3 1200 | Gigabyte B350-Gaming 3 | Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2400 | Toshiba 1TB & Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC | Phanteks P300]
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2210940205.png
Feedbacks:
Ebay
HoFo
Heatware
14 replies
Nov 9, 2014
562 posts
251 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
Phones from the united states particularly are CDMA based only and you'll only be able to use it for CDMA based networks such as Sprint, Verizon, etc., once unlocked. Never will it be able to be used for GSM networks because it does not have these capabilities. Even though Moto E supports LTE this does not mean it supports GSM based carriers. Having LTE and CDMA specs just means it's able to be used on an LTE network that is CDMA.
Virgin Mobile $60 | 10GB | Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | $10 Loy Bill credit | 10% off | $45.80

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14885 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
Did you try a sim card in the phone to see if you get any signal?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14885 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not familiar with cdma phones with a sim slot but I may have read somewhere that the sim slot is for LTE. You can't get a non-roaming signal or signal from a local carrier?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4967 posts
1079 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
The last time I got phone from sprint its also works in rogers instantly without unlocking it. Phone are blackberry and Samsung.

Freedom Mobile

Feb 19, 2008
234 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
It is already unlocked for international GSM. I have one (XT1526) works on Fido/Rogers out of the box. Just change the settings in Mobile Networks to select network automatically. :)
Oct 4, 2015
1 posts
3 upvotes
Relax, and please disregard the false info you have received. The xt1526 is CDMA and GSM. Although the SIM is not locked to Sprint's network, the ROM includes code to put the phone in CDMA mode by default. To use the xt1526 on a GSM network, it is strongly recommended that you first root your device or flash with a custom 5.1.x ROM of your choice that is deodexed. Access your phone's cell radio settings by entering *#*#4636#*#*. Scroll down to preferred network and select GSM/LTE auto PRL. Insert your GSM SIM. Next download APN Change from the Play Store. Use it to set up the APN settings for your carrier. Next go to Settings, Mobile Networks, and select Mobile Operator from the GSM menu. Your xt1526 will register to your GSM carrier. Enjoy. I am currently using a Virgin Mobile xt1526 on AT&T. I have also confirmed that it can be used on T-mobile.
Dec 30, 2004
102 posts
2 upvotes
Are you sure you were talking about Sprint version Moto E not Verizon version?
I've used Verizon version with ATT/TMO no problem, but Sprint version always says my TMO SIM cannot connect by your method. I think it's international unlocked but not for US carriers. Am i wrong
Jan 14, 2007
962 posts
87 upvotes
min1968 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2016 11:37 pm
Are you sure you were talking about Sprint version Moto E not Verizon version?
I've used Verizon version with ATT/TMO no problem, but Sprint version always says my TMO SIM cannot connect by your method. I think it's international unlocked but not for US carriers. Am i wrong

Yes you're wrong. I have a Sprint version and it's working on Rogers without unlocking. You just need to change network settings as described by ShaneB827130 above.
Dec 30, 2004
102 posts
2 upvotes
Kanus wrote:
Feb 29th, 2016 7:25 am
Yes you're wrong. I have a Sprint version and it's working on Rogers without unlocking. You just need to change network settings as described by ShaneB827130 above.
I knew sprint MOTO e is unlocked to international carriers, so not surprised it's working with rogers . But this is first time i heard it's also unlocked to US carriers. Even on slickdeals(us version rfd) there are hundreds page discussing this phone ,but nobody succeed using it with att and tmo.
verizon version is totally different through .
Feb 29, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
The folks at slickdeals are totally technically incompetent. They run around like headless sheep following whatever and whomever tells them what they want to hear. Now if you'd have said that the folks at xda-developers or even howardforums were having trouble, that would be different, but when the folks at slickdeals can't figure something out it's not even close to significant.
Jan 18, 2008
972 posts
413 upvotes
Ottawa
This is an old thread but it's first hit on Google. This week I stuck a Public Mobile SIM in an old Boost (Sprint) Moto E. I bought this in the US and used with Ring Plus and later Ting (both Sprint MVNOs).

Worked great after I changed from "CDMA only" to automatic and power cycled. However I have two questions.

1. It still has warnings for GSM roaming enabled, is it okay if I disable those (have Canada wide on PM)?

2. It won't let me create an APN, "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user". I assume this means no data (the PM account has no monthly data but does have a data booster that's used occasionally). Is there a way to allow APN creation? Or is this a limitation of the XT1526 using a non-US SIM?

Thanks!
=aw
Apr 17, 2014
720 posts
233 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I just did the same thing the other day with that a phone sitting in a drawer. It never let me Save the APN. Tried for 30 minutes googling and all that. No luck.

But when I turned off WiFi,. Boom LTE appeared in the top notification part
and it worked. No APN. On Public mobile

Correct you are not roaming. Allow it. You won't roam, public won't charge you. It's prepaid.

Also to avoid the constaint prompt in the messenging app instead use Google messenger.