Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
tk1000 wrote: Forget a missing headphone jack, the Pixel 2 doesn’t even have a DAC
Here's why that's important to you as a consumer
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/06/pixe ... c-missing/

Pixel 2 to only offer unlimited original quality Google Photos uploads until 2020
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/06/goog ... xl-policy/
Both important things to note for potential buyers, although personally neither omission will actually impact my usage. The reason I bought the 128GB version of the XL 2 is because I strongly prefer restricting most of my data to local storage only. I've never liked the idea of my personal photos and videos uploaded to the cloud. I regularly backup my photos and video to a portable USB hard drive, and extremely large videos I'll delete off my phone and keep them only as part of the backup/PC copy. Photos and more manageable videos I keep on the phone's internal memory, disabling cloud storage.

As far as music goes, I prefer using a dedicated device for that (currently a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17), which has better sound quality, saves my phone's battery, and features vastly more storage (which I need since I keep all my music in FLAC).
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just read on 9to5google that the two Pixels have different kind of speakers. Pixel 2 is louder and tinnier while the Pixel 2XL is fuller but is quieter. Why would they do that? I have to wait for reviews to decide on this phone. Also so many issues like no headphones included, banding on the display etc.
-
Aug 15, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
The design of the new pixel phones is not that exciting. Too much of a bezel in comparison to newer flagships.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7812 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
@AMRadio, I dont feel the same as you , I just sold my G6 after owning about 6 week, The device was just horrible, IMHO LG crams their phones full of stuff, but honestly that battery life is horrible and the screen is just too dim, if you are outside it requires 100% brightness and watch your battery drain. I also found compared to 3 previous devices once my BES corp software was put on the device it even became worse with the same settings. I would not recommend the G6 at all personally
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
Rouzbehh wrote: The design of the new pixel phones is not that exciting. Too much of a bezel in comparison to newer flagships.
At least they made used of the space by putting another speaker. This is what I want from every company since hTc came out with BoomSound.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Rouzbehh wrote: The design of the new pixel phones is not that exciting. Too much of a bezel in comparison to newer flagships.
Yup agreed....except they do have an amazing camera and it's all about software now and they're way ahead of all the other phones in functionality
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15212 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
bembol wrote: At least they made used of the space by putting another speaker. This is what I want from every company since hTc came out with BoomSound.
+1 I'll take a slightly larger top and bottom bezel if it meant having dual front firing stereo speakers
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10083 posts
1417 upvotes
Really waiting on reviewers to evaluate the speakers - nearly all the first impression videos never made a mention, AFAIK.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mcg wrote: Really waiting on reviewers to evaluate the speakers - nearly all the first impression videos never made a mention, AFAIK.
9to5google said smaller Pixel 2 sounds louder and tinnier while the larger one is not as loud but sound is fuller.
-
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
SureshA720227 wrote: I just read on 9to5google that the two Pixels have different kind of speakers. Pixel 2 is louder and tinnier while the Pixel 2XL is fuller but is quieter. Why would they do that? I have to wait for reviews to decide on this phone. Also so many issues like no headphones included, banding on the display etc.
The two phones are manufactured by two different companies.

The Pixel is by HTC and the XL is by LG
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1565 posts
1530 upvotes
These phones would be nice, at half the price. But seeing as I've been burned with Google devices before (Pixel C died after 18 months, out of warranty and replacement parts are non-existant) I wouldn't way what they're asking for this. They're asking for Apple prices when you can get the base phones for these for less than half the price. If you don't believe me check the LG G6 deals in Hot Deals.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1603 posts
2031 upvotes
Vancouver
Just a heads up, there is an inside deal for Telus Google Pixel preorders.

Pixel 2 64GB - $0 on a $100 plan unlimited nationwide with 4GB (+1gb for telus home customers).

Pixel 2 XL 64gb - $250 upfront on the same plan above.

Both come with the free Google Home Mini.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
Flunk wrote: These phones would be nice, at half the price. But seeing as I've been burned with Google devices before (Pixel C died after 18 months, out of warranty and replacement parts are non-existant) I wouldn't way what they're asking for this. They're asking for Apple prices when you can get the base phones for these for less than half the price. If you don't believe me check the LG G6 deals in Hot Deals.
Are you really comparing the LG G6 to the Pixel 2?

I guess the Nvidia Shield is really just a MiBox....
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
Flunk wrote: These phones would be nice, at half the price. But seeing as I've been burned with Google devices before (Pixel C died after 18 months, out of warranty and replacement parts are non-existant) I wouldn't way what they're asking for this. They're asking for Apple prices when you can get the base phones for these for less than half the price. If you don't believe me check the LG G6 deals in Hot Deals.
An lg g6 is not the same as a google phone. Plus you have to jump through hoops to get it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
Apple iPhone 8 Plus is $359 on Rogers Premium+ and Google Pixel XL 2 is $449. Both are 64GB.

I don't wanna know how much the PREMIUM plans cost which where am at. I can't get them to change it to + without changing my monthly cost. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4758 posts
383 upvotes
Does PLED perform as well as OLED? What are the differences? Some reviews online say PLED is inferior but is necessary because of the bending frame.
May 9, 2014
41 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
HoboEater wrote: Just a heads up, there is an inside deal for Telus Google Pixel preorders.

Pixel 2 64GB - $0 on a $100 plan unlimited nationwide with 4GB (+1gb for telus home customers).

Pixel 2 XL 64gb - $250 upfront on the same plan above.

Both come with the free Google Home Mini.
Where are you seeing this? On their website? I cannot see this deal. I see Pixel 2 XL on Telus starting at 450 on Premium+ and 650 on Premium tab. :(
American Express Gold (30K) | American Express Business Gold (40K) | American Express Business Platinum (75K)
BMO World Elite Mastercard (Primary Card)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)