Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Sep 28, 2017
199 posts
404 upvotes
HoboEater wrote: Just a heads up, there is an inside deal for Telus Google Pixel preorders.

Pixel 2 64GB - $0 on a $100 plan unlimited nationwide with 4GB (+1gb for telus home customers).

Pixel 2 XL 64gb - $250 upfront on the same plan above.

Both come with the free Google Home Mini.
Rogers has one where smart tab (I currently pay $65 for unlimited nationwide with 4gb but the plan is advertised at $75) has pixel XL pre-order for $750. In a 2 year period, you'll be paying over $200+ more with Telus if you're paying $100 a month.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2305 posts
2721 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Flunk wrote: These phones would be nice, at half the price. But seeing as I've been burned with Google devices before (Pixel C died after 18 months, out of warranty and replacement parts are non-existant) I wouldn't way what they're asking for this. They're asking for Apple prices when you can get the base phones for these for less than half the price. If you don't believe me check the LG G6 deals in Hot Deals.
Google replaced my Nexus 6p for defective battery issue 8 months after warranty ended.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
6609 posts
3909 upvotes
Nexus phones needs to come back. They were all well received so I'm not sure why Google stopped making the mid-range, affordable and best value phones... Maybe stick with Huawei as the manufacturer since the 6P was the best out of the bunch.

Now Google is competing with the high-end flagships of Samsung, LG, and Apple, and their only advantage over their competition is the "pure stock" Android experience and getting the OS updates first.
Nov 3, 2007
906 posts
63 upvotes
Cambridge
Seem to be getting pretty pricey...........Into iphone territory now.
Really Google doesn't make them. The have phones made for them to their requirements
I still have a Nexus 6 but wont be spending this much as theres tax yet as well.
Cambridge,Ontario
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
trinxified wrote: Nexus phones needs to come back. They were all well received so I'm not sure why Google stopped making the mid-range, affordable and best value phones... Maybe stick with Huawei as the manufacturer since the 6P was the best out of the bunch.

Now Google is competing with the high-end flagships of Samsung, LG, and Apple, and their only advantage over their competition is the "pure stock" Android experience and getting the OS updates first.
Nexus line affordability is taken away when you can get an older Galaxy device for that price with the same or similar hardware.

Besides Google is making a lot of money and wants to compete with Apple. How do you compete with Apple who makes their own hardware and software? Google decides to have direct input when designing their own hardware.

Motorola is still around for anyone that wants affordable and close to vanilla droid experience.

I think the price premium of a Google device for immediate updates and continuous updates is worthwhile over yesteryear's Galaxy/Note.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2008
1153 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
Nexus line was bare basics and a developer phone foremost.
No advertising, no customer service, iffy hardware support. Google is charging more to basically provide a start-to-finish support for the phone, which is aimed at the general public, the end goal is to sell more phones.
To take on likes of Apple and Samsung this is a must and is working out well in their favor.
Banned
Sep 21, 2017
26 posts
37 upvotes
any different if I pre-order from carrier(Fido) vs Google? I want the black and white version but Google store is out of stock.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
Sn0wWhite wrote: any different if I pre-order from carrier(Fido) vs Google? I want the black and white version but Google store is out of stock.
It'll be the same wait. Google supplies to the carriers.

So if Google is out, so are the carriers.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10083 posts
1417 upvotes
I don't think google phones can ever hold value or justify their high price tag vs iPhones. There are other manufacturers that can make and do the same thing minus frequent android version updates.

Take Samsung s8+. If they had a google edition of that, I'd be all over it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote: I don't think google phones can ever hold value or justify their high price tag vs iPhones. There are other manufacturers that can make and do the same thing minus frequent android version updates.

Take Samsung s8+. If they had a google edition of that, I'd be all over it.
I think your post speaks for itself.

Google can charge whatever it wants, but it's justified by demand.

Look how fast the pre-orders have already gone out for each variant of the phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2963 posts
481 upvotes
Scarborough
I am debating between the Pixel 2 and the Note 8....hard to decide
Telus: $50/100GB CAN/US 5G+
Rogers $34/40GB 5G+
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2820 posts
985 upvotes
GTA
Sn0wWhite wrote: any different if I pre-order from carrier(Fido) vs Google? I want the black and white version but Google store is out of stock.
I rather order directly from Google for warranty purposes. Google is really good with that. Google is comparable to Apple. The only difference is that Google only ships while Apple has stores available. Would you rather go through warranty with Google or Fido?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's the Pixel why would it make a difference where we buy it?

Are you saying we need to send it to Fido first, then they send it to Google?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
ninety5teg wrote: I am debating between the Pixel 2 and the Note 8....hard to decide
Personally, I'm not anal about stock android and TouchWiz has greatly improved.

Stock android vs S-Pen, IP68, microSD

Note 8 easily.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: Personally, I'm not anal about stock android and TouchWiz has greatly improved.

Note 8 easily.
How often does one even use the S-Pen?

Seems like the most gimicky feature of any phone out there, only bested by Moto Mods. I know only one person that uses the S-Pen religiously on his Note, and he's a independent contractor who uses it to have clients sign off on completed jobs on pdfs.

The original Pixel was quite splash resistant, if not water-proof to an extent. I submerged mine, accidentally, and it came out working fine. As in, it sat in a tub of water and booted right back up after it was found.

I think the lack of external storage is defeated by the unlimited cloud storage that the Pixel line offers.

Even with a 256 MicroSD card, once its full, you need to start saving onto personal drives or pay for cloud storage, but with the Pixel line, Google takes care of all of this for you.

One time cost of a MicroSD < Unlimited RAW storage of Pixel pics and videos.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
bembol wrote: It's the Pixel why would it make a difference where we buy it?

Are you saying we need to send it to Fido first, then they send it to Google?
With the Pixel and Pixel XL, you needed to contact Fido first.

"If you didn’t buy your Pixel or Pixel XL on the Google Store, contact the retailer where you purchased it. You can always contact Google support if you have additional questions."
from https://support.google.com/store/troubl ... %2C7168941

Not sure about the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL since the warranty details are not online yet

See https://support.google.com/store/topic/ ... ic=7168940
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2692 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
It’s the same and that’s the incentive you get with your phone from google directly by paying all that money at once

tk1000 wrote: With the Pixel and Pixel XL, you needed to contact Fido first.

"If you didn’t buy your Pixel or Pixel XL on the Google Store, contact the retailer where you purchased it. You can always contact Google support if you have additional questions."
from https://support.google.com/store/troubl ... %2C7168941

Not sure about the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL since the warranty details are not online yet

See https://support.google.com/store/topic/ ... ic=7168940
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
bembol wrote: Personally, I'm not anal about stock android and TouchWiz has greatly improved.

Note 8 easily.
Even with the S8 which I have... The Samsung phones seem to slow down greatly after a few months and their lack of warranty/support is an issue . It's ridiculous how as big as they are and for price, they still don't have warranty or support and just outsource it .
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Even with the S8 which I have... The Samsung phones seem to slow down greatly after a few months and their lack of warranty/support is an issue . It's ridiculous how as big as they are and for price, they still don't have warranty or support and just outsource it .
Look at how crappy their pre-order/trade system is.

After the Note 7, they shafted every previous owner except those in the US.

And in the US they charged back customers after declining trade in of mint condition phones, cause consumers were buying refurbs to guarantee the trade in process.

Samsung needs to give up on TouchWiz, regardless if it's "lite" now.

They make really good hardware (*Note 7) but TouchWiz is atrocious.

Like you said, after a few months apps crash or the phone gets bogged down.

Maybe @bembol doesn't experience it since he swaps phones so often.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
I can confirm from first hand experience that the purchase of Samsung phones include warranty on paper but god forbid you actually need to talk to them for anything.
I think that’s really the next step for Android manufacturers and certainly one of the areas where pixel phones will have an advantage over other android devices like Samsung ones.
As for the phone slowing down, I had an S8+ for a while, touchwiz (or the now call it Samsung expenrience) worked nicely most of people the time but did stutter a few times as if the phone needed to catch its breath.
Samsung Would do well to think about having a google experience version of their devices and learn to differentiate themselves a different way than Samsung experience.

Cheers,
rebel_rfd wrote: Look at how crappy their pre-order/trade system is.

After the Note 7, they shafted every previous owner except those in the US.

And in the US they charged back customers after declining trade in of mint condition phones, cause consumers were buying refurbs to guarantee the trade in process.

Samsung needs to give up on TouchWiz, regardless if it's "lite" now.

They make really good hardware (*Note 7) but TouchWiz is atrocious.

Like you said, after a few months apps crash or the phone gets bogged down.

Maybe @bembol doesn't experience it since he swaps phones so often.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)