Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
72 upvotes
Hola
On a different note does anyone know if any of the carriers or brick and mortar resellers will have the Pixel 2 XL on display anytime soon? Reading through a few threads on XDA, some items we should be looking out for:
1. Actual display looks much less vivid compared to Samsung panels. Whether this is good or bad is really subjective on your personal preference, though it seems to be the norm that Sammy panels are currently unmatched in the industry.
2. Display banding especially when lowering the brightness levels to around 10%. Sammy panels had these issues around the S4 period but I grew to just accept it as part of OLED technology.
3. Total brightness is around 600 nits (can't recall where I saw this value) so it won't be as bright in direct sunlight compared, again, to Sammy devices.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Sn0wWhite wrote: any different if I pre-order from carrier(Fido) vs Google? I want the black and white version but Google store is out of stock.
Have a look through the forums on the Fido site, but I feel l like I remember reading certain features might only be available if you purchase the phone through Fido. Wifi calling and VoLTE are coming to mind. If it's true, it's kinda BS Fido is "crippling" phones not purchased through them. Again, I'm not 100%, but it's worth having a look.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
3635 posts
1638 upvotes
I'm debating between LG V30 and Pixel 2 XL. LG V30's p-oled screen has issues at 0 - 25% brightness (bleed and banding). Pixel 2 XL is using the same screen. Wondering if Pixel 2 XL has the same screen issue as V30 or not?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3943 posts
1374 upvotes
Vancouver
moh2010 wrote: Hola
On a different note does anyone know if any of the carriers or brick and mortar resellers will have the Pixel 2 XL on display anytime soon? Reading through a few threads on XDA, some items we should be looking out for:
1. Actual display looks much less vivid compared to Samsung panels. Whether this is good or bad is really subjective on your personal preference, though it seems to be the norm that Sammy panels are currently unmatched in the industry.
2. Display banding especially when lowering the brightness levels to around 10%. Sammy panels had these issues around the S4 period but I grew to just accept it as part of OLED technology.
3. Total brightness is around 600 nits (can't recall where I saw this value) so it won't be as bright in direct sunlight compared, again, to Sammy devices.
If you happen to be in the States, Verizon stores have display models of pixel 2 and pixel xl 2 available.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10083 posts
1417 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: I think your post speaks for itself.

Google can charge whatever it wants, but it's justified by demand.

Look how fast the pre-orders have already gone out for each variant of the phone.
Not sure what you meant, but definitely agree that Google can charge whatever they want - they actually have something going for them, ie. stock android/custom ROM fanboys like myself and awesome software processing for the camera to produce excellent photos.

The Pixel 2's only really sold out in the black/white XL version... everything else seems available in a month or so.

I'm actually looking at the S8+ right now... the XL2's side bezels disappoint me. I'm going to miss custom ROMs and root for now, but I guess I'll live with it temporarily.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
yow2kvil wrote: It also says the SoC is not active yet
Yup.. already blowing away competition now , with 8.1 in a few weeks, there'll be an even bigger difference in quality than currently

Google's huge lead in software is allowing it much better image processing with even off the shelf hardware

https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/ ... g-pixel-2/
Let's delve into the details for you technical folks out there: The centerpiece of Pixel Visual Core is the Google-designed Image Processing Unit (IPU)—a fully programmable, domain-specific processor designed from scratch to deliver maximum performance at low power. With eight Google-designed custom cores, each with 512 arithmetic logic units (ALUs), the IPU delivers raw performance of more than 3 trillion operations per second on a mobile power budget. Using Pixel Visual Core, HDR+ can run 5x faster and at less than one-tenth the energy than running on the application processor (AP). A key ingredient to the IPU’s efficiency is the tight coupling of hardware and software—our software controls many more details of the hardware than in a typical processor. Handing more control to the software makes the hardware simpler and more efficient, but it also makes the IPU challenging to program using traditional programming languages. To avoid this, the IPU leverages domain-specific languages that ease the burden on both developers and the compiler: Halide for image processing and TensorFlow for machine learning. A custom Google-made compiler optimizes the code for the underlying hardware.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
This is a hype tour de force if I've ever seen one... the fact that they didn't blast this at the world during the Pixel intro event is perplexing to say the least.
I wonder how this will affect battery life and how much of the pixel's functionality will actually integrate with this new SOC.

Cheers,
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: No wonder the pixel2 has pics and camera that blow away the rest including Samsung.

Google has their own Google SoC for image processing

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10 ... sual-core/
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2976 posts
2012 upvotes
Calgary
Have to check the reviews to see if anyone mentions display issues.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote: Have to check the reviews to see if anyone mentions display issues.
There is that "sunken display" regarding the XL 2
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2976 posts
2012 upvotes
Calgary
rebel_rfd wrote: There is that "sunken display" regarding the XL 2
Yeah. I was meaning more like the banding, light bleed, and hotspots at lower brightness settings.

That said, if Google had a payment plan I'd be all over this. It looks like the perfect device for me, but the price is a killer. Even if I sold my OnePlus 5 I'd still only cover about half the cost.
Aug 21, 2011
173 posts
31 upvotes
MONTR
Will the Pixel 2 devices be shipped on Oct 19 or can those who pre-ordered expect to have it delivered on that date?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2976 posts
2012 upvotes
Calgary
Hmm.... Android Central was quite critical of the Pixel 2 XL's display.

Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4676 posts
3823 upvotes
Edmonton
Aug 6, 2004
364 posts
Downtown Toronto
Sorry if this has been answered a billion times.

I pre-ordered the Pixel 2 kinda-blue on Oct 4th during their presentation and I am given a quoted delivery day of November 22nd-29th, which seems far too long.

I am trying to buy the phone outright in Toronto and my carrier is Telus. I was told by Telus I am unable to preorder it if I don't want a plan attached to it.

Where can I buy the phone on launch day or pre-order it tomorrow?

I am worried about stock levels, as I am waiting on the 'kinda-blue' colour.
Last edited by ephemoL on Oct 17th, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 13, 2012
397 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right thread for contract questions but i'll ask anyway.

I'm currently off-contract with Rogers using a Lumia 1020 and want to upgrade to a Pixel 2 in the blue colour. What are the chances that I can walk into any store this Friday to snag one and sign up for a 2yr contract? I don't hate my current plan but I'm not in love with it either.

Also, I haven't signed a contract in years now so I'm not familiar with the plans Rogers is offering these days. Looking at the Best Buy pre-order page for the phone, I'd have to sign up for a 2yr "Premium Plus Plan". What kinds of plans are these? In my situation, I barely use my phone for making and taking calls, but I do text a fair bit. I'd also need a data plan for streaming music and web surfing and apps. Will there be a "Premium Plus Plan" that I'll be happy with?

I'm in the Toronto area if that helps. Thanks for any feedback!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2692 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
rapsfan50 wrote: Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right thread for contract questions but i'll ask anyway.

I'm currently off-contract with Rogers using a Lumia 1020 and want to upgrade to a Pixel 2 in the blue colour. What are the chances that I can walk into any store this Friday to snag one and sign up for a 2yr contract? I don't hate my current plan but I'm not in love with it either.

Also, I haven't signed a contract in years now so I'm not familiar with the plans Rogers is offering these days. Looking at the Best Buy pre-order page for the phone, I'd have to sign up for a 2yr "Premium Plus Plan". What kinds of plans are these? In my situation, I barely use my phone for making and taking calls, but I do text a fair bit. I'd also need a data plan for streaming music and web surfing and apps. Will there be a "Premium Plus Plan" that I'll be happy with?

I'm in the Toronto area if that helps. Thanks for any feedback!
Unless you are getting it way cheaper than MSRP, just get it from Google.
Google's customer service is AMAZING and its only provided to those bought from Google playstore directly.
Not worth getting it from your carrier unless you get like $300-500 off with 2yr contract.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2003
1748 posts
351 upvotes
Vancouver
I ordered a Kinda Blue Pixel 2 on Oct 4th, but not till the evening b/c I was still deciding whether I should purchase. My estimated delivery is Nov 22-29. Seeing that ephemoL ordered during the presentation and has an estimated delivery of November 20th, I wonder what the earliest delivery date is for Kinda Blue in Canada?

I'm still using my Nexus 4 that I bought in 2012, so I'm waaaay overdue for a new phone.
Aug 6, 2004
364 posts
Downtown Toronto
amberjill wrote: I ordered a Kinda Blue Pixel 2 on Oct 4th, but not till the evening b/c I was still deciding whether I should purchase. My estimated delivery is Nov 22-29. Seeing that ephemoL ordered during the presentation and has an estimated delivery of November 20th, I wonder what the earliest delivery date is for Kinda Blue in Canada?

I'm still using my Nexus 4 that I bought in 2012, so I'm waaaay overdue for a new phone.
Actually, correction, mine is the same delivery timeframe as yours. I editted my post just now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)