Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 9:38 pm
Oct 18, 2012
90 posts
8 upvotes
Received mine yesterday black 128gb with a build date of Oct 28th. If I tilt the phone 10 degrees or just put it down on the table the screen turns blue. It's such a deal breaker.

I really liked the squeeze for Google assistant and now playing feature too. But it's going back to Google. Already ordered a one plus 5t
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
georgehan604 wrote: Received mine yesterday black 128gb with a build date of Oct 28th. If I tilt the phone 10 degrees or just put it down on the table the screen turns blue. It's such a deal breaker.

I really liked the squeeze for Google assistant and now playing feature too. But it's going back to Google. Already ordered a one plus 5t
Honestly it's pretty close to the X blue tint.

Only the Note 8 seems to have a barely noticeable blue tint.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
georgehan604 wrote: Received mine yesterday black 128gb with a build date of Oct 28th. If I tilt the phone 10 degrees or just put it down on the table the screen turns blue. It's such a deal breaker.

Sucks to hear that. I was contemplating the 5T but I think I'm going to order the Pixel 2 (non XL). I want a really good camera and the Google support. I hope I don't end up missing the larger screen of the XL since the last couple of phones were the 1+1 and the Nexus 6P.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
rebel_rfd wrote: Honestly it's pretty close to the X blue tint.

Only the Note 8 seems to have a barely noticeable blue tint.
The smaller Pixel 2 seems to have a barely noticeable tint as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
lobo wrote: Sucks to hear that. I was contemplating the 5T but I think I'm going to order the Pixel 2 (non XL). I want a really good camera and the Google support. I hope I don't end up missing the larger screen of the XL since the last couple of phones were the 1+1 and the Nexus 6P.
Haha same with me, the Pixel 2 XL is something I'm willing to pass on and I was deciding between the 5T and Pixel 2 as well.

Ended up going with the 5T - I played with the Pixel 2 instore and I could not get used to the phone. The display is just too small (worsened by the on-screen nav bar - takes up way too much real estate) and the bezels are monstrous. The display was definitely higher quality than on the 2XL though.

I may end up returning the 5T too if FHD doesn't work out for me - I've gotten too used to QHD, especially reading small text.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
For those that ordered the Pixel 2 or 2 XL, how do you get your free Google Home mini?

Edit: nvm, I found out that they send you a code a few weeks after you receive the new phone to get the mini.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1034 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
lobo wrote: For those that ordered the Pixel 2 or 2 XL, how do you get your free Google Home mini?

Edit: nvm, I found out that they send you a code a few weeks after you receive the new phone to get the mini.
Do you know when that deal with the free google mini expires?
Aug 27, 2006
817 posts
376 upvotes
Delta

I am in the same boat. I just receive mine yesterday. I was fully prepared to be ok with blue tint, especially if it was close to my buddies iPhone X, but man is it ever bad on this phone. 5 degree tilt and a portion of my screen goes blue, 10 degree whole screen gets a blue tint. It unacceptable if I cannot even wiggle my phone and not have the shift happen. I played around with it looking straight on in use gives the tint unacceptable. I so desperately wanted this phone but it goes back.
Last edited by Spud387 on Nov 23rd, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
kkl1208 wrote: Do you know when that deal with the free google mini expires?
Google Mini is like $40 right now for Black Friday - not really an enticing promo.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
kkl1208 wrote: Do you know when that deal with the free google mini expires?
For Canadian orders you have until Dec 31 and then Feb 2018 to claim the mini after you get the code from Google.
Dec 4, 2016
269 posts
124 upvotes
lobo wrote: For Canadian orders you have until Dec 31 and then Feb 2018 to claim the mini after you get the code from Google.
Just got my Pixel 2 today from Koodo but didn't pre-order where do I get this code?
Aug 27, 2006
817 posts
376 upvotes
Delta
kithid wrote: Just got my Pixel 2 today from Koodo but didn't pre-order where do I get this code?
You won't. You only get the code if you ordered it from Google directly. Some carriers have their own offers and you have to speak to them.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
Bit the bullet and got the Pixel 2. Great phone so far...it's super fast compared to my Nexus 6P. Going to put it through its paces this weekend and then put the 6P up for sale.

Any recommendations for a tempered glass screen protector? I'm getting the Spigen Neo Hybrid case so hopefully something that fits well with it.
Feb 25, 2014
145 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon Canada current listing of screen protectors are not worth your time and money. I don't know of any local shops that sell for the XL. If you can get one from the US, they may have some better ones.
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
72 upvotes
Hola

I am anal about protecting my phones, mostly in part that I resell them after a few months of usage. I find that the width of the Pixel 2 XL is a little too much for my likes so finding a very slim case was and will be a challenge. I first tried the Spigen Slim Fit Pro case and it gives decent enough protection while providing not too much additional bulk, but it was still too much extra bulk for my likes. So I found the following:

Phone case:
1. From Pro-mobile.ca (a Montreal based distributor of Chinese phone cases and screen protectors, I found them through Amazon.ca only to find out that their direct prices are slightly cheaper than what they have on Amazon). Shipping was normal via CanadaPost. https://www.pro-mobile.ca/search?type=p ... Pixel+2+XL (Google Pixel 2 XL - Silicone Phone Case). It covers the camera ok, but my case is slightly off center for the fingerprint scanner. It exposes the phone buttons, and does not provide any protection if you place your phone screen down on a flat surface. It works ok until I can find another as slim case but with better quality fit.

TPU screen protector:
1. My first screen protector was from Sparin (again from Amazon.ca) and they provide a cheaper alternative to Skinomi's wet applied TPU screen protector. I was very impressed with the overall quality but my application was not the best. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075V28J8M/ref ... 70_TE_item.
2. Eventually switched over to the BestBuy ClearPlex TPU protector. About $34 but you for the life of the device you can get a new replacement without any charges. It is a half decent film but my gosh does it keep oil, grease, and obviously fingerprint smudges. I do have to wipe my screen properly at least twice or thrice a day.
Jan 12, 2012
113 posts
111 upvotes
EDMONTON
tk1000 wrote: Cyber Monday offer at Google.com

"Save $50 on Pixel 2 and get a promo code for Google Home Mini on us. Valid until 11/30/2017. Discount off Google Store price."

from http://forums.redflagdeals.com/google-c ... i-2148410/

I got the Home Mini for $39 last friday and now they come out with this. Will the promo code work on top of the $39 discount? and for how long do I wait for it..

they say 4 weeks which is a long time. I'm not sure if I can just return mine, buy the Pixel 2 with the code, buy the Home Mini and hopefull get the promo code alongside the $39 discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3917 posts
2187 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Cyber Monday offer at Google.com

"Save $50 on Pixel 2 and get a promo code for Google Home Mini on us. Valid until 11/30/2017. Discount off Google Store price."

from http://forums.redflagdeals.com/google-c ... i-2148410/

I called Google and see if they could issue me the $50...The rep said I should just return the present purchase and buy it again with the new price...Well I guess it's fine since Google has free return service...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2007
1114 posts
137 upvotes
GTA

Received my 64GB with a build date of November 01 and exhibits severe blue tinting at the slightest tilt (less than 10 degrees for sure).

Sending it back to Rogers to get another one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)