Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:10 am
Aug 19, 2008
904 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
jdh799 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 4:00 pm
I've used Nexus/Pixel phones before, and I would contend that about 95% of the so called software experience that you get from a Google branded phone over a Samsung/LG/HTC/OnePlus/Moto can be obtained on any Android phone by customizing the launcher, default apps, etc. Meanwhile, there's no similar way that you have of mitigating the lack of hardware features, and terrible quality display on the Pixel 2. I typically choose not to go with Google phones because I find they are lacking in hardware and overall features at the same price point as other flagships.
You need to use one for a while to see the benefits of a nexus/google phone, a 5 minute session in the store doesn't reveal much.
That is the same reason that most of the youtube reviewers fall back to the pixel as a daily after playing with all kinds of phones in the market, even though it's nowhere as flashy as many of the flagships last year.
Slapping a launcher on a samsung again is just a shallow look at the same issue. If you think as long as it looks the same, they are the same, then you are not looking at this correctly. There are tons of optimizations under the hood that completes the experience.
Not to mention the pixel 2 phones will have the "Pixel Visual Core" in another word a completely different SOC for imaging applications compared to majority of the flagships this year, but again this is under the hood so it might not interest the average consumer.
Nov 6, 2006
510 posts
18 upvotes
Hi,

What tempered glass and case do you guys recommend for the pixel 2 (NOT XL)

Thanks
Oct 14, 2010
538 posts
72 upvotes
Lmao. How "terrible" can the display really be? Is everyone referring to the blue tint you get from tilting the screen?
Dec 4, 2008
495 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
6o4_dc wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 8:44 pm
Lmao. How "terrible" can the display really be? Is everyone referring to the blue tint you get from tilting the screen?
Honestly, I've always seen Sammy AMOLED phones have insane teal tint from angle tilt.
So I don't know why people are freaking out now...
Oct 14, 2010
538 posts
72 upvotes
Taknarosh wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 8:53 pm
Honestly, I've always seen Sammy AMOLED phones have insane teal tint from angle tilt.
So I don't know why people are freaking out now...
Hold up. Let me watch this video with the screen tilted.
Sep 1, 2013
383 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
When I first read about the early screen issues (the "muted" colors) I wasn't overly concerned. As someone who regularly uses professionally calibrated monitors geared towards accuracy, I actually prefer that to the oversaturated look of other phones. The viewing angle stuff didn't sound like a huge issue... but the latest reports of burn-in after just a week of use? I'm thinking that may be a deal breaker for me. It was too late to cancel my order as it shipped early this morning, however depending how this situation unfolds over the next few days I may decide to just initiate a return without even opening it (particularly if there's no official statement/conclusion from Google on the burn-in by that time). Another weird issue I've read about recently is that apparently the upper speaker is about 10 decibels quieter than the lower one, which could be irritating during use for those with sensitive ears.

I've been a fan of Google phones since my first smartphone, the Nexus 5. That was an excellent device... sure, it had some compromises (battery life chief among them), but it performed great and was sold for a relative pittance. I went from the Nexus 5 to the 6, and finally to the 6P I'm using now. While the later two were somewhat more expensive, they had far fewer compromises in their design and were still a bargain compared to other flagship phones. Then the first Pixel came out and kind of turned me off with its unusual aesthetic and ridiculous price when taking into account the missing features compared to similarly-priced flagship phones had (water/dust ratings, etc). I was also still a little resentful that Google had cancelled my beloved Nexus line, and so I decided to skip the Pixel, assuming that with a full year (rather than the half year or so they had for the first Pixel) Google could produce a truly stellar flagship with zero compromises.

For the price of the Nexus 5, I was more than willing to accept a few compromises in design for the excellent software experience it provided. For the price of the Pixel 2 XL, I expect zero compromises. It should be using the best OLED that exists, and clearly LG's production process of mobile-sized OLEDs is still working out the kinks. Understandable, given how long it took Samsung, but still unfortunate. I still very much wish Google had simply continued with the Nexus line, but hopefully they can perfect the Pixel in its third version and deal quickly with this supposed burn-in problem.
Aug 19, 2008
904 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Google's pushing AI foremost this year, as a result you will see features showing up that's optimized and only available on google phones and that's where the money's going to, not the best display nor the best DAC.
Nexus line was only about fast software upgrades, they did not put a lot of work into developing "nexus only" features.
If you watched google IO this year there are tons of new features behind the scenes that will come into play, the hardware is only a platform to show off the stages of these developments.
Samsung's main goal is to sell more smartphones and it is very apparent that their marketing department makes more decision than their engineering department, they want to check more boxes on spec sheets and wow the average consumer. Google on the other hand is the opposite.
Sep 1, 2013
383 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
Regardless, burn-in on a screen after barely a week of use is unacceptable. What will it look like after 6 months or a year? I'm not willing to pay $1000+ to find out; I'll let others take that gamble. If Google responds to this appropriately and corrects the issue, i may get one later on. What makes it most annoying is that the smaller, cheaper Pixel 2 has no such issues; its screen is from Samsung. Using an LG screen on the more premium offering was a mistake, plain and simple; one compromise too far.

As much as i like what Google is trying to accomplish with their Pixel line, they need to stop cutting corners. Excellent software can only go so far, and can only make up for hardware deficiencies up to a point.
Last edited by TM2Megatron on Oct 24th, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
Google is more likely to fix this issue or facilitate a swap than any other company except Apple.

They aren't cutting corners, just restricted by what they can do since they do not make their own hardware, yet.

You can have bleeding edge tech, but if the software/user interface is moot, what's the point?

Samsung Hardware keeps its lustre only for 6 months before the phone gets bogged down to TouchWiz code or is easily cannabalized by the next iteration in the Galaxy line. S9 will make Note 8 look meh.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8386 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
What a disaster.
May 20, 2005
696 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
I cancelled my pre-order. Guess I'll have to wait for the S9.

Also, its most likely not Google cutting corners but LG might be or LG's QA department sucks
Oct 18, 2016
35 posts
17 upvotes
Sad to say but LG's TV displays are far superior to their phone displays. At best, LG phone displays are a 3rd place in my books with Samsung leading the pack and Apple not far behind. I can't imagine that LG would've offered Google the same part for the display as in the V30.

It's truly unfortunate for the Pixel 2 XL though, as I had my eyes on it as my next phone. Nothing beats the clean experience of pure Android and timely updates.

I've cancelled my pre-order as a result of the reviews as well.

:-(
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16670 posts
375 upvotes
This sucks, this phone was the one I really wanted.
V30 it is then I guess. I'm due for a new phone in black Friday and this damn thing costs more than an iPhone!
dr4gon7 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:19 pm
I cancelled my pre-order. Guess I'll have to wait for the S9.

Also, its most likely not Google cutting corners but LG might be or LG's QA department sucks
Tonnes of other issues point to it being Google, not their suppliers. They got greedy.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)