Cell Phones

The Unofficial Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL Discussion Thread, now comes with 2-year global warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:10 am
Jan 8, 2008
358 posts
29 upvotes
Had the pixel XL and liked it. I had burn in on mine, but it didn't bother me too much (although it should be unacceptable, as others have said) just switched to the note 8 and love it. Although I like the idea of a clean Google phone, the note 8 is exceptional. I wish they still had Google versions of samsung and lg phones.
Sep 1, 2013
383 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
dr4gon7 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:19 pm
Also, its most likely not Google cutting corners but LG might be or LG's QA department sucks
Google could deflect blame with that kind of excuse back in the Nexus days, but they advertise the Pixel (and want it to be thought of) as "Made by Google". The downside of that is that they have to accept the blame for screw-ups.

It's seeming more and more like Google abandoned the Nexus line simply because they wanted to charge more, but aren't willing to back up that higher price with correspondingly improved hardware.
Mar 1, 2015
60 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
Will there be deals on black friday or should I just pull the trigger and get a baby Pixel 2?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ateddybear wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:06 am
Will there be deals on black friday or should I just pull the trigger and get a baby Pixel 2?
No one has a crystal ball

But if I was to take a guess. Carriers will offer promotions on price plans, but not hardware.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
1812 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 7:58 pm
This sucks, this phone was the one I really wanted.
V30 it is then I guess. I'm due for a new phone in black Friday and this damn thing costs more than an iPhone!

Tonnes of other issues point to it being Google, not their suppliers. They got greedy.
V30 display has a lot more issues than the 2 XL.
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8386 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to see Google backing their product, and a 2 year "Google-level" warranty is exceptional.

Will be great to be able to replace the phone at any point until 2019-2020 for all the issues it already has.
Nov 6, 2006
510 posts
18 upvotes
Hi

I just got my Pixel 2, the small one
I notice that when I look at the screen at an angle the screen turn slightly blue. With a white background, the color difference is notable.

Guessing I am not the only one.

Is that a defective screen or that's the way the AMOLED display behave ??

Cheers
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
1812 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
waltereo wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:14 pm
Hi

I notice that when I look at the screen at an angle the screen turn slightly blue. With a white background, the color difference is notable.

Cheers
Generally that's the case with all OLEDs but the Pixel is kinda on the more bluer side.
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2412 posts
672 upvotes
GTA
waltereo wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:14 pm
Hi

Cheers
That is the nature of the beast with AMOLED. My S8 is the same and it is considered to be the best display on the market.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26156 posts
6051 upvotes
GTHA
turning off NFC will stop the clicking

As for the clicking sound that some Pixel 2 users were hearing during calls, a separate thread on the user forums suggests that Google has pinned down the issue on a software bug in the NFC functionality, and promise a fix is on the way. In the meantime, turning off NFC will stop the clicking.
from https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/26/googl ... e-pixel-2/
Jan 12, 2012
19 posts
4 upvotes
EDMONTON
I wanna buy one but the exchange rate is crazy. $650 USD = $830 but they're charging $900, plus tax. Then again if you don't buy it from the Google Store, idk about the 2-year warranty. Sigh.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16670 posts
375 upvotes
yo2boy wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:29 pm
V30 display has a lot more issues than the 2 XL.
Really? Like what? Please let me know.

It's also a lot cheaper which makes it less of a deal imo

Edit, read my response again and it sounded a bit flippant, and that 100% wasn't my intention. My question was serious.