Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
I knew I should've skipped the Pixel. Poorly designed, costly and got too excited about Assistant. It doesn't help I'm an addict but I lost money upgrading and the most PITA phone I've sold.

Lesson learned.

It may not be pure android but close enough. OnePlus. Yes, I know customer service and warranty is important but doubt I'll keep it long enough. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
The first Pixel's design felt rushed and incomplete, lacking even the water/dustproofing of contemporary models it was competing with while asking the same money. Hopefully the second release will be more refined, and I'll finally be able to replace my Nexus 6p.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So the release date is almost here and we have some leaks related to it. The most reliable source would be Android Police.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/11 ... ble-frame/

Another one:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/26 ... -5mm-jack/

Also some recent articles from last week indicate that headphone jack will be gone but probably on the smaller models only.

Here is what I hope it will be:

1. 5.5" and 6" models with slimmer body and stereo speakers (5" is too small with on-screen buttons and will make battery smaller).
2. Water resistance and wireless charging (Though very less chance of getting wireless charging because of small glass window on the back used only for wireless signals).
3. Larger batteries
4. At least 3 years of OS updates (similar pricing with Apple-so we should expect at least 3 years of support).
5. Headphone jack

What are your expectations? I am currently using a Galaxy S7 and can't wait to upgrade.
-
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5690 posts
3654 upvotes
GTA
Water resistance
Less bezel / bigger screen
Better speakers

I think I'd be okay with that. I don't expect much more.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't google take a jab at apple for not including a headphone jack? Smh, I sincerely hope there is a headphone jack because that leaked image of the Pixel XL2 looks sooo nice.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
This year is the first year I want to a "smaller" phone by getting the regular pixel. I like it a lot personally but would have loved having dual facing from speakers or honestly even just one. The down facing speaker is a pain.

That being said, no head phone jack no desire for me to get it. I was on the BT headphone train for a bit but then went back to my corded headphones and like them significantly more.

Too bad I'm like in the smaller form factor because there doesn't seem to be many options in that field.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Evil Baby wrote: This year is the first year I want to a "smaller" phone by getting the regular pixel. I like it a lot personally but would have loved having dual facing from speakers or honestly even just one. The down facing speaker is a pain.

That being said, no head phone jack no desire for me to get it. I was on the BT headphone train for a bit but then went back to my corded headphones and like them significantly more.

Too bad I'm like in the smaller form factor because there doesn't seem to be many options in that field.
I agree with you. However the bigger issue I feel is that Google or any other Android manufacturer that removed the headphone jack do not have a good wireless solution. Some of them don't even include headphones in the box. HTC has at least included a USB-C headphone in the box that I heard is great sounding too. Apple has lighntning headphones and Airpods for wireless use. At least they have options. This phone likely wont come with headphones bundled so it creates a painful situation for us to find a good USB-C or wireless headphone (for an extra price too). I wonder whether the HTC U11 headphones work with this smaller Pixel which is said to be built by HTC.
-
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3478 posts
3857 upvotes
Antarctica
Stop the slimming already.

I would rather have more juice than a slim phone that will not matter once put into a decent case. When will this stupid madness end?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Crichtonfan wrote: Stop the slimming already.

I would rather have more juice than a slim phone that will not matter once put into a decent case. When will this stupid madness end?
The slimming is dumb, but I dislike the slight curves screen more. This just means I can't get a proper glass protector for the phone.

I go with no case, well actually a super thin case, not even thick enough to protrude passed the buttons, but I couldn't use a glass screen protector because of the stupid but off curve on the edges.

My screen still looks good, but there are a bunch of tiny scratches on it. Not noticable when turned on, but I would have rather had those on a glass screen protector.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tk1000 wrote: Google will reportedly announce the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL on October 5
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/24/pixe ... van-blass/

I am pretty excited and have been saving over time. BUT, I am really concerned about pricing. I just checked the price for 5" regular Pixel 128GB and it is $1030+taxes. Like WTF? Even the iPhone 7 256GB is like $750 on Koodo. If the Pixel 2 will have higher price than the first gen, I will have to wait for the price drop.
-
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5751 posts
2584 upvotes
Toronto
I think the original Pixel and Pixel XL saw success because of the Note 7 mishap.

I'm not sure how strong sales will be for Pixel 2 this year.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rebel_rfd wrote: I'm not sure how strong sales will be for Pixel 2 this year.
I purchased a Pixel XL in April for full price because I needed a phone. It was a disappointment, I'll probably upgrade when the new one is released in October.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks like Snapdragon 836 is pushed back to early next year so the Pixel 2 duo won't get it.

-
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yikes, looks like the Pixel XL2 is going to be $849 US. I guess we should have all expected that considering where the prices of phones are headed lately thanks to Samsung / Apple.

Android Life.

Too rich for my blood personally.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)